Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 01:02 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,140 times

Advertisements

Glad to hear that she is going to the vet. That's all that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 01:11 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
Wow...so it turns out that this was just a major misunderstanding. I feel like such an idiot.

My brother told me that my mom said that she couldn't afford to take Kimber to the vet and would have to put her down.

I just called my mom and she said that she didn't want to put Kimber down, but she wouldn't have money to take her to the vet til tomorrow. She wanted me to know that if the treatment was going to cost thousands of dollars we might have to consider putting her down. In addition to throwing up and everything, she hasn't been eating at all and has lost a lot of weight.

So I told my mom that I'd contribute what I have to the cost. Hopefully we'll get good news tomorrow.

Well, lesson learned. Always contact the source directly before getting upset; the messenger may forget some key points and emotions can easily cloud a person's judgment.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
I have been following your post and I think that you have learned a very good lesson at a young age and that is good it takes some of us many yrs and many mistakes to learn the same lesson. Now that there is a reprieve take a deep breath and form a back up plan. Talk to your vets office and see if there is some kind of payment plan that you can go on if the cost is too high to afford all at once. Get together with your Mom and Dad and see if they can perhaps help you out should the cost is high. Now that the dust has settled do your best to get on you own so that you can have your wonderful kitty with you. I know that everything will turn out ok. I know that you were upset over your beloved pet been there done that myself. Take it from an old gal that used to let her emotions rule her common sense don't let your anger rule your head. Always step back and cool off before jumping into the fire. Now be sure and keep us updated on Kimbers health.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:24 PM

827 posts, read 3,094,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
I have been following your post and I think that you have learned a very good lesson at a young age and that is good it takes some of us many yrs and many mistakes to learn the same lesson. Now that there is a reprieve take a deep breath and form a back up plan. Talk to your vets office and see if there is some kind of payment plan that you can go on if the cost is too high to afford all at once. Get together with your Mom and Dad and see if they can perhaps help you out should the cost is high. Now that the dust has settled do your best to get on you own so that you can have your wonderful kitty with you. I know that everything will turn out ok. I know that you were upset over your beloved pet been there done that myself. Take it from an old gal that used to let her emotions rule her common sense don't let your anger rule your head. Always step back and cool off before jumping into the fire. Now be sure and keep us updated on Kimbers health.
I agree with everything tookey said. Good luck and keep us updated on Kimbers health. I hope you get good news when you go to the vet.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:40 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
So I told my mom that I'd contribute what I have to the cost.
Atta girl. Good luck at the vet tomorrow; we're all pulling for you, your mom, and Kimber

Old 06-24-2010, 02:01 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
Sending positive thoughts and prayers that Kimber's vet visit goes well!

Old 06-24-2010, 03:57 PM

387 posts, read 2,131,222 times
Good luck tomorrow!! Keep us posted.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:54 PM

30 posts, read 152,942 times
Default Are we sisters?

From what you have said so far our mothers could be one in the same. Here's the thing. If the cat is HER'S and she is neglecting it then you should find it a new home, there are no kill shelters all over if you take the time to research them. If the cat is YOURS and you just assumed that she would foot the bill forever then it is your responsibility to do what you need to to keep your pet healthy and happy. Pet's are wonderful friends and amazing family members but they are also a lot of responsibility and take a lot of money to care for. trust me when I say I understand the rage that you feel toward your mother but ask yourself this, should an innocent animal suffer because you and your mother want to push the buck back and forth? I understand the no money issue but if you really care about this animal you will figure something out even if it means staying with your dad for a little longer. My thoughts are with you and I sincerely hope things work out for your poor kitty.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:38 PM

677 posts, read 1,620,627 times
Thanks for the kind words. I'll keep you guys posted on how things go tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyprincess View Post
From what you have said so far our mothers could be one in the same. Here's the thing. If the cat is HER'S and she is neglecting it then you should find it a new home, there are no kill shelters all over if you take the time to research them. If the cat is YOURS and you just assumed that she would foot the bill forever then it is your responsibility to do what you need to to keep your pet healthy and happy. Pet's are wonderful friends and amazing family members but they are also a lot of responsibility and take a lot of money to care for. trust me when I say I understand the rage that you feel toward your mother but ask yourself this, should an innocent animal suffer because you and your mother want to push the buck back and forth? I understand the no money issue but if you really care about this animal you will figure something out even if it means staying with your dad for a little longer. My thoughts are with you and I sincerely hope things work out for your poor kitty.
Your mother might also be a narcissist or have another mental disorder. You may want to do some research on it if it's bothering you. I always thought that I was in the one in the wrong and it wasn't until I started questioning things that I saw her for what she was. If you want to talk about any of this feel free to direct message me.

Yeah, that's the thing that bothered me about it. She always refers to Kimber as my cat, even though she lives with my mom. I'm trying to find my own place because I can tell that my mom doesn't really want to take care of her. But she doesn't neglect Kimber by any means, just complains to me about her. But she does that with everything. It was just really confusing because she bought Kimber when I was in middle school, so I just assumed that she would want to keep her. She mentioned bringing Kimber to live with me but my dad is allergic so I don't really have any options. I was concerned that this was her way to 'get back at me' for not having the money to move out sooner or something.

I don't think that I'm making Kimber suffer when I'm applying for jobs every day so that I can afford my own place and working all the extra hours I can at my current job to make our situations better. Just because I posted an emotionally heavy situation doesn't mean that I'm just going to complain and not do anything about it lol I will not take her to a shelter. And I do understand that pets take a lot of responsibility. I'm not a child. But my mother caught me completely off guard with this. I thought that the person Kimber lives with would be responsible for caring for her, and I haven't lived there in years. She never communicated it to me that she needed help paying for something as simple as a routine vet visit until today, which I found to be incredibly irresponsible.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:55 PM

827 posts, read 3,094,899 times
Any update on Kimber? I believe you had a vet appointment today. I hope all went well and you got good news. Please keep us updated.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:56 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,412 times
I have been checking on and off and so far no update on Kimber? I am also wondering how the vet visit went I hope everything is ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats