Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:28 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

Empty toilet paper rolls, crumpled up tea envelopes, milk bottle caps.

One of their favorite toys is a 6 by 2 tube of fabric, sewed together and stuffed with batting (and a bit o' 'nip). They attack it, claw it, bat it around, and ultimately pillow their little heads on it when they nap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Cats have been known to actually chew off yarn and swallow i
One of mine doesn't chew it off; he will try to swallow the whole damn yarn ball, inch by inch. I've pulled a couple of feet out of his gullet before nixing yarn, ribbons, thread, and anything similar as toys, even with supervision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 02:38 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Second the plastic ring from plastic jugs! Also cardboard boxes and paper grocery bags.

Another fun toy is a piece of fleece, approximately 1" x 5", with a knot tied in the middle. The kits love to toss it in the air, grab it and run .....
I take three or four of them and put them together, wrapping electrical tape around them until you have an open mini frisbee. Throw them and they sail nicely in case you get a fetcher. They can chew on the tape but it is tough enough it doesn't shread.

Any box. Doesn't matter how big or small, or if its got stuff in it. Best for the stuff if you remove it to a safer place or it may be a rip up toy.

My older cat loved the puffs on the end of my shoelaces. When I changed them I cut them off and she was soooo happy.

Unfortunately they also love the wire things you put in there to keep junk from clogging the pipes. Who knows where they end up if I don't put them away when not in use. And my sponges. Maybe it stealing it away from Mom thats so fun.

The only non-homemade toys they have are the little balls with bells. These are really a great CHEAP toy too.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:41 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Please tell your cousin to be very careful. Cats have been known to actually chew off yarn and swallow it, making for a possibility of having an intestinal blockage. When I knit my afghans, yes, my cats LOVE to play with the balls of yarn, yet I am there supervising!
I am a serial crochet fan, and my older cat has learned NOT to touch the yarn. I'll have to teach the others again since they were too young to learn last winter. I usually pull it out of the skein so there is no pull and its SO fun to land in the middle and tangle away.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:54 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,244 times
thanks all for some great ideas, I've made some toys by sowing material into a ball, ropes are good toys too...but you have to watch the fraying I suppose....especially with kittens...I try to not spend money on (expensive) toys plus they seem to have so much more fun with just a plain cardboard box....

Old 06-13-2010, 10:06 AM

622 posts, read 1,724,211 times
Get a friend who hunts, have some old shoestrings and put a feather from one of the birds he/she kills on it- works like a charm!.

Pheasent feathers are a bomb.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:40 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,215,513 times
I second the box. Not a toy specifically, but an essential accessory. Playing with ANY toy that is in the box is usually infinitely better than playing with the same toy anywhere else.

Sadie will not be parted from her box. I had this Amazon box on the floor after taking out its contents and within minutes she made CLEAR that I could never discard this particular box. Other boxes have come and gone, but this one is simply her one and only beloved bed. I've had it for approximately six years and have made sure it survived two moves.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:39 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
My mom's cat will play with an empty toilet paper roll for hours...

My cat likes to chase macadamia nuts from the tree outside all around the apartment on the wood floors. Unfortunately those are terribly noisy so I have to make sure I take them away from him at night, otherwise I'm woken up at 3am with the sound of them rolling around

Old 06-14-2010, 03:10 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,244 times
cats are such interesting characters...I defintely love the box cat, Crowgirl! She fits perfectly!

Old 06-14-2010, 07:32 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Sadie is beautiful and clearly in The Best Cat Bed Ever.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:36 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,861,667 times
super cute pic.... I guess most cats will entertain themselves with the littlest things. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats