Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 03:23 PM

686 posts, read 630,967 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever heard of petitioning a court to appoint a guardian for an elderly parent? Not to appoint herself guardian, but to appoint a lawyer guardian both of the person and the finances of the elderly parent?

The reason is that the adult child has siblings who would make her life miserable if she were the guardian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 08:48 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,472,107 times
Yes, I've heard of this. It's an expensive option but it is an option in some cases.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, I've heard of this. It's an expensive option but it is an option in some cases.
You mean expensive for the elderly parent, right? Not the petitioner? Or both? Would it cost about the same as petitioning to be guardian yourself?

Old 03-02-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesseco View Post
You mean expensive for the elderly parent, right? Not the petitioner? Or both? Would it cost about the same as petitioning to be guardian yourself?
Well, someone has to pay for the oversight. A guardian offers quite a bit of oversight and they charge for it.

I am not sure where they get the money - probably from whoever can pay for it - LOL.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Well, someone has to pay for the oversight. A guardian offers quite a bit of oversight and they charge for it.

I am not sure where they get the money - probably from whoever can pay for it - LOL.
Thank you. LOL - it wouldn't be from me!

Old 03-02-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Thank you. LOL - it wouldn't be from me!
OK, honestly, I think the legal first option is to collect the payment from the funds of the person they are the guardian over. But it really is a big hassle.

I don't know what the size of the estate is. Has anyone looked into a trust and trustee situation? They generally charge 1 percent or so of the size of the estate per year. To me that seems reasonable.

But they only make financial decisions.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
OK, honestly, I think the legal first option is to collect the payment from the funds of the person they are the guardian over. But it really is a big hassle.

I don't know what the size of the estate is. Has anyone looked into a trust and trustee situation? They generally charge 1 percent or so of the size of the estate per year. To me that seems reasonable.

But they only make financial decisions.
No, I don't know anything about looking into a trust and it's probably too late at this point. I wish I had known to do what you did with your family - let them know that you will help out only if given the proper tools so you wouldn't have to be overly involved with your brother.

None of my parents' children were given the proper tools and we have a few siblings who are pretty much impossible to work with. We really need a third party to take over soon.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
No, I don't know anything about looking into a trust and it's probably too late at this point. I wish I had known to do what you did with your family - let them know that you will help out only if given the proper tools so you wouldn't have to be overly involved with your brother.

None of my parents' children were given the proper tools and we have a few siblings who are pretty much impossible to work with. We really need a third party to take over soon.
Ugh, it sounds like it. And you may be in for a legal fight because it's a lot more difficult to get things lined out without tools than it is with tools. My husband and I have done it both ways, between his family and mine. One good thing that came out of our fiasco with his dysfunctional family (and no tools) was that at least we learned a lot and were able to convince MY mom and dad to give us the tools we needed before it was too late. So at least in your family you can be sure the NEXT generation has those tools. Live and learn - but it sure does suck.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Ugh, it sounds like it. And you may be in for a legal fight because it's a lot more difficult to get things lined out without tools than it is with tools. My husband and I have done it both ways, between his family and mine. One good thing that came out of our fiasco with his dysfunctional family (and no tools) was that at least we learned a lot and were able to convince MY mom and dad to give us the tools we needed before it was too late. So at least in your family you can be sure the NEXT generation has those tools. Live and learn - but it sure does suck.
Indeed!

Old 03-03-2019, 08:43 AM

Yeah I especially hate those sorts of life lessons - you know, those you have to learn by living (surviving) through them. Those are the WORST! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving