Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 11:56 AM

10 posts, read 11,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshongis View Post
Hi, I read your question and was wondering what state do u live in?.....I have a 5yr old son who is severely disabled I live in Colorado and found this ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL program which is really not a Program its a JOB like any other.....I am my sons CNA I get paid hrly. (very good pay by the way)....get a weekly check....Health benefits etc. If you want more info. just send me a message and I will let you know all the details about it.....
Hi, I also read your posting and was wondering which agency you're working to take care of your son. Do you mind to share it with me too?
Thanks,
Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 12:30 PM

25 posts, read 47,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMOM View Post
Hi there, could you share the name of the program you found. I have a disabled son as well and Colorado agencies are dumbfounded, telling me the hourly rate is $7.24 an hour and no benefits. I have researched other states and found out Colorado ranks 48th in the nation on the amount they pay parents to take care of their child/adult family member. Another state has quoted me over $5K a month to take care of my child at home.

Thanks much
What state offers you $5k a month ???

Old 09-18-2014, 11:10 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisong37 View Post
PhxBarb,

I found your reply in an old thread and I was wondering if you could provide more information on a parent being paid to care for or provide services for a disabled adult child? We are looking into a job opportunity for my husband in the Phoenix area and we have a disable adult (21 yr old) son.
Contact the Arizona Dept of Economic Security, Division of Developmental Disabilities. Their website will tell you what info you need and whom to contact.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:43 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
I know that I posted earlier to this long thread but I have read the last couple pages to see what was currently being said. First, some states have waiting lists for services, KS is one of them which means that although you may qualify, you won't receive services until they, the state, has the funding available for the program. From what I could gather in my research since we are considering relocating, most states don't pay that much and when dealing with disabilities, this is a good website to watch: Parenting & Caregiving News - Disability Scoop In KS and I believe most states, it is determined how many hours you are actually assisting the person with disabilities and in KS, depending on the agency you choose the pay ranges from around $8.80 an hour to $9.30 an hour with no other benefits. No home caregiver can get more than 40 hours or so I have hear but very few get that many hours. I care for my son 24/7 after pulling him out of 3 day service centers (anywhere from abuse, neglect to exploitation in a state that just accepts that is what happens). In KS, I have to call to clock in and call to clock out in a system that keep tracks of my hours and I have to put codes in. Had I kept my job with federal civil service, I would be retiring with a nice retirement check and money in the bank since it would be paying twice what I make staying at home with my son not to mention the work would be easier. I believe that home care by relatives will be the wave of the future. So, basically, you won't make a lot of money and you will be held accountable for the hours and services and someone will be checking up on you. In, KS, they just gave Medicaid to 3 private companies in order to cut costs and we are just beginning to see how that will be done.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,704 times
What is the program? I am in ohio, my husband is disabled. I have to stay home to care for him. I am already a nurse. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshongis View Post
Hi, I read your question and was wondering what state do u live in?.....I have a 5yr old son who is severely disabled I live in Colorado and found this ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL program which is really not a Program its a JOB like any other.....I am my sons CNA I get paid hrly. (very good pay by the way)....get a weekly check....Health benefits etc. If you want more info. just send me a message and I will let you know all the details about it.....

Old 02-22-2015, 10:17 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,422,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakpeak1 View Post
How much money can a single mother of 10 mentally handicapped children get per hour/week/month to be their full-time caregiver at home in Indiana? Ages range from 12-29.
Is this YOU we are talking about?

Old 02-23-2015, 03:48 PM

274 posts, read 353,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Is this YOU we are talking about?
You might not get an answer to this question because the poster made that one post in 2011

Old 04-23-2015, 06:04 AM

Here is an article that discusses different possible options: How to Get Paid for Being a Family Caregiver*|*Jim T. Miller The article is only a little over a year old but they make constant changes to programs so one would need to make contact with the appropriate agency to get the most current info.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,434 times
I had to resign for my job to take of my daughter that is now 19 years, She has multiple Sclerosis and two of the treatments didn't help her. She received SSI but is not enough, How can I get paid to care for my daughter.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monique19 View Post
I had to resign for my job to take of my daughter that is now 19 years, She has multiple Sclerosis and two of the treatments didn't help her. She received SSI but is not enough, How can I get paid to care for my daughter.
Your daughter will need to qualify for services. Does she have a case manager through the state where you are living? Home and Community Based Services under Medicaid provide the Personal Care Service funding for my son.

This is another article: Home & Community Based Services | Medicaid.gov

In our case, as many others, there can be a waiting list for services even if the person qualifies for the service. I think our wait was about 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving