U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-13-2009, 02:22 AM

440 posts, read 787,715 times
Default Does anyone know which states allow relatives to get paid for caring for disabled adults living at home?

Someone told me that if I obtained guardianship (which I'm doing regardless) that its possible for a family member to get paid for caring for our mentally disabled adult child at home. I know its lower than market wages but it would sure help - the only adult day care is only available 3-4 hours a day and not every day. I'm finding the adult day care's aren't always appropriate with much older clients or nothing but a tv for "activities." I'd feel safer with a relative than a stranger. I do know some states will pay a stranger but not a relative. It's hard enough to juggle work hours now, school is ending soon and even transition work programs aren't all day programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-13-2009, 05:40 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,970,375 times
My mother was placed on Medicaid and then Hospice. She was given a 'budget' of what her services could be. Her wheelchair, bed, etc came out of that budget. She had money left for an aid, but chose a service for 4 hours a day.

I cared for her the other 20 hours w/o pay. I'd much rather get a break-be able to shower/nap/eat...than get that money. (which wasn't much)

So, check with your dept of social services. If you are on medicaid there may be services available. If not, there may be something.
Check with your child's doctor. They are a great resource.
And then I guess try to network with other parents of disabled children- they may know.

Good luck! It isn't easy but hang in.

Unread 01-13-2009, 10:15 AM

VesgasGrace,
Thanks for the reply - I wasn't sure where to inquire. It is a juggling act isn't it, its working fairly well now because I can work nights thanks to a sibling who so far, is living with us. Sleep is usually the first compromise, which would be a split shift thing if there are only part-time solutions. I can't expect my sibling to cut their hours and I can't afford to cut mine to be more available - though I would if I needed to. I don't know why more programs aren't around to help the families of adult kids who want to stay home. Foster homes and group homes costs more and are able to get funds. No disrespect meant to either of them, I just get frustrated at having to choose between a f/t job with benefits or working less to be more available but struggling financially so I can't afford things to expand her life experiences further. The most flexible job would be for me to be an in-home aid - to get income to pay someone else to be my childs in-home aid. Even with school, there are no safe alternatives for before/after school care. Getting help seems an all or nothing situation - the decisions are harder now that they're adults age-wise but mentally still a child needing supervision.

Unread 01-23-2009, 12:02 AM

193 posts, read 440,754 times
I worked for a home health care company for a couple of years, and several of my patients had family members who were employed by our company as caregivers, in fact they were actually paid about $2 more an hour than the regular non-related caregivers. If the family member had something come up where they needed someone to cover their "shift" the agency would send one of us that was a "regular" caregiver over (also a sweet deal since we benefited from the extra pay, I think because the funding came from the gov. for those clients). Not sure how that was set up, but you could probably find out quite easily by calling any of your local homecare companies (especially the larger ones).

I think that the other way that relatives are paid for providing shelter/care is through the DD waiver, as it's called here in NM, not sure if that is a country wide term. This is often what helps pay for group homes (though I guess some don't qualify, or they don't apply in time, it can take 7 yrs to get approved, so I know some people pay for group homes through their ssi). Anyhow, I know of people who had the DD waiver and lived with family, where the family did receive some money, since they weren't living in a group home. Here in NM I believe it is the Income Support Division (or in your area, which ever agency handles foodstamps/medicaid/etc), but I could be wrong. Either way you could most likely find out more by calling them as well. If they aren't the ones who do the applications for your state's waiver, they likely know who you do need to contact.

Also you may very well qualify for respite programs as well (usually provided in your home rather than at a center). I also worked for a company which provided one on one support to individuals with disabilities, community support basically. We weren't really respite providers, rather we supported people in whatever their goals were (shopping, going to college, working, volunteering, pretty much whatever they were interested in getting involved with, and our client's levels really varied, everything from super high functioning, to very low). I'm not sure who exactly is the "clearinghouse" for respite care for adults, I'm fairly certain that some of the early intervention organizations also have branches of their organization for adult respite. If they don't though, they also would know exactly who you needed to contact (and early intervention places tend to be really helpful). Many states (probably all) also have parent/guardian resource groups which provided tons of information related to disabilities & the resources available in your state, they are often called parents reaching out, but not always.

Best of luck!

Last edited by nightwishfan; 01-23-2009 at 12:12 AM..

Unread 01-27-2009, 09:41 AM

nightwishfan,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Thank you so much for all the helpful information you shared, it gives me a few things I can check into further. It will be easier with the ideas about what direction to investigate. We're actually checking into NM and TX for a move in the next year or two so the info will be very useful if we head that way. Thanks again

Unread 01-27-2009, 10:11 AM

3,254 posts, read 3,154,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom View Post
Someone told me that if I obtained guardianship (which I'm doing regardless) that its possible for a family member to get paid for caring for our mentally disabled adult child at home. I know its lower than market wages but it would sure help - the only adult day care is only available 3-4 hours a day and not every day. I'm finding the adult day care's aren't always appropriate with much older clients or nothing but a tv for "activities." I'd feel safer with a relative than a stranger. I do know some states will pay a stranger but not a relative. It's hard enough to juggle work hours now, school is ending soon and even transition work programs aren't all day programs.
Well if you have a mentally or phsycially disabled adult child who has been diagnosed and is under medical care etc.. then he would qualify for home services if they have needs with grooming, eating, shopping, or other issues.
IN HOME SERVICES usually get $300 or so a month to care for an adult who cannot care for themselves for whatever reason. You can hire someone to care for them (but the more hours neccessary, the less you can pay someone to care for them), or you can hire yourself, pocket the money for your time and effort caring for the person.
IN california this would be the website. http://www.cdss.ca.gov/agedblinddisabled/PG1785.htm

I am sure each state offers the same thing.

Unread 01-28-2009, 10:07 AM

Taboo2, Thank you for the information and the website link. I'll check further into our state to see if they have a similar program.

Unread 01-28-2009, 10:32 AM

3,254 posts, read 3,154,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom View Post
Taboo2, Thank you for the information and the website link. I'll check further into our state to see if they have a similar program.
You're welcome.

I just looked at our county and it stated "The In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) program is a federal, state, and locally funded program designed to provide assistance to those eligible aged, blind, and disabled individuals who, without this care, would be unable to remain safely in their own homes. IHSS provides services according to the client’s ability to perform daily activities, and can include feeding, bathing, dressing, housekeeping, laundry, shopping, meal preparation and clean up, respiration, bowel & bladder care, moving in and out of bed, rubbing the skin (to prevent skin breakdown), accompaniment to medical appointments, paramedical services, and protective supervision."

So it is federal program so i hope your state and local area can help you. Social Services might call it something other than in home support services but someone should stil be able to assist you in signing up.

Best of luck!

Unread 02-12-2009, 11:07 PM

9 posts, read 53,565 times
Hi, I read your question and was wondering what state do u live in?.....I have a 5yr old son who is severely disabled I live in Colorado and found this ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL program which is really not a Program its a JOB like any other.....I am my sons CNA I get paid hrly. (very good pay by the way)....get a weekly check....Health benefits etc. If you want more info. just send me a message and I will let you know all the details about it.....

Unread 02-13-2009, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 13,797 times
Hey, I read your response and I have been my husbands caregiver for almost 6 years (he is quadriplegic). Please tell me what this wonderful program is you found. We live is Florida so they might have something similar here as to what you have. Any help is appreciated - Thank you so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving