Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 06:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
+1. Refills have to be a hard copy here too.
Not anymore - see above info.

Y'all - this stuff is pretty easy to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 06:42 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Not anymore - see above info.

Y'all - this stuff is pretty easy to find.
Talk about sarcasm.

I am in MA. I currently take a mild narcotic due to an upcoming surgery. I CANNOT refill w/o the paper copy. I had to drive there to get it!

You understand some docs are going above & beyond with all the new laws. Just because a law says you can refill on some sch drugs: for a certain amount, if within a time frame, if it's a full moon, you follow the 9000 rules, most docs are having people come in. Then....you have to deal w a pharmacy that can deny the meds for just about any reason they want...

I have received numerous rep comments from people that are suffering due to this. I know you don't believe it and I'm not arguing with someone who refuses to believe people. I'm out. Good luck.

Last edited by LLCNYC; 01-04-2019 at 06:51 AM..

Old 01-04-2019, 07:38 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
when did people give up their right to decide what they can or cant consume? why would we have ever said to the government "if i make a decision to consume something, you can arrest me?" did we really do that?

Old 01-04-2019, 07:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Talk about sarcasm.

I am in MA. I currently take a mild narcotic due to an upcoming surgery. I CANNOT refill w/o the paper copy. I had to drive there to get it!

You understand some docs are going above & beyond with all the new laws. Just because a law says you can refill on some sch drugs: for a certain amount, if within a time frame, if it's a full moon, you follow the 9000 rules, most docs are having people come in. Then....you have to deal w a pharmacy that can deny the meds for just about any reason they want...

I have received numerous rep comments from people that are suffering due to this. I know you don't believe it and I'm not arguing with someone who refuses to believe people. I'm out. Good luck.
Well, no, I'm serious - not being sarcastic. If you are really worried about the facts, the facts are easy to find. And to reiterate, I don't know anyone personally who has suffered due to not being able to get a prescription for pain meds filled. I have however known people who worry about it - but so far so good. In fact, around here the opposite tactic seems to be in practice - you can get all the pain meds you need and then some - heck, if you don't want opiates the doctors will STILL try to prescribe them to you.

But of course, I'm in Texas and we have fifty states so there's that. Ironically, and I'm not sure how long this will last but so far so good as I said before - Texas is a state that doesn't have as severe a problem with opiate abuse as many other states are suffering.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:46 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
I feel for everyone that has to suffer. Especially the good suffering for the bad.

Several years ago I started to have bad headaches and tight, sore shoulder pain. Feels like a stab. Not felt, because I still have that pain. Went to doctor and she just told me to take Tylenol and Ibuprofen. She also tells my wife to take that for her pain she has in her legs. Day in, day out, I took T&I and it barely helped any. Went on for a while. Picked up a second job, something that I always wanted to do and ended up quitting because of tightness in my neck and shoulder area, resulting in headaches so severe I would have to pull over and vomit on the side of the road.

Wife and I wanted answers.

Went to a chiropractor and he xrayed my back and shoulder. Bones were fused together and pinching nerves. I began going to the bone cracker every week.

Went for a check up with dr, annual thing. Doctor asked if I was still taking T&I for that pain. Told her no. I been having it for so long I just deal with it. And it's sad that my wife has to deal with my attitude sometimes because of it. And said by the way, I went to a chiropractor and he found the cause for pain, instead of poisoning my liver with all that T&I. She put her head down.

One day while working with one of the goats, I twisted my knee. It popped and I went down. I couldn't stand on it until some time later. Went to doctor again. Same one. Prescribed the same thing. I stormed out of there and scheduled an appointment with an orthopaedic surgeon. He xrayed my knee and few weeks later I was having surgery on that knee. When I got out, the Dr put something like Federal government prohibits refills, on Hydrocodone 7.5.

I know that my pains are not as bad as most people have. And living day to day hurting, it gets old quick. Now I have arthritis and the weather we've been having, I don't want to do anything. It isn't fair for my wife and I to suffer because I can't get anything to help relieve some pain.

I've always said that there is no "War on drugs". There is a "War on People". It's like a legal governmental form of population control. At first, they were like, let's lock up all these drug users and dealers. Now? Let them suffer. Time to stop these prescription drugs and get them off the street. Making them harder to get, causing people to turn to heroin or other drugs. Or worse yet, commit suicide because they are sick and tired of living in so much pain.

The good ALWAYS has to suffer from the bad. In some cases, it's the federal government that is the bad.

Just my thoughts. Yall have a blessed day!

Excellent account. Although I disagree that all "drug users" should be locked up. I think the culprit here is the Pharmaceutical Industry who deserves your wrath

This is the thing, there is really no way to "compare pain" - I believe you when you say you are in pain. What you describe sounds terribly painful. It doesn't have to be "The Big C" to be painful.

There are many types and levels of pain that profit from something stronger than Tylenol or Ibuprofen".

Over the Christmas holiday, I've been suffering with a very painful eye infection. Eye pain is a very deep, and excruciating pain that I would not wish upon anyone. I was given a topical and oral antibiotic, told to use hot compresses, and to "take Tylenol as needed". The thing is, I do not need Tylenol, because, at least on me, it has literally NO EFFECT.

I was only NOT in pain when I was applying a very hot compress or in the hot shower.

Fortunately, my husband and I save the remainder of any narcotic pain reliever we are given, when we have no more need. Some of these prescriptions date back to before the introduction of Ohio's draconian drug laws, which really ARE a "war on people". I took a half of a pill every night, was able to relax, be pain free and to sleep. Fortunately, it's clearing up now.

This is NO WAY TO LIVE.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:20 AM

1,665 posts, read 974,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
I feel for everyone that has to suffer. Especially the good suffering for the bad.

Several years ago I started to have bad headaches and tight, sore shoulder pain. Feels like a stab. Not felt, because I still have that pain. Went to doctor and she just told me to take Tylenol and Ibuprofen. She also tells my wife to take that for her pain she has in her legs. Day in, day out, I took T&I and it barely helped any. Went on for a while. Picked up a second job, something that I always wanted to do and ended up quitting because of tightness in my neck and shoulder area, resulting in headaches so severe I would have to pull over and vomit on the side of the road.

Wife and I wanted answers.

Went to a chiropractor and he xrayed my back and shoulder. Bones were fused together and pinching nerves. I began going to the bone cracker every week.

Went for a check up with dr, annual thing. Doctor asked if I was still taking T&I for that pain. Told her no. I been having it for so long I just deal with it. And it's sad that my wife has to deal with my attitude sometimes because of it. And said by the way, I went to a chiropractor and he found the cause for pain, instead of poisoning my liver with all that T&I. She put her head down.

One day while working with one of the goats, I twisted my knee. It popped and I went down. I couldn't stand on it until some time later. Went to doctor again. Same one. Prescribed the same thing. I stormed out of there and scheduled an appointment with an orthopaedic surgeon. He xrayed my knee and few weeks later I was having surgery on that knee. When I got out, the Dr put something like Federal government prohibits refills, on Hydrocodone 7.5.

I know that my pains are not as bad as most people have. And living day to day hurting, it gets old quick. Now I have arthritis and the weather we've been having, I don't want to do anything. It isn't fair for my wife and I to suffer because I can't get anything to help relieve some pain.

I've always said that there is no "War on drugs". There is a "War on People". It's like a legal governmental form of population control. At first, they were like, let's lock up all these drug users and dealers. Now? Let them suffer. Time to stop these prescription drugs and get them off the street. Making them harder to get, causing people to turn to heroin or other drugs. Or worse yet, commit suicide because they are sick and tired of living in so much pain.

The good ALWAYS has to suffer from the bad. In some cases, it's the federal government that is the bad.

Just my thoughts. Yall have a blessed day!

Forgot to add... I'm now experiencing pain in right shoulder. Talked to chiropractor about it. He said it's tendonitis. Applied Biofreeze and probed it with an ultrasound thingy. Burn later on too. But he didn't say anything about stretch exercises or anything. Just to follow up. For what, pay more money for a visit, do same thing with it? How about addressing what can be done to help it between visits.

Started doing stretches. Talk about hurt in that shoulder.

I told my wife that I'm like a Ford. Fix one part, another breaks...

Old 01-04-2019, 08:51 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Well, no, I'm serious - not being sarcastic. If you are really worried about the facts, the facts are easy to find. And to reiterate, I don't know anyone personally who has suffered due to not being able to get a prescription for pain meds filled. I have however known people who worry about it - but so far so good. In fact, around here the opposite tactic seems to be in practice - you can get all the pain meds you need and then some - heck, if you don't want opiates the doctors will STILL try to prescribe them to you.

But of course, I'm in Texas and we have fifty states so there's that. Ironically, and I'm not sure how long this will last but so far so good as I said before - Texas is a state that doesn't have as severe a problem with opiate abuse as many other states are suffering.
If you look at a lot of those states, aside from the e-prescriptions (which appear to be somewhat new in terms of being a requirement instead perhaps of paper) you will see many states are limiting opioid prescriptions to 7 days, with up to 14 for post-op only. If I had to go every 7 days, I would have been another $4,000 or so in debt. I was already $14,000 in medical debt and I was out of work for close to a year). Walmart will no longer fill scripts beyond 7 days. I don’t know if you understand what a burden this is going to be in people.

I have links I will post later from Texas medical journals detailing how pain patients in Texas cannot find new docs due to the cumbersome new laws.

I was hyperventilating in pain and crying and unable to talk at my worst day before he would prescribe for me, while my bff in Florida called my pain doc and fought on my behalf. He finally agreed I needed something beyond Tramadol but said he is unable to give it to me except in person. Do you have any clue how traumatic that was for me? I feel like you are dismissive of very painful personal experiences. It’s like you’re accusing us of exaggerating or worrying for nothing, it is really insulting.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:46 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
For the record, my brother was never diagnosed with ADD or anything even remotely similar and never took any prescription drugs other than maybe an antibiotic if he was really sick his entire childhood. So while this may be interesting, it doesn't apply to the situation that person was asking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
WOW! that's an eye opener I never knew about. Makes sense and very scary.
^^Its really easy to blame the modern ADHD prescription regimen. But that ignores a lot of inconvenient facts. Namely, how many kids were prescribed them that didn't turn into addicts.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:52 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If you look at a lot of those states, aside from the e-prescriptions (which appear to be somewhat new in terms of being a requirement instead perhaps of paper) you will see many states are limiting opioid prescriptions to 7 days, with up to 14 for post-op only. If I had to go every 7 days, I would have been another $4,000 or so in debt. I was already $14,000 in medical debt and I was out of work for close to a year). Walmart will no longer fill scripts beyond 7 days. I don’t know if you understand what a burden this is going to be in people.

I have links I will post later from Texas medical journals detailing how pain patients in Texas cannot find new docs due to the cumbersome new laws.

I was hyperventilating in pain and crying and unable to talk at my worst day before he would prescribe for me, while my bff in Florida called my pain doc and fought on my behalf. He finally agreed I needed something beyond Tramadol but said he is unable to give it to me except in person. Do you have any clue how traumatic that was for me? I feel like you are dismissive of very painful personal experiences. It’s like you’re accusing us of exaggerating or worrying for nothing, it is really insulting.
I agree. It's hard to keep ignoring it or saying she really has no clue or experience in other states even though we keep telling her it's happened to us and people we know and list our state.

It really doesn't matter what the law is when most Drs have to cover their own a$$es and license with using paper scripts vs electronic. Huge hassle when multiple pharmacies in South NJ and Philly are all out of my few meds I can take. I had to withdraw last November when Iost my script insurance because pharmacies that participated with oxycontins discount program didnt stock what I took nor did they have 20, 30, 40mg pills in stock as there was a shortage. I finally got $500 together so my normal pharmacy could give me that much to get me thru the month. It's not fun withdrawing after being on meds since 2001. No one could help me, I called all over looking for copay help. Even welfare couldn't pull emergency insurance out of their a$$es.

We're real people posting here, me 10+ years. I'm not just a user name. We see the same people posting all over CD, you'd think at some point there would be empathy from other posters. 2 threads on the same subject dont lie. We have serious medication issues

Old 01-04-2019, 02:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Wow, you are the first person I have encountered who has this problem too. Every narcotic that I have ever taken orally has really screwed up my sleep and left me a groggy mess from lack of sleep. I toss and turn and cannot fall asleep, and when I do close to morning I sleep lightly and awake several times.

I have a lot of problems with nerve pain in the spine, and with a prosthesis which runs from between the shoulder blades to the ilium...and now the encroachment of arthritis. I have a prescription (I am not in the U.S.) for a single time-release morphine tablet for daily use.

The relief has been good at the same dosage level for a couple of years, but I could never take it every day and function normally. Not because it screws up my head, but because it totally louses up my sleep so badly that by day three I am worn-out zombie. (...and, of course, I can tolerate the pain level many days, so I do not want to build up a habit that is unnecessary.)

Doctors seem to find this problem a head-scratcher.
I’ve not taken many opiates, but when I have I’ve noticed I got bad dreams. I’m good for two doses, maybe three, then I’m done. But I’ve never had ongoing, intractable pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving