Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:15 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,071,093 times

Advertisements

I realize this is an old thread, but this is a timeless problem, so I did a search simply using this sentence; States that pay for relatives providing in home care to disabled.
Here is a link to a report....03' a bit outdated but could give a good starting point and at least some names of agencies that you could research further. http://www.cga.ct.gov/2003/olrdata/a...003-R-0040.htm
There were more links that resulted from that one search.
Here are just a few that are very beneficial imo
http://caregiver.org/caregiver/jsp/f...sp?nodeid=2083
http://www.ehow.com/list_7232948_med...-benefits.html
http://www.homecarefiles.org/Educati...-Article-6.cfm
http://www.caring.com/questions/medi...mily-caregiver

Last edited by JanND; 09-17-2012 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 08:26 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,487,967 times
My assumption is that these disabled adults (adult children from the OPs original post) qualify for medicaid, or SSDI and this is what is being used to pay for their care? (by relatives, or strangers..?)

This wouldn't really be applicable to many who are relying on medicare (they don't pay for home care, except in very specific circumstances).

However there is nothing to stop anyone from being qualified as a CNA, such that if you loved one qualifies for that kind of care - you could be the one providing it.

Just remember - it is income and you will have to report it accordingly.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:58 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,071,093 times
If anyone does read the links, please re-post any valuable information. Check w/ your State/County guidelines.
Many of the answers are on the web. Lots of information out there. I provided just a few, one is the Medicare homepage.
No need to guess. I saw nothing about CNA being a requirement related to the OP's question. "Does anyone know which states allow relatives to get paid for caring for disabled adults living at home?

Old 09-18-2012, 07:26 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,487,967 times
My apologies JanND -- you are correct, there is nothing requiring someone being a CNA to be paid to care for someone.

We routinely hire people to perform the functions of a CNA, who are not at that moment CNA certified.

I simply meant to state that there is nothing preventing anyone from learning how to provide whatever type of care is needed (which normally would mean CNA type activities) - and then qualifying as the caregiver.

Just remember it is income!!! At one point my parents' lawyers suggested that I be paid for my assistance. My husband and I quickly vetoed that - as the additional income on top of my current full time income (and my husbands) would create a very difficult tax liability that would far outweigh the minor cash transfer.

So, just remember being hired by your loved one does create Tax issues. (Also, if your loved one is hiring you directly (i.e. you are not working for an agency) - they will have to pay payroll taxes (medicare, ss contribution) on your employment as well.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:51 PM

999 posts, read 4,636,537 times
This all is dependent on the state one lives in. I know that in CO a parent can be paid to care for a minor child with disabilities at home (different counties sometimes run their programs differently as well, but I know someone in CO who is able to be paid to care for her child at home).
I live in NC and the rules specifically state that a parent cannot be a paid caregiver (even if I were to become a CNA and work for an agency) for their minor child. I have heard conflicting information on what happens when she becomes an adult, I'll have to explore that further this year!

Old 10-01-2012, 01:17 AM

449 posts, read 1,692,446 times
Glad to see people still sharing info. I have found out that in some states, a parent or siblings cannot get funding but an aunt or cousin (relative outside the immediate family) could. Or if a parent or sibling say, is the legal guardian or has power of attorney - then they cannot. Or, they can if the disabled person is an adult but not a child. Briolat has a good point about tax implications too. It really varies a lot between the states. I have a friend in Pennsylvania who cannot qualify for state help because she's the 2nd person with power of attorney, in case her sibling the 1st POA should die. Her mother refuses to let a "stanger in the house" to help or to even try a day program, though she is eligible for both.

My original point was that if a state will pay someone else to care for a disabled family member so others in the household can work, why can't that same funds be used for a relative to do the same and generally the state "saves" money because rates for relative caregivers are usually lower than what the cost of specialized care would cost (and less taxpayer money, which could be used for other programs). I realize, it may have to do with relatives taking advantage of or abusing vulnerable relatives but the same abuses are possible in care facilities or non-related home health aides. And a lot of times,
there are waiting list, or nothing available in your area. In our case, day program hours were 9-1 with nowhere for care before or after. Fortunately, I had another relative who could fill in extra and was happy to do it for little costs so I could work more hours but what if I didn't? No everyone has other relatives willing or able to pitch in to help. And I've had to cut back hours I can work to be home, which means less retirement savings, less household money, etc. I'm sure there are other families and single parents in the same situation.

My dd needs supervision and its "comparably" easier to get her into a group home situation or state nursing home(how much does That cost a state?) than getting some funding to keep her at home where she wants to be in the first place. I do know they won't give a family anywhere near what those places would receive, so again it would save state and federal money. But again, this is our family's preference. Other family's and disabled adults themselves have their own preferences.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:09 PM

32 posts, read 99,983 times
CA has a program that does this.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,233 times
I live in kentucky, work mitchell p. I would like to move to florida but not if there are benefits beyond this

Old 02-05-2014, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,073 times
Default Home and Community Based Services by State

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom View Post
I found a site that might be helpful to someone else - on the right side of the list toward the bottom you can look up Home and Community based services by state and waiver programs. Some good info on other state programs are also listed. It's a starting point though I'd suggest you check carefully, I've found there's been service cuts due to the economy right now.

[URL="http://www.cms.hhs.gov/home/medicaid.asp"]Medicaid[/URL]

desangel - sorry I haven't been around lately, thank you for the link and info you shared. It's appreciated.

Hello, I think you are just who I am looking for. Do you have the link to this site. I live in Washington State and we, my daughter and I need this information desperately. Thank you so much. mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 02-06-2014 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: please utilize DM feature - putting your email on a forum isn't a good idea

Old 02-07-2014, 08:36 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,722,266 times
Family Care Navigator

State-by-State Help for Family Caregivers

FCA: Family Care Navigator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving