U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 08:19 AM

10,959 posts, read 8,936,122 times

Advertisements

Some are doing outright bans. Some are restricting visits to those who are dying. Some are only restricting the number of visits.

CT - no visitors allowed

KY - only end-of-life residents to accept visitors

Wonder if this will spread to entire continuing care communities and active adult communities next. The local 55+ retirement community has issued the advisory for anyone with flu-like symptoms, traveled internationally, or been in areas with COVID-19 to stay away.

If you haven't contacted your parents' facilities, it would be the time to do so and set up a visit before it's no longer allowed.

Last edited by lchoro; 03-11-2020 at 08:59 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2020, 09:41 AM

30,665 posts, read 37,005,321 times
My parents live in their home. Maybe this will mean I don’t have to go over there anymore LOL.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:31 AM

11,448 posts, read 23,225,001 times
The facility my dad is in is not allowing visitors at this time. My mother is hysterical, because she spends all day every day there with my dad. We're going to see if we can get him moved back into their house. When he moved to a memory care, it was because he kept running away. He can't do that now, can't walk or stand without a lot of assistance, so we're thinking having him at home will be more manageable than it was before.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:12 AM

28,233 posts, read 18,626,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The facility my dad is in is not allowing visitors at this time. My mother is hysterical, because she spends all day every day there with my dad. We're going to see if we can get him moved back into their house. When he moved to a memory care, it was because he kept running away. He can't do that now, can't walk or stand without a lot of assistance, so we're thinking having him at home will be more manageable than it was before.
How is having an elderly person who cannot walk or stand w/out assistance in your home, “more manageable?”

Think this through.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:14 AM

9,156 posts, read 2,363,504 times
My Dad is living in an assisted-living facility in the Seattle area, and they've been taking a lot of COVID-19 safety measures like implementing two-week quarantine lockdowns for sick residents. They're even doing it for non-communicable conditions, which seems like a bit of overkill. Safety first, I suppose.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:23 AM

28,233 posts, read 18,626,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
My Dad is living in an assisted-living facility in the Seattle area, and they've been taking a lot of COVID-19 safety measures like implementing two-week quarantine lockdowns for sick residents. They're even doing it for non-communicable conditions, which seems like a bit of overkill. Safety first, I suppose.
Is there such a thing as “overkill” in this situation?

Old 03-12-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
How is having an elderly person who cannot walk or stand w/out assistance in your home, “more manageable?”

Think this through.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Is there such a thing as “overkill” in this situation?
Nope.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:35 AM

10,959 posts, read 8,936,122 times
There's one in Seattle. The patient is quarantined. All the residents have to stay in their room since activities are canceled and meals have to be delivered to their rooms.

link

10 nursing homes in the area have tested positive.

Since they're the vulnerable community, everything is being done. A lot of them have high blood pressure or diabetes (Tom Hanks). The people with high blood pressure are susceptible to the virus immediately causing pneumonia.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:29 PM

11,448 posts, read 23,225,001 times
Quote:

Think this through.
Because he isn't mobile, can't run away, can't race through the house peeing everywhere, can't knock anyone down, can't do any of the things that made him so difficult to care for before. This will mostly be moving him from the bed to the wheelchair and vice versa (hospice will provide the lift, wheelchair and hospital bed), changing his diapers, replacing his formula when it's empty, giving meds through his port.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving