Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,338 times

Advertisements

I'm in Texas and had to quit my job about 7 yrs. ago. I've been caring for my severely disabled son since he doesn't speak and is totally disabled. I had to leave my job frequently to tend to him since he seizures and it was just too much for my employer and not to mention the stress, so I'm happy to be available 24/7 to him. He receives respite (from a family member who doesn't live with us since I don't trust strangers) to give me a break with him but the rest of the time I'm pretty bound for his every need. My son is 20 now and it sure would be nice to get paid for attending since after all his family loves/knows him best. He wakes up frequently through the night and requires feeding smashed food and given drink. I also exercise him and try to keep him stimulated so he's not just sitting. Can I get paid to be his attendant in Texas even through insurance or Medicaid (he has both). He is on an HCS waiting list but until then can I get paid to be his personal attendant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 06:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,019 times
Hi, I have a child with CP... I applied for Social Security disability (SSI) and signed up for IHSS when he was four years old. He's now 24 years old and I'm still on the program which is great because it helped me with financially supporting myself and caring for my son at the same time. It was nice to know that I didn't have to put him in a nursing home so I can go work outside of the house. "I can keep him home and get paid for caring for him" I can also give him the proper Medical Care. The program is called Aging and Adult Services or In Home Supportive Services. they offer Medical, Dental and their also Union..... depending on the state that you live in will determine the amount that you get paid. In California they pay $10 an hour with time and a half for overtime.. if your loved one qualifies for Social Security (SSI) they will qualify for this program. They will also qualify for In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) which allows a family member to care for the loved one..... You can also call your local Regional Center- There advocates that help people with disabilities, they will guide you and help you with all resources for your loved one to live a healthy, happy life at home. whether it's children or adults, they'll help you in apply for whatever is available.... they also have attorneys to help you, fight for your loved one's rights when it comes to hospitals, facilities, doctors, Insurance approvals, that don't I want to Advocate or help your loved one.....

Old 09-22-2016, 06:39 PM

427 posts, read 439,970 times
Texas is a bit different than other states in regard to supplemental assistance. You may want to explore options with an SSI coordinator or ask that a caseworker be assigned. Hoping for the best for all and please keep up posted on your progress.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,816 times
Hi all,
In California you also can get care for "protective supervision" that they do not inform you of if your child is a safety risk for eloping or getting hurt, not safe with basic care and is able to walk. My child gets 266 hours a month which gives overtime as well. It is a great program after you get past the red tape of the program.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,304 times
Default Ihss

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom View Post
Someone told me that if I obtained guardianship (which I'm doing regardless) that its possible for a family member to get paid for caring for our mentally disabled adult child at home. I know its lower than market wages but it would sure help - the only adult day care is only available 3-4 hours a day and not every day. I'm finding the adult day care's aren't always appropriate with much older clients or nothing but a tv for "activities." I'd feel safer with a relative than a stranger. I do know some states will pay a stranger but not a relative. It's hard enough to juggle work hours now, school is ending soon and even transition work programs aren't all day programs.
In California they have IHSS (in home support services) I have a 29 year old handicapped son. We receive 84.5 hours a month to care for him which amounts to $964.00 a month tax free. I am retired and would like to move to another state but I don't know of any other states that offer these services.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:24 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrosier View Post
In California they have IHSS (in home support services) I have a 29 year old handicapped son. We receive 84.5 hours a month to care for him which amounts to $964.00 a month tax free. I am retired and would like to move to another state but I don't know of any other states that offer these services.
I believe that in my state (Wisconsin) parents and legal guardians are not allowed to collect government money/payments for caring for their own child. There are programs where you can hire other people to be a part time caregiver and various state programs will pay up to a specific amount of money and hours. It is my understanding that this is pretty common in other states. And, probably other programs where your child could receive disability payments with you in charge of those payments.

You probably could get more information from national agencies that deal with your child's handicapping condition or just do preliminary checking on the internet for each individual state. Good luck.

You probably will want to start a new thread, so that readers see your question.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,138 times
Hello I am a single mom of a disabled child, who is 15, my daughter is home all day now ,no longer attending school ,she is tutoring at home, my issue is I can't hold down a job, I am looking to be the paid caregiver for her but can't find a state that does that, I am alone and no family available to help so any advice on a state that has no wait list and pays the parent for a child under 18 would be extremely helpful, thanks, I saw a post on here about a woman in Colorado who is a paid CNA? That sounds terrific,please advise me on where to go or who to call, thanku

Old 12-03-2019, 07:48 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,052,256 times
It IS possible in AZ BUT the child's diagnosis would have to qualify for the ALTCs program (AZ Long Term Care). If qualified, she would receive benefits and some of them would be care from a qualified person who could be you. But you would need to be employed by one of the agencies that provide such care, and then you would be assigned to care for your own child and be paid for it. See AZ DES/DDD for more info.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:37 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,547,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepph View Post
I'm in Texas and had to quit my job about 7 yrs. ago. I've been caring for my severely disabled son since he doesn't speak and is totally disabled. I had to leave my job frequently to tend to him since he seizures and it was just too much for my employer and not to mention the stress, so I'm happy to be available 24/7 to him. He receives respite (from a family member who doesn't live with us since I don't trust strangers) to give me a break with him but the rest of the time I'm pretty bound for his every need. My son is 20 now and it sure would be nice to get paid for attending since after all his family loves/knows him best. He wakes up frequently through the night and requires feeding smashed food and given drink. I also exercise him and try to keep him stimulated so he's not just sitting. Can I get paid to be his attendant in Texas even through insurance or Medicaid (he has both). He is on an HCS waiting list but until then can I get paid to be his personal attendant?
I can't say yes or no, but I am in Texas and my brother, if he got home health through Medicaid, could choose his caregiver. That is what he was told.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:50 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcat816 View Post
Hello I am a single mom of a disabled child, who is 15, my daughter is home all day now ,no longer attending school ,she is tutoring at home, my issue is I can't hold down a job, I am looking to be the paid caregiver for her but can't find a state that does that, I am alone and no family available to help so any advice on a state that has no wait list and pays the parent for a child under 18 would be extremely helpful, thanks, I saw a post on here about a woman in Colorado who is a paid CNA? That sounds terrific,please advise me on where to go or who to call, thanku
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I believe that in my state (Wisconsin) parents and legal guardians are not allowed to collect government money/payments for caring for their own child. There are programs where parents can hire other people to be a part time caregiver and various state programs will pay up to a specific amount of money and hours (to non-family members). It is my understanding that this is pretty common in other states, too.

And, probably there are other programs where your child could receive disability payments with you in charge of those payments.

You probably could get more information from national agencies that deal with your child's handicapping condition or just do preliminary checking on the internet for each individual state. Good luck.

You probably will want to start a new thread, so that readers see your question.
Since your child is still school age I would start with her special education teacher, IEP case manager at the school or the social worker who supervises her case at the city or county level.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving