U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 7,460 times
BEING4U4EVA, I live in Maine, and my son has special needs. I worked many many jobs here, and each one grew very tired of the days I missed due to doctors visits, etc. I called around from state agancy to state agency and all the people I spoke with either said that there is no such option avail. or that they had never heard of anything like it...I was told to try to get hired on with nursing provider, but all seemed unwilling to help me...but, I did find out just last year that there was such help, through Elder Services (my son was only 18 at the time) and they got the ball rolling. My wife (since i was gonna be the paid provider it had to be her) had to take a 1 day seminar, get a state liscense (25 bucks) and pass a background...afterwards, she was able to hire whoever she wanted to care for my son...including me, IF that person could also pass a background check. The service pays for all insurance cost for her to operate what is basically a business as long as she keeps to thier standards. My son was assesed as to the extent of his need for care and I now no longer have to get fired from a job to due missed time. my son currently rates 33.5 hours per week, I only lost .19 cents an hour as far as my current pay rate, and I save more than that in gas (or lack of) as well as missed time, veh. maint. etc. I hope this helps in some way.
Oh, and to help clear things up a bit, my wife had to go to our insurance agancy (our is state farm) and have them type up a reg. insurance form as if you were opening your own business with 1 employee. The service that we went thru, covers the cost of that insurance from day 1 on, as long as YOU remember to get it updated every year on time...if you fail, YOU have to pay the fee. And don't be mislead, yes my wife over see's this and she owns the business, but she herself has a full time job. So its not like she had to quit and start a business. All they ask of her is to keep accurate records (and they do check).

Last edited by MeKosho; 08-05-2009 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: extra information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 03:46 PM

25,650 posts, read 7,647,706 times
I work for an agency in NC and many adult guardians are also paid caregivers.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:27 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,969,672 times
I live in Florida and I know that a former co-worker left the job to get paid to care for her mother (who suffered a massive stroke several months earlier). I'm sorry I don't have more info to give you but I am almost certain Florida has this program.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 7,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshongis View Post
Hi, I read your question and was wondering what state do u live in?.....I have a 5yr old son who is severely disabled I live in Colorado and found this ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL program which is really not a Program its a JOB like any other.....I am my sons CNA I get paid hrly. (very good pay by the way)....get a weekly check....Health benefits etc. If you want more info. just send me a message and I will let you know all the details about it.....
Hello i would love to get more info i have a daughter who just turned 18 and boy is it hard to go out and work and find someone to watch her they want more then what i would make at a job. We live in Pueblo Colorado. Thanks

Old 09-10-2009, 11:04 AM

449 posts, read 875,912 times
I'm glad to see people are still contributing to this thread. From my own checking around I can tell you Kentucky does under the Michelle P waiver. New York doesn't seem to have anything.

MeKosho - thank you for explaining in such detail, we had lived in Maine and were never able to get past the "there's nothing like that here." You must have worked hard at figuring it all out.

We're torn right now because we found a place we really liked and could afford only they don't have a program so we'd have to continue patchworking work and being home because the day program only lasts till 2. I work nights which is a strain on all of us and I'm still explaining that I'm not taking "naps" but need to sleep during the day. Trying to decide if its worth it to go to a place that's great in most other ways.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:23 AM

12 posts, read 23,849 times
In Massachusetts, there are programs where a family member can get paid to care of their disabled loved one at home, however, the guardian can't be paid to take care of that member. In other words, if you are the guardian, and your husband wasn't, the check to care for your adult disabled son, would go to him and not you. ( I know, I think its ridiculous) but those are the rules here.
As the guardian you can be his representative payee and get SSI due to his disability. My understanding is that you can charge up to 75% of his income for room and board.
I hope that helps.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 14,292 times
Default program in colo to help as a cna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshongis View Post
hi, i read your question and was wondering what state do u live in?.....i have a 5yr old son who is severely disabled i live in colorado and found this absolutely wonderful program which is really not a program its a job like any other.....i am my sons cna i get paid hrly. (very good pay by the way)....get a weekly check....health benefits etc. If you want more info. Just send me a message and i will let you know all the details about it.....
n

Old 10-12-2009, 04:53 PM

2 posts, read 14,292 times
Need help with the cna program you talked about, im in denver,co thank you very much.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:39 PM

9 posts, read 61,673 times
What state do u live in? I would recommend to contact your Local Home Health Care Agencies!

Old 11-03-2009, 07:40 PM

9 posts, read 61,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westland52 View Post
Need help with the cna program you talked about, im in denver,co thank you very much.

Can you email me to my Yahoo Address please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving