Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 11:43 AM

17,299 posts, read 13,042,795 times

Advertisements

https://www.nextavenue.org/take-love...-car-key-away/

Taking dad's keys was one of the hardest things I ever did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 12:23 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times
It really is not your decision to make and you could be criminally liable for doing so without his agreement. You can convince him to give up driving, but unless you are appointed his guardian by a court, you cannot force him to do so.

We are currently dealing with this with my father. Waiting to see how well he recovers. Before his recent issue the the doctors do not know what was the cause (probably a virus), he was fine driving short distances during the day, but should not drive at night and not when he is sick or even not feeling well. He has been avoiding long trips or night driving already for several years, usually handing the keys to whomever is with him. The current question is whether he should be driving at all. His reactions seem reasonably good, vision is better than mine, he cannot hear well, and struggles with memory at times. He still drives better than 75% of the driver out there as he does not ever look at texts or at his phone and does not drink. It is appalling when a mom goes on and on about how some older driver is endangering her kids and then gets in the car and starts staring at her phone while driving - lady you are far more of a danger to children than any old person is likely to be.

If we can get him to come live with us, he might be fine. Where we live, all speed limits are 25 or 35 mph. There are only a couple of traffic lights, few 4 ways stops, nothing confusing or fast moving. Maybe we can get him into a Gem (modified golf cart with an enclosed cabin and heat - goes about 35 mph.) I am more comfortable with older people slowing down. An 88 year old driving 88 mph is a concern most of the time. however at 35 mph they may well be fine.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 12-10-2018 at 12:31 PM..

Old 12-10-2018, 12:39 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
No matter the speed limits, older people with issues, memory for sure, should NOT be behind the wheel, we've had some tragic accidents in our town by older people killing others, these people should NOT be behind the wheel of a machine that can kill.

We got my dad to give up his keys and the small town he lived in didn't even have traffic lights.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:47 PM

37,729 posts, read 40,764,681 times
This is why they have to get the self-driving cars perfected. It's so important that older people maintain their independence and it would also take away the burden and expense of driving them around for their relatives. I wonder how many people would not have go to old age homes of all types (saving a lot of money for them and their relatives), if they didn't have to worry about driving.

Self-driving cars and home assistance robots should have been in the works and perfected before the baby boomers started to retire since they are a big group. They could even still go on vacation, go to club meetings and visit friends who also can't drive anymore in addition to going to stores and doctor's appointments with a self-driving car.

I don't drive at all at night anymore except once a month I go to a night meeting around the corner. I didn't like driving at night when I was in my 20s and 30s, either.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:47 AM

30,585 posts, read 24,913,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It really is not your decision to make and you could be criminally liable for doing so without his agreement. You can convince him to give up driving, but unless you are appointed his guardian by a court, you cannot force him to do so.

We are currently dealing with this with my father. Waiting to see how well he recovers. Before his recent issue the the doctors do not know what was the cause (probably a virus), he was fine driving short distances during the day, but should not drive at night and not when he is sick or even not feeling well. He has been avoiding long trips or night driving already for several years, usually handing the keys to whomever is with him. The current question is whether he should be driving at all. His reactions seem reasonably good, vision is better than mine, he cannot hear well, and struggles with memory at times. He still drives better than 75% of the driver out there as he does not ever look at texts or at his phone and does not drink. It is appalling when a mom goes on and on about how some older driver is endangering her kids and then gets in the car and starts staring at her phone while driving - lady you are far more of a danger to children than any old person is likely to be.

If we can get him to come live with us, he might be fine. Where we live, all speed limits are 25 or 35 mph. There are only a couple of traffic lights, few 4 ways stops, nothing confusing or fast moving. Maybe we can get him into a Gem (modified golf cart with an enclosed cabin and heat - goes about 35 mph.) I am more comfortable with older people slowing down. An 88 year old driving 88 mph is a concern most of the time. however at 35 mph they may well be fine.
I suspect you are fooling yourself as to his driving ability.

But I do sympathize. I had the same dilemma with my elderly mother. It was truly hard to think about taking her keys. But there is no doubt her reflexes were slow, and she could not do blinkers, and handle left turns. So, no blinker on left turns. And there were other issues, such as stopping in the middle of intersections and not being totally in control. But I knew the cost of taking her keys. It took a crisis to resolve this. In the meantime, she was driving.

The proper way to have your dad evaluated is to at the local DMV after he fully recovers.

All of this is hard. You have my sympathy in this.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I suspect you are fooling yourself as to his driving ability.

Why? Have you been in a car with him? Do you simply assume anyone over 80 is incapable of driving safely?

We do not have a DMV and our SS will not evaluate drivers but I expect he would pass with flying colors in daylight driving if he is not sick. His reactions are good, he has never confused the various control equipment in the car. He even uses his turn signal. however his night vision is not good and he should never try to drive when he does not feel good.

but as I said, it is not my decision to make. I can encourage him to do X or Y, but I cannot tell him what to do. it is amazing that people think you can just prohibit your elderly parents from driving or take their keys away - you cannot. You do nto have that authority and trying to do so is a crime.

actually no one should be behind the wheel of a killing machine, but we feel it must be and therefore we agree to tolerate a certain level of mayhem or death as the result of needing to give people the freedom to get around in their death machines. Yes we can test older people but really we should be testing everyone. I can identify 60 or 80 younger drivers who should not be driving for every person my dad's age who is a threat on the road.

For safety of others, I am far less concerned with him driving than I am with the much younger texters I see. I think they should impose a $2000 fine for touching your cell phone while driving first offense, $5000 second offense and lose your license third offense. Once they do that, then maybe turn and look at how to evaluate older drivers.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:55 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This is why they have to get the self-driving cars perfected. It's so important that older people maintain their independence and it would also take away the burden and expense of driving them around for their relatives. I wonder how many people would not have go to old age homes of all types (saving a lot of money for them and their relatives), if they didn't have to worry about driving.

Self-driving cars and home assistance robots should have been in the works and perfected before the baby boomers started to retire since they are a big group. They could even still go on vacation, go to club meetings and visit friends who also can't drive anymore in addition to going to stores and doctor's appointments with a self-driving car.

I don't drive at all at night anymore except once a month I go to a night meeting around the corner. I didn't like driving at night when I was in my 20s and 30s, either.
I don't buy the self driving and robots stuff either. Can't imagine all those self driving cars running into each other.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,913,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Why? Have you been in a car with him? Do you simply assume anyone over 80 is incapable of driving safely?

We do not have a DMV and our SS will not evaluate drivers but I expect he would pass with flying colors in daylight driving if he is not sick. His reactions are good, he has never confused the various control equipment in the car. He even uses his turn signal. however his night vision is not good and he should never try to drive when he does not feel good.

but as I said, it is not my decision to make. I can encourage him to do X or Y, but I cannot tell him what to do. it is amazing that people think you can just prohibit your elderly parents from driving or take their keys away - you cannot. You do nto have that authority and trying to do so is a crime.

actually no one should be behind the wheel of a killing machine, but we feel it must be and therefore we agree to tolerate a certain level of mayhem or death as the result of needing to give people the freedom to get around in their death machines. Yes we can test older people but really we should be testing everyone. I can identify 60 or 80 younger drivers who should not be driving for every person my dad's age who is a threat on the road.

For safety of others, I am far less concerned with him driving than I am with the much younger texters I see. I think they should impose a $2000 fine for touching your cell phone while driving first offense, $5000 second offense and lose your license third offense. Once they do that, then maybe turn and look at how to evaluate older drivers.
I sympathize with how hard this is. I also get that you do have first hand knowlege about his driving. I went through similar thought processes.

But comparing him to a younger driver who texts does not mean he is a safe driver. Texting drivers have nothing to do with your situation.

I think your father is lucky to have an adult child who cares about him, and I wish you well as you travel this journey with him.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:10 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,267,717 times
Don't they have to do a driving test every so often to retain their licence?

Old 12-11-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Don't they have to do a driving test every so often to retain their licence?
No

Fill out a form and mail it in.

A doctor can restrict their driving if they deem then unsafe. He will then report the restriction to the SS and they will record it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving