U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-22-2009, 11:29 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,296,513 times

Advertisements

For whatever it's worth, you also need to take care of yourself, which is what you appear to be doing. Yes, it's very, very hard, and there are many of us facing that with spouses and elderly parents. Dementia/alzheimer's is very possibly the most cruel of all, as it is a slow death with loved ones having to watch.

I watched two very dear aunts wear themselves down to nothing taking care of husbands with dementia/stroke--and I mean that literally. One developed heart disease and went slowly downhill. I saw the strongest woman I have ever known break down into tears over the stress. She died a few years ago at 85 years of age. Thank God she was herself mentally to the end. I miss her terribly.

The other one finally had a stroke after years of intense caregiving--no longer knows her own daughter any longer, so she's technically gone, even though her body is still here.

These women rejected outside help, and refused to even consider a nursing home, even though that would have helped both of them immensely. Each one paid a very heavy price, and I miss both.

But they made their choices, so they had to live with the consequences. I wish they had chosen otherwise (both would probably still be here), but they did what they thought they had to do, and I respected their decisions, even though I didn't like them.

My heart goes out to you. We're facing the same issues.....and I don't know what we'll do.

Take care of yourself, OK? Hopefully you will adjust and learn to live with the decision you have made.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 11:44 AM

108 posts, read 200,291 times
Is it possible to find a home that would take both of you? Maybe not so much of nursing homes we think of, but one that will cater to his needs, your independence allowing the personal space for privacy and your ability to come & go, fix meals, etc, etc.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:57 AM

50,031 posts, read 42,368,204 times
Donna,

I know this is one of life's hardest decisions. I see it daily with some of my bridge friends. Many have spouses that they either can no longer take care or or barely.

We went through it with my mother in law many years ago. The sad thing there, she was still mentally pretty alert, but physically she could no long take care of herself. She couldn't even manage in assistant living. We watched her go down hill from then on. Of course she was in her 90s at the time. To add insult to injury we moved and made the decision not to move her. She passed away about 3 months later.

I would suggest you talk to the social worker at the nursing home.

Nita

Old 09-23-2009, 11:53 AM

114 posts, read 142,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaARt View Post
My husband has dementia, is in a wheelchair as he cannot walk well, and has other health problems. I have been his main caregiver for 4years. My health is failing to the point that I can no longer take care of him. I put him in an excellent nursing home and must say I am extremely pleased at the care he is receiving. I actually am surprised at level of service and care he is receiving. But I cannot get over the guilt in putting him there. He keeps calling to come home and my guilt gets worse and worse. Are there any support groups that can help me deal with this. My depression is worsening and I would appreciate any help or advise.
Thank you very much!
Donna - you have my sympathy and I do understand what you are going through. However, don't beat yourself up. It sounds like he is in a good location and being well taken care of. You didn't say where you're located but if you're in ABQ then Friends in Time is a great group - I got to know them over the past 15 to 20 years. Lyn & Tracy are excellent people and truely care about the folks they visit as part of their jobs. I met them because one of my best friends was fighting MS for 20 years and had to unfortunately be placed in a facility that was medicaid/medicare. As the others suggested, talk with the social services director at the facility - they can help direct you in the right direction.

My best to you - Otis

Old 09-23-2009, 12:12 PM

2,919 posts, read 7,316,145 times
So sorry to hear of your plight. Perhaps having some things from home or some familiar music would help him to be less anxious.

This is one of the more difficult aspects of life and one in which we have little choice in order for him to receive the necessary care without killing yourself in the process. Short of being able to afford round the clock help at home with him, which is less feasible with such a long term prognosis, you had not much of an alternative. Don't beat yourself up, assure him this is his new home, and he will see you every day. Do take some time for yourself to unwind from what you have already had to bear.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:13 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,554,186 times
maem you are a good loving person you have done the right thing.
not like mine who tried to put me in a home at 28 for the same reason.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:18 PM

11,805 posts, read 14,302,044 times
DonnaARt: You certainly shouldn't feel guilty for doing the right thing, and by any objective measure, you have. The alternative is totally impracticable; it would only hurt you and him too. It's a horrible situation and I feel the greatest empathy for you.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:30 PM

4,629 posts, read 6,262,836 times
We, each of us, is powerless when faced with this cold-hearted thief. The only choice you had was to put your DH with people who are skilled in dealing with this disease. As everyone has said, you did not only the right thing, but the loving thing.

Please seek support and know that you are not alone. With the best of thoughts ~

Felina

Old 09-24-2009, 07:56 PM

167 posts, read 363,781 times
Donna, My partners Mother has Dementia and I know its very very hard on her as she has power of attorney and has to make the final decisions. A nursing home will be coming up soon for Connie.

Try not to feel guilty, there really is nothing to feel guilty about. The very fact that you do feel so bad shows just how much you care and are a loving partner. Do ask the Nursing home and any local social workers if there are any support groups in your area, or just start googling "Dementia Support for families" and see what comes up. There should be a contact that could steer you to your closest group, or even an online support network. These things do help as others who have walked this path, can guide you and answer your questions and help you feel you are not alone. And you are NOT alone!

Here in City-data, many people have come to offer you thier care and support....Try to enjoy your life, a day at a time. Life goes so fast, so smell the flowers and enjoy the sunset all while knowing you are a good person who has done everything they can do... Of course, he wants to come home, its natural. And I am sure that is hard for you. But you are going to be OK. Take good care and let us know how you are doing and if and what you found out there. I am sure it will be helpful for someone else, perhaps even us very soon.

Lauren

Old 06-01-2012, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,944 times
not sure why the cursing occurs esp in folks who never cuss..but my husband never used foul language and has the LBD ...also remember it in helping nursing home patients and they would curse a lot..kind of surprising huh..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving