Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 01:42 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times

Advertisements

Whispers looks so clean and fit and handsome it hard to believe he has a problem of any kind. Great cat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 07:25 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
Thank you, Wilson! Pictures can be deceiving. IF you saw Whispers next to any of my other cats, you would see how fragile he is still looking. Very tiny bones, tiny tiny....except that his frame looks like his ideal weight should be about 14 pounds. He is now weighing in at 12 pounds. BUT, he has gone from 4.8 skin and bones pounds, to a healthy, yet tiny, 12 pounds. Progress!

OP....please excuse us for getting off the subject. I couldn't resist commenting on Wilson's post. Whispers is the love of my life, as well as all of my other babies....all 16 of them!

Old 07-05-2010, 08:24 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Thank you, Wilson! Pictures can be deceiving. IF you saw Whispers next to any of my other cats, you would see how fragile he is still looking. Very tiny bones, tiny tiny....except that his frame looks like his ideal weight should be about 14 pounds. He is now weighing in at 12 pounds. BUT, he has gone from 4.8 skin and bones pounds, to a healthy, yet tiny, 12 pounds. Progress!

OP....please excuse us for getting off the subject. I couldn't resist commenting on Wilson's post. Whispers is the love of my life, as well as all of my other babies....all 16 of them!
Well, before we get back on topic please post some more photos of that handsome fellow!

Old 07-05-2010, 08:30 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
Tomorrow is another day. But I promise I will.....watch out! Warning! You may fall in love! LOL LOL LOL

Old 07-10-2015, 02:12 PM

7 posts, read 11,061 times
The best solution for just washing a cat's eyes is very mild salt water. The same salt level as tears. Too much can burn. One you've got the gunk all cleaned away, You can get a better idea of what is going on. The salt solution alone is often enough to clear up the problem Do NOT use the cotton ball/tissue/cloth on both eyes, use a different one for each eye. Problems can be transferred from one eye to the next very easily. Always remember that every animal only gets one set of eyes. Treat them badly and miss diagnosis can cause irreparable blindness.

http://www.vetinfo.com/antibiotic-ey...-for-cats.html
Some common antibiotics used in the treatment of infected cat's eyes are:
  • Polysporin eye drops. This is an antibiotic.
  • Neo Poly Dex Opthalmic. This is an antibiotic.
  • Polymynixin B. This is an antibiotic.
  • deramethasome. This is a corticosteroid.
[LEFT]
Read more: Antibiotic Eye Drops for Cats
[/LEFT]

Old 03-26-2016, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,185 times
Ummmmm....MEOW!!!!

Old 03-27-2016, 09:32 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
If care credit isn't an option (and in this economy I know sometimes it isn't!) I second the suggestion for neosporin. It's safe and will not do any damage. Soak some cotton balls in warm water and gently wipe the area to clean and flush it out, then apply a bit of the ointment. Do this 2 to 3 times a day and it should clear up within a couple of days. It's always better to get a vet's diagnosis before treating something, but sometimes it isn't possible, and since neosporin is safe and effective I think this is a much better option than doing nothing...good luck!

First, bathe the eyes with warm water and Boric Acid, make a mild solution, use cotton balls, then rinse with warm water and pat dry, then use the Neosporin....

Folks, CareCredit is a good option, but not for OP. She doesn't have the time to apply, etc, especially during a holiday. Maybe she wouldn't qualify, either. Also, its $40 just to get in the door, probably higher over a weekend. Then, the bill starts running up for tests, medications, etc. We never walk out of a vet without a bill at least $100+, usually higher.

OP, I've seen this many times here. People ask for pet care advice, clearly stating they do NOT have the money for a vet, and they are told---go to a vet

Many times I've taken my cats in for a wound infection, and they prescribe Neosporin, anyways. At least its an option for today! Don't forget the Boric Acid---my mother used that on us when we had pink eye.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:33 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryath View Post
The best solution for just washing a cat's eyes is very mild salt water. The same salt level as tears. Too much can burn. One you've got the gunk all cleaned away, You can get a better idea of what is going on. The salt solution alone is often enough to clear up the problem Do NOT use the cotton ball/tissue/cloth on both eyes, use a different one for each eye. Problems can be transferred from one eye to the next very easily. Always remember that every animal only gets one set of eyes. Treat them badly and miss diagnosis can cause irreparable blindness.

http://www.vetinfo.com/antibiotic-ey...-for-cats.html
Some common antibiotics used in the treatment of infected cat's eyes are:

• Polysporin eye drops. This is an antibiotic.
  • Neo Poly Dex Opthalmic. This is an antibiotic.
  • Polymynixin B. This is an antibiotic.
  • deramethasome. This is a corticosteroid.
[LEFT]
Read more: Antibiotic Eye Drops for Cats
[/LEFT]

For a saline solution, use Epsom salt. Its safe, people drink it for various aliments!

Old 03-29-2016, 10:42 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
We have three cats, two of them have red, watery eyes which I think is cat's conjunctivitus. I have just had one financial "crisis" after another recently and just can't afford to pay $40 to take them to a vet.

Can someone recommend a treatment, or a website where I can order something that will fix this? Does anyone know whether we can get it ourselves from the cats?

Thanks!

I helped my cat get rid of conjunctivitis giving him 1/16 of a teaspoon mashed raw garlic diluted with water mixed into his wet food. It only took a few days to notice a big difference. You may only need 1/32. [Also don't buy into the scare tactic that garlic is bad for cats. Everything they tell us is bad for cats is usually the most effective in helping them get well.]

Before I tried the garlic, I was giving him eye drops recommended in Anitra Frazier's book. I made them up with saline solution--- 1/8 teaspoon salt (sea salt or sodium chloride) and a 1/2 cup boiling filtered(good) water which you cool and then you can store it for a week in the fridge. Then take 1 tablespoon saline solution and add 1 drop of Golden Seal (herbal extract). It shrinks and disinfects. Do not use this for longer than a week without taking a break.

To soothe red tissue make an Eye bright solution with 1 drop of Eye bright (herbal extract) with 1 Tablespoon boric acid.

To give the eye drops, stand behind the cat with his face facing away from you and the back of his head near you; lift up his chin; get a tiny piece of a cotton ball and hold between your thumb and finger; dip in the herbal eyewash solution. Hold a few inches above the eye coming from the forehead. [Bringing the drops in from the back is much easier because the cat doesn't see your approach and won't jerk away.] Squeeze out drips into the corner of his eye. You'll know it went in if he swallows right afterwards. To help make sure it goes in, you can sort of lift his upper eyelid open a smidge to make sure you see the drop roll in.

REcommendations from Dr John Christopher a famous herbalist and Naturopathic Doctor who practiced back in the day and who also started the oldest college of herbal medicine in the country you can find here: Known Herbal Formulas of Eyebright He would combine Eyebright and Golden Seal and other herbs.

The reason food and herbs should always be the first approach to healing something like this --- especially in the head --- is because orthodox veterinary care suppresses the symptoms. The LAST thing a cat needs with pus and mucus in his head trying to get out is to have it forced to remain there which is what allopathic treatment would do. It would merely push the problem deeper in the tissues. The object should be to get RID of the toxins not force them to stay in the body.

Last edited by emilybh; 03-29-2016 at 10:56 AM..

Old 11-01-2018, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,406 times
I have 3 cats, all healthy. The problem is their is a neighbors cat who is very friendly but doesnt get along with my cats. That cat has recently been infected with eyes that have pus in them. It started in 1 eye & now is in both. It is a a lot of pus, gray looking ooze and I know it is very contagious. I am not sure who this cat belongs to and am very afraid he will infect my cats. I am thinking to go door to door and ask who he belongs to & if no one claims him, to catch him & take him to the humane society. ( he begs at my door every night for food) . I cannot afford to have him treated and I cant afford for him to infect MY cats. & I do love cats and feel bad that his owner is so negligent. but.... am I doing the right thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats