Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:56 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times

Advertisements

Your are confusing the two! Neomycin is the" OPTICAL" version of Neosporin! Neosporin is NOT Neomycin. Neomycin IS for use in the eye....Neosporin is not. And if you meant not to put in the eye and then you should be very clear of that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:20 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,032 times
.....In the meantime......

Op's cat is suffering. At the very least, please put warm water compresses on the eyes a few times a day.

I will not play verbal ping pong. Peace.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:16 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,225 times
All the compounds in Neosporin (Neomycin, Polymyxin B sulfate, and Bacitrycin) are used for optical applications...the reason the tube says "do not use in eyes" is because it is an ointment and not a liquid that can be squirted into the eyes...consequently, they MAKE the liquid eye version so if one is able to put two and two together and is smart enough to look up information before freaking out and buying a product that contains the exact same crap in different packaging and consistency, one will realize it is a marketing tactic to get the consumer to buy more product. Plain and simple. The fact that vets have said it's perfectly safe and the fact that many people I know, myself included, have used it with great success and absolutely no ill side effects speaks for itself.

As to the comment about being more clear about not putting it directly in the eye, what do you think happens when you wipe it across the eye? Some of it GOES INTO the eye, just as anything applied topically to our skin ends up INSIDE our bodies. The reason for wiping a small dab rather than globbing it in is because not that much is necessary to heal the issue, a little goes a long way.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:44 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
RxMed: Pharmaceutical Information - NEOSPORIN

OP...Please use or do not use info at your own discretion. Do your homework!

Old 06-29-2010, 02:38 PM

30 posts, read 152,928 times
If neomycin is used specifically for animals and you can get it without a referral then it would be preferable than anything that is made for human use. I have never heard of it or used it so I can't say anything about it one way or the other. If you do use neosporin then I agree with luvmycat. Use the original. Of course going to the vet would be the ideal way to deal with most any problem. However if you don't have the money (and I've been there before) then doing nothing can be worse. I would suggest doing your homework and using what ever you are most comfortable with.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:21 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,225 times
Any news on how the kitties are doing???

Old 07-01-2010, 12:47 AM

399 posts, read 2,253,536 times
Do NOT use anything with 'HC' (hydrocortisone) in it unless you are POSITIVE there are NO scratches to the cornea. Much, much safer to use a triple antibiotic ointment made for eyes - will cause no damage or make anything worse. There ARE ointments made for eyes, it actually helps soothe and makes the medications stay in the eyes longer. I have ordered triple antibiotic eye ointment without prescriptions many times. Do NOT order the hydrocortisone kind, just not worth the risk.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:37 PM

323 posts, read 742,091 times
Just simply...
First State Vet Supply - Home of the Chicken Doctor - Online Store...
I use it on my cats and dogs when needed as well as my poultry. The web site is a Veterinarian.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:26 AM

Just today, I used my own advice again. My Whispers, who is a very fragile young feral cat, has been having trouble with his eyes off and on since I first rescued him in Dec. '09. Today I noticed he seemed really uncomfortable with his nose pinched and white. I carefully took him out of his nest, nestled him in between my legs on the floor, and carefully looked at his eyes. His eye lids look red and inflamed. So what did I do?

No, I did not make an appointment with a vet. This cat has never been to a vet (yet) for I know the terror will be extremely detrimental to him. As I stated, he is fragile....both in body and in mind. That trip in of itself could break his mind, and I am NOT willing to take that chance!

I brought him into the bathroom. I ran a very soft washcloth under very warm water. I then dabbed a tiny bit of Neosporin on the washcloth itself, rubbing it into the washcloth. Taking Whispers, I then wiped his one eye first with the part of the washcloth with the Neosporin on it, and then held that warm cloth on his eye for as long as he would tolerate it. I repeated the entire sequence with his other eye. Then I let him go.

In a matter of minutes, his nose turned pink again, and the last time I checked in on him, he is all curled up in his nest, sound asleep.

There comes a time when circumstances dictate using intelligence and making due with what is on hand that you KNOW is safe. Going to a vet is not always possible, especially with what all I do, caring for ill and special wild and feral cats in and out of my home.

Please do not take off my head for posting this. I know this works, and if you disagree because this is not the "usual" course of action, that is fine, for you are entitled to your opinion. I thought it important enough to write on this thread, to reinforce the fact, that yes, you can use Neosporin only IF you know you understand how to use it correctly. In my opinion, it is better to alleviate suffering as best you can with what you have. IF you know the problem is more then you can handle, seek outside help.

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 07-05-2010 at 10:39 AM..

Old 07-05-2010, 11:42 AM

Default Whispers

For those of you here who remember me posting about Whispers when he first arrived on my door step, here is a recent picture of him. I have walked through fire and back to save this precious baby's life, and if any of you think I would for one moment do anything to harm him, you are wrong.

He has become a very healthy little boy, except for recurring eye inflammations. I don't know if you can tell by this picture, but he is so fragile looking, and in fact, he reminds me of a fairy. He is still so tiny, and thin. IF these eye flair-ups continue, yes, I will consult a vet. But for now, I will try to clear these episodes up, and hopefully, as Whispers gains more weight that is normal for his frame, his eye problems will be a thing of the past.

And yeah! Those are definitely spray marks on the wall behind him, the walls washed, believe it or not. Work in progress there......I am presently experimenting with some products to help eliminate this problem. As soon as I get the results, you will have them.

FYI.....for those of you who don't know, I have TEN males in this house, EIGHT of them being either wild or feral cats. You can imagine the upkeep.

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 05-12-2011 at 08:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats