U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-18-2010, 12:36 PM

5,287 posts, read 6,028,034 times
Default Shampoo or cornstarch bath

My cat needs some sort of bath. He got out a few days ago (although he usually doesn't roam). His coat is dirty, dusty, in general a bit of a mess.

He does not appear to have fleas. We used Frontline and Capstar, so apparently that did the trick. also gave him tapeworm medicine.

I've never bathed Mittems before (although I have bathed other cats). I bought some cat shampoo from Petco that supposed to be gentle on the coat, also, some spray on leave in conditioner that should help with fleas.

I then read you can dry bathe a cat by using corn starch. Just brush the corn starch on, brush it off, its ok for them to lick it off. also, allpy a few drops of tea tree oil to the corn starch mixture to repel fleas.

I tried the cornstarch thing last night, but just used a little, he wouldn't sit still for me to brush it in thoroughly. I wonder, is it really ok for them to llick and injest the cornstarch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 12:45 PM

2,457 posts, read 2,789,374 times
Since a bath is usually traumatic for any cat, I would suggest you allow Mittens to groom himself to remove the dirt on his coat. A little bit of dirt won't hurt anything. You will be surprised at how fast and how completely Mittens will groom himself.

As for the cornstarch, I would hold off on that. If he doesn't have fleas, why would you continue to treat him for fleas?

Not to point fingers, not at all, but it sounds a little like Mittens Mom is over-reacting just a tad bit. Take a deep breath, and have trust in Mittens that he knows what is best to do.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:35 PM

3,456 posts, read 4,645,569 times
I have bathed my cat on occassion; it is not a pleasant experience for the cat or the person bathing the cat, but sometimes they just get so darn dirty that nothing but a bath will do.

I have never tried the corn starch but have also heard of it as a sort of "home remedy." But, honestly, the best way to clean a cat's coat is to brush it. After I have wiped her down with paper towels, I will run a flea comb through my kit's fur, as it gets the fine sand/dirt granules that are beneath the surface (as well as a lot of hair that might become fur balls). And besides, my cat LOVES her flea comb; she gets so frisky and happy when I brush her with it. It is definitely a more pleasant experience than when I bathe her.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:48 PM

21,237 posts, read 11,761,624 times
While I had two cats who loved the water most of mine would rather forgo that particular activity. For the truly filthy and dirty who were leaving a trail of dust that would make Pig-Pen jealous I would try to get in a few swipes with a wet wash cloth.

I'm with Garden that cats know best. But I draw the line when they leave the couch dirty.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:01 PM

2,457 posts, read 2,789,374 times
Oh, forgive me. I wasn't implying no matter how dirty, don't intervene. My cats all are so clean, that when they do get a bit dirty, I know it is time for me to clean the house. Because my mental vision of what I see a cat to be, my mind just did not go to filthy. If a bath is a must, please just be careful. Cats have been known to freak in water, and struggle to get away from the water, and in the process, someone usually gets hurt, and it is most likely the owner of the pet, not the pet, himself.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:18 PM

21,237 posts, read 11,761,624 times
Hi Garden!

I agree, most cats ARE clean. And most kittys will not tolerate a bath. My problem, here in the desert, is the dust and dirt that gets tracked into the house. (No grass. Not a lot of concrete.) So when you come in the house the dust comes in on your shoes. And I have one cat that immediately will lie down and cuddle up to the shoes. (We take them off at the door.) The dirtier the better as far as he is concerned. He's a rescue so I think he equates shoes with "outside" smells and freedom.

No need to ask for forgiveness. We all know you have nothing but the best interests of our little furry friends in your heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats