Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 05:31 PM

687 posts, read 637,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Professional mediators deal with divergent oppositional people all the time. They get it. They take NO side which helps. They can find common ground, get grudging consensus, keep everyone focused on the essential task at hand (POA, arranging care, etc) while keeping emotions out of it. There are some aspects that everyone probably does agree with but they may feel too pressured by someone else to admit it. Even if all involved don't actually end up agreeing on everything just going through a process with one can help a lot. If someone refuses to be constructive that falls on them, not everyone else. The rest of the group can work on what is needed. The people who do stay involved can decide if guardianship is actually the best option and maybe select who that is. Or, set up the POA, parcel out tasks (so it doesn't fall on one person...often that's the biggest concern). Perhaps a geriatric case worker/social worker could connect you with one.
Unfortunately for legal reasons, I now feel sure that my mother needs a guardian. Without her dementia or nursing home I think we could have limped along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 04:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Professional mediators deal with divergent oppositional people all the time. They get it. They take NO side which helps. They can find common ground, get grudging consensus, keep everyone focused on the essential task at hand (POA, arranging care, etc) while keeping emotions out of it. There are some aspects that everyone probably does agree with but they may feel too pressured by someone else to admit it. Even if all involved don't actually end up agreeing on everything just going through a process with one can help a lot. If someone refuses to be constructive that falls on them, not everyone else. The rest of the group can work on what is needed. The people who do stay involved can decide if guardianship is actually the best option and maybe select who that is. Or, set up the POA, parcel out tasks (so it doesn't fall on one person...often that's the biggest concern). Perhaps a geriatric case worker/social worker could connect you with one.
If Mom has dementia, she can't and shouldn't sign any POAs.

But that doesn't mean that the rest of the family can't come together via a neutral professional mediator. I do think this needs to happen.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:30 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Jesseco, what state are you in? Please be cautious of legal advice from other states that might as well be from Mars, things differ so much.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:31 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesseco View Post
Unfortunately for legal reasons, I now feel sure that my mother needs a guardian. Without her dementia or nursing home I think we could have limped along.
I'm sorry. I know how hard this is.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
If Mom has dementia, she can't and shouldn't sign any POAs.

But that doesn't mean that the rest of the family can't come together via a neutral professional mediator. I do think this needs to happen.

Yes, it is too late for her to sign POAs. I am not sure that a mediator would be able to resolve anything but agree that it is a good idea.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I'm sorry. I know how hard this is.
Thank you, jencam. You are right - it really is hard. I am also sorry for the stress you are undergoing with your brother now.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Its done all the time.

Guardianship laws vary from state to state and its easier in some places than in others. If you seriously considering it, I would suggest you pay for a consultation with a lawyer who specializes in wills, trusts, and elder law. You can get an idea how much it will cost and whether it is worth trying to do it.

Appointing a third party guardian may be difficult. I'm trying to imagine situations. The siblings may fight to have themselves appointed and the court would have to decide between them and the third party attorney. There is also the question of compensation for the attorney/guardian as well as the attorney filing the petition for guardianship. It is not likely to be a cheap process. If the siblings cannot agree, there will have to be a hearing in court. Most judges will not let the fact that everyone cannot agree stop them from doing what is correct. However, I have also dealt with judges who just cannot accept that an entire family is not in agreement and will refuse to make a ruling without several hearings taking place. It can be thorny.

The situations which are usually the hardest are the ones involving large families with lots of children. Typically, all want a say in what happens to "Mom". However, many don't want to pay any money or do any work. They expect someone else to do it for them.
Even if the siblings agreed, I think there will have to be a court hearing. Someone has to petition the court and then others can disagree, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving