Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 10:47 AM

307 posts, read 249,205 times

Advertisements

We went through this about 1.5 yrs ago with my mother in law. She was a Type 2 diabetic (who didn't take it seriously at all for years) and had pretty advanced Kidney failure which resulted in constant anemia. It took a while for her to even get the correct diagnosis and to begin dialysis. She was on it (3 days a week) for almost 4 yrs. She was in her late 60s when she died but 6 mths before she started suffering small strokes so she couldn't talk or swallow/eat right. She was then put in a really crappy nursing home because she had fallen and broken her ankle and that didn't help. Ultimately I had to convince my husband to talk to her and his dad about why she was continuing dialysis as it wasn't really helping her live a fulfilling life...she was merely existing...couldn't walk (she was wheelchair bound), could barely speak/eat etc. She eventually stopped it and died about 3 wks later at home. It wasn't an easy decision by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 06:10 PM

922 posts, read 779,835 times
My father had lymphoma, and at some point he was in the hospital with kidney failure (he was in another state, and we were not close.) They wanted to put him on dialysis, but he refused. He died 3 days later. He had suffered enough with the cancer, and I guess he just decided he was done. I am glad he was able to make his own decision on how he wanted to go.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:42 AM

3,500 posts, read 6,138,630 times
OP, just a comment, based on my experience. Dying at home with hospice can be great, or it can be awful. It really depends on what level of support your local hospice can provide. Some hospice programs provide a LOT of hands on care and frequent visits. Other hospice programs provide nothing more than equipment, a weekly visit from a nurse, and CNA help 2-3 times a week. That is not exactly useful when the caregiver is alone and old and frail herself. And having a loved one die at home, in your house, can be traumatizing.

In short, I fully support moving your dad to an inpatient hospice facility, if he chooses to stop dialysis. Your family will choose what's best for you. Don't let anyone try to guilt you into doing more than you're prepared to do.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:45 AM

37,422 posts, read 45,609,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
OP, just a comment, based on my experience. Dying at home with hospice can be great, or it can be awful. It really depends on what level of support your local hospice can provide. Some hospice programs provide a LOT of hands on care and frequent visits. Other hospice programs provide nothing more than equipment, a weekly visit from a nurse, and CNA help 2-3 times a week. That is not exactly useful when the caregiver is alone and old and frail herself. And having a loved one die at home, in your house, can be traumatizing.

In short, I fully support moving your dad to an inpatient hospice facility, if he chooses to stop dialysis. Your family will choose what's best for you. Don't let anyone try to guilt you into doing more than you're prepared to do.
Thanks, I really appreciate that. Hopefully I am past the “guilt pressure”. I sure hope so anyway.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:57 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,631,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post

I fully agree with this ^ ^ ^.

There is also nobody to help during the night and most of the hours of the day. As people become weaker, falling is a real hazard. Sometimes an environment with professional 24 hour care during this difficult time is the responsible and most comforting choice to make for everyone involved.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:57 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,113,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Dying of renal failure is a very easy death. You just become unconscious from uremia, and die.

Yes. Someone with kidney failure has the unique option of deciding when to end their life and with little or no pain. My father's doctor told my brother and me that if Dad stopped dialysis, he would start to fade and die within a few days with little discomfort. He died peacefully at home within a week of stopping dialysis. I hope that my departure will be as graceful and dignified.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:56 PM

356 posts, read 698,267 times
My father chose to stop dialysis shortly after his kidneys failed following a triple bypass operation. I was upset at first, but gradually accepted his decision. (What choice did I have anyway?) He was transferred to a wonderful inpatient hospice, and our family was able to spend a week or so with him before he died. I'm so grateful we had that time with him to reminisce, express our love, and say our goodbyes. His death was peaceful, although he began to have difficulty breathing the last couple days.

It sounds strange, but embrace this time... it's part of the cycle of life.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:46 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,748,910 times
My 83 yo dad was put on dialysis after open heart surgery. Three months later, after one problem on top of another, he was in the hospital and the hospice option was presented.

The family talk consisted of me (an only child), my mom, my wife and his doc. He agreed to hospice and the doc said they won't do dialysis so you must agree to stop it. He agreed.

The admission nurse at the hospice house said people usually die about five days after stopping dialysis. Dad's last dialysis was on Friday and he died peacefully the following Wednesday-five days later.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:34 AM

37,422 posts, read 45,609,203 times
Well he has apparently decided he is not ready to die. He just paid 6 grand to a male enhancement clinic.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:52 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,127,315 times
Oh wow!! I don't know what to say. Can you stop payment somehow!?? Your mom must be beside herself. I had a feeling he wouldn't go through with the natural death. His type rarely do. What can you do though.??.. maybe get financial POA and take over all the accounts??? I feel so bad for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving