Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 06:08 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You’re misunderstanding, the memoir was written by the father and chronicled his affairs. They found it on his computer after he inadvertently confessed. It wasn’t published. The daughter just wrote an article about finding out about it all after his diagnoses.
I'm not misunderstanding anything. The article she wrote is a memoir. Articles like that often lead to a book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 06:46 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
The article she wrote is not a memoir, it’s an article. Memoirs are self written, they are like diaries except not meant to be private. Similar to an autobiography.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:19 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Quote:
The article she wrote is not a memoir, it’s an article. Memoirs are self written, they are like diaries except not meant to be private. Similar to an autobiography.
I have a BS in Journalism and an MLS so I'm pretty secure in my understanding of the genre. However, I don't feel a need to split hairs with anyone over the definition of memoir.

So I will restate:

What I find distasteful is writing an article about it that benefits no one but the author. There is nothing there that helps people struggling with Alzheimer's. It's pure sensationalism.

Happy now?

Old 01-22-2019, 06:05 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I have a BS in Journalism and an MLS so I'm pretty secure in my understanding of the genre. However, I don't feel a need to split hairs with anyone over the definition of memoir.

So I will restate:

What I find distasteful is writing an article about it that benefits no one but the author. There is nothing there that helps people struggling with Alzheimer's. It's pure sensationalism.

Happy now?
What about the READERS who find benefit from the article? Maybe there are others dealing with parents with Alzheimer's.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:

So I will restate:

Happy now?
I think the benefit is just sharing an aspect of the disease that she and her mom never considered. Just because your family can not relate does not mean no one else can.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:39 PM

3,247 posts, read 2,333,796 times
The article lets people know what can happen when someone with Alzheimers is in their life. It's an unexpected consequence that few would have ever have considered. It's a cautionary tale that may help many people, or at least warn them of what can happen.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:02 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:

So I will restate:

Happy now?
The worst part is the spouse taking advantage of his Alzheimer's to pump him for information. In this case, it was marital infidelity. In most cases, it's probably related to financial information and could easily be done by a caregiver to gain funds that were hidden from the family.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
The worst part is the spouse taking advantage of his Alzheimer's to pump him for information. In this case, it was marital infidelity. In most cases, it's probably related to financial information and could easily be done by a caregiver to gain funds that were hidden from the family.
Pumping him for information? Where are you getting that from? In a moment of anger he shouted “I’ll just start seeing Karen again!” Spouse asked “You had an affair with Karen?” and he answered Yes, for years”. How is this “pumping him for information”? Any wife has the right to ask him to clarify. Any wife would want to know if her life was based on lies. It doesn’t sound like he’s that far gone or was at least in a lucid moment at the time.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:54 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:
Pumping him for information? Where are you getting that from? In a moment of anger he shouted “I’ll just start seeing Karen again!” Spouse asked “You had an affair with Karen?” and he answered Yes, for years”. How is this “pumping him for information”? Any wife has the right to ask him to clarify. Any wife would want to know if her life was based on lies. It doesn’t sound like he’s that far gone or was at least in a lucid moment at the time.
The post was in response to one from the perspective of the person with Alzheimer's.

Even if one looks at it from the family's perspective. The story would've come out different if there was no journal to confirm the information. The family would be left with lingering doubts and no resolution.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
The post was in response to one from the perspective of the person with Alzheimer's.

Even if one looks at it from the family's perspective. The story would've come out different if there was no journal to confirm the information. The family would be left with lingering doubts and no resolution.
Yes that would suck. I’m sure there are people who have experienced that. I’m sure this article spoke to them.

I maintain there was no pumping for information, no matter whose perspective you’re looking at it from. Please explain how wife responding to his “confession”/outburst with a simple question, “You had an affair with Karen?” qualifies as pumping him for information in any way??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving