U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 01-05-2011, 06:39 PM
 
1 posts, read 8,029 times
Reputation: 10
Do you know who you go through to find out how to get payed for caring for a child. I have a 7 year old handicap child and live in Cameron , NC.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2011, 07:44 PM
 
9,605 posts, read 6,535,658 times
Reputation: 7697
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristy0641 View Post
Do you know who you go through to find out how to get payed for caring for a child. I have a 7 year old handicap child and live in Cameron , NC.
I do NOT think that people are going to be paid to care for their own child. Sometimes, you can get respite care and a relative (grandma or aunt or someone like that) might get paid to babysit. However, it is highly unlikely that a parent will be paid to care for a child. You might get SSI or some other payment to help with medical though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2011, 09:29 PM
 
Location: THE USA
3,254 posts, read 3,303,881 times
Reputation: 1938
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I do NOT think that people are going to be paid to care for their own child. Sometimes, you can get respite care and a relative (grandma or aunt or someone like that) might get paid to babysit. However, it is highly unlikely that a parent will be paid to care for a child. You might get SSI or some other payment to help with medical though.
No clue about other states but in California you DO get paid if your child qualifies. We take care of our sick and disabled and elderly.

You think people who refuse to care for their children SHOULD get money for strangers to care for them but not if they choose to do it themselves????


What if you have to quit your job because your handicap child needs 24 hour assistance but the money granted does not give you enough to HIRE someone for those hours? Then what? The child gets money for SOMEONE to care for them. Good luck hiring a trustworthy person to clean your child who is 14 and wears a diaper for 9 bucks an hour. No chance, you most likely have to do it yourself or cut the hours he NEEDS by paying someone MORE per hour which means YOU -the parent- get to cover the rest, either with your own money, OR just do it yourself because you LOVE the family member you are caring for.

In-Home Supportive Services

Disabled children are also eligible for IHSS.
IHSS Eligibility Information
How does the program work?
  • A county social worker will interview you at your home to determine your eligibility and need for IHSS. Based on your ability to safely perform certain tasks for yourself, the social worker will assess the types of services you need and the number of hours the county will authorize for each of these services. This assessment will include information given by you and, if appropriate, by your family, friends, physician or other health practitioner.
  • You will be notified if IHSS has been approved or denied. If denied, you will be notified of the reason for the denial. If approved, you will be notified of the services and the number of hours per month which have been authorized for you.
  • If you are approved for IHSS, you must hire someone (your individual provider) to perform the authorized services. You are considered your provider's employer and, therefore, it is your responsibility to hire, train, supervise, and fire this individual.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 10:48 AM
 
9,605 posts, read 6,535,658 times
Reputation: 7697
[quote=Taboo2;17310519]No clue about other states but in California you DO get paid if your child qualifies. We take care of our sick and disabled and elderly.

You think people who refuse to care for their children SHOULD get money for strangers to care for them but not if they choose to do it themselves????


What if you have to quit your job because your handicap child needs 24 hour assistance but the money granted does not give you enough to HIRE someone for those hours? Then what? The child gets money for SOMEONE to care for them. Good luck hiring a trustworthy person to clean your child who is 14 and wears a diaper for 9 bucks an hour. No chance, you most likely have to do it yourself or cut the hours he NEEDS by paying someone MORE per hour which means YOU -the parent- get to cover the rest, either with your own money, OR just do it yourself because you LOVE the family member you are caring for.

In-Home Supportive Services

Another reason why California is going bankrupt? It might be a good idea, but it doesn't happen in most states.

I'm in Texas. I don't think my dil can be paid for caring for her autistic son. It might be nice, but it is not going to happen. She has never worked and that is partly because her son needs her. Now that he is in school, she might be able to work, but she would have to take a lot of course work (she's a nurse) and she would have to take new tests and then probably work night rotations which would be almost impossible.

Are there any states besides California that do this?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 10:50 AM
 
9,605 posts, read 6,535,658 times
Reputation: 7697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
No clue about other states but in California you DO get paid if your child qualifies. We take care of our sick and disabled and elderly.

You think people who refuse to care for their children SHOULD get money for strangers to care for them but not if they choose to do it themselves????


What if you have to quit your job because your handicap child needs 24 hour assistance but the money granted does not give you enough to HIRE someone for those hours? Then what? The child gets money for SOMEONE to care for them. Good luck hiring a trustworthy person to clean your child who is 14 and wears a diaper for 9 bucks an hour. No chance, you most likely have to do it yourself or cut the hours he NEEDS by paying someone MORE per hour which means YOU -the parent- get to cover the rest, either with your own money, OR just do it yourself because you LOVE the family member you are caring for.

In-Home Supportive Services

Disabled children are also eligible for IHSS.
IHSS Eligibility Information
How does the program work?
  • A county social worker will interview you at your home to determine your eligibility and need for IHSS. Based on your ability to safely perform certain tasks for yourself, the social worker will assess the types of services you need and the number of hours the county will authorize for each of these services. This assessment will include information given by you and, if appropriate, by your family, friends, physician or other health practitioner.
  • You will be notified if IHSS has been approved or denied. If denied, you will be notified of the reason for the denial. If approved, you will be notified of the services and the number of hours per month which have been authorized for you.
  • If you are approved for IHSS, you must hire someone (your individual provider) to perform the authorized services. You are considered your provider's employer and, therefore, it is your responsibility to hire, train, supervise, and fire this individual.
Are there any other states that do this?

I did not say it was a *bad* idea, though it may be part of why California is going bankrupt.

I know that in Texas, you are not going to get paid to take care of your own child.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 12:18 PM
 
Location: THE USA
3,254 posts, read 3,303,881 times
Reputation: 1938
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Another reason why California is going bankrupt? It might be a good idea, but it doesn't happen in most states.

I'm in Texas. I don't think my dil can be paid for caring for her autistic son. It might be nice, but it is not going to happen. She has never worked and that is partly because her son needs her. Now that he is in school, she might be able to work, but she would have to take a lot of course work (she's a nurse) and she would have to take new tests and then probably work night rotations which would be almost impossible.

Are there any states besides California that do this?

Yeah, we are going bankrupt but not from this, from illegals using services and not paying taxes on them. From poor tax planning and giving away to much without forcing the poor to work. But DO NOT screw over the disabled and elderly because some people refuse to EARN a living and become productive members of society.

If I have to choose children or the disabled, I am choosing the disabled. People will donate $$ to children.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 10:45 PM
 
446 posts, read 836,446 times
Reputation: 173
nana,
There are some states mentioned in prior posts on this thread - Colorado, Kentucky, North Carolina, Minnesota (for adult children only.) I'm sure I'm missing some that were mentioned. I do know available services can sometime depend on the county you live in within a state. Bear in mind a state will usually pay a relative caregiver much less than what they'd pay out for a non-family caregiver - it would be far cheaper to help a family that wanted to keep their child home than to provide residential or even daily care. I've never understood the logic of that...unless of course there is no family or its a bad living situation for the disabled person.
As a single parent, I personally have never earned enough to pay a caretaker. Now that my disabled child is a young woman, its harder to trust a stranger even if I could afford it full time.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2011, 01:54 AM
 
2 posts, read 8,217 times
Reputation: 10
Default Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformationPlease View Post
North Carolina has services where the family member can be paid to offer care for their relative.
So you say that NC will pay could you possible tell me where I live in NC and I was told one thing and yet another and I am running out of time here... I have a disabled 6 year old son who is totally dependant on me or a caregiver to care for him.I am having trouble making ends meet due to the lack of service providers or cna... I have been told he is too skilled to take on as a client But yet he doesn't quallify for LPN level care. I have been told that I could care for him myself and I have been told i can't until he is 18 or 21. I don't know what to believe anymore and I am a single mother I have no support other then this of which isn't much help.. It's 4 am and I am sick as a dog with a fever and all i can think about is my son. how am i going to get through this and help him and us.I will probally lose my job if i can't find a provider and i was NOT informed by my case manager in enough time to do that , that I didn't have a provider I don't know what to do.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2011, 01:58 PM
 
3,779 posts, read 3,051,558 times
Reputation: 5027
Put "advocacy for children with disabilities in North Carolina" in the search engine and it will bring up a list of possibilities. Either start calling or emailing everyone and if they can't help, ask them to help direct you to who can help. Our son is 24 years old and I have been doing this for a long time. There is never an easy solution and you must be very determined to get the attention you need and deserve for your son.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2011, 10:10 AM
 
1 posts, read 7,553 times
Reputation: 10
Default Hey

My name is Robert and I'm living in the state of Florida. My Uncle is disabled and I'm helping take care of him and can definitely use some extra money right now. I was wondering if there was a way I could get paid for helping out?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top