Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:05 AM

677 posts, read 1,614,559 times

Advertisements

Sorry guys - turns out we can't in until Monday. It was wishful thinking on my mom's part that we'd be able to get her in yesterday; she hadn't called the vet before she told me that. So Monday at 5:00pm.

I stopped over there today and Kimber seemed very sleepy and out of it, but my mom said that she started eating again, so that's good. I'll keep you posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 09:28 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,496,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
Sorry guys - turns out we can't in until Monday. It was wishful thinking on my mom's part that we'd be able to get her in yesterday; she hadn't called the vet before she told me that. So Monday at 5:00pm.

I stopped over there today and Kimber seemed very sleepy and out of it, but my mom said that she started eating again, so that's good. I'll keep you posted.
Good to hear from you. I was worried something terrible had happened. I was wondering if perhaps Kimber got into some plant material house plants or something outside. Some plants are toxic to animals. The one that comes to mind is the Peace Lily. My pug ate a leaf off one once and was acting very lethargic and breathing funny I knew something was wrong and rushed him to the vet only to find out that something to do with the liver count was way too high indicating that he had eaten something. The vet asked me if he had eaten any plant material and the only thing I could think of was the peace lily and that was just a guess turns out this type of plant is very dangerous. Sorry about the long post. If your mom has houseplants the kitty may have chewed on one. Just a guess though. Please do keep us posted.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:06 PM

5,161 posts, read 11,397,315 times
I hope it turns out to be nothing serious. One of my boys also vomits if I give him too much food (and it doesn't look like all that much to me) and he eats it to fast. He has always been doing this and is now 9 years old and healthy otherwise. How many meals does Kimber get a day? She might trying to feed more, but smaller meals. I hope it turns out to be nothing serious... paws and fingers crossed for you.

forum rules, please read them

Old 06-26-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I hope it turns out to be nothing serious. One of my boys also vomits if I give him too much food (and it doesn't look like all that much to me) and he eats it to fast. He has always been doing this and is now 9 years old and healthy otherwise. How many meals does Kimber get a day? She might trying to feed more, but smaller meals. I hope it turns out to be nothing serious... paws and fingers crossed for you.
Well my mom typically keeps Kimber's food out the whole day and refills it when it's empty, so I'm really thinking/hoping that that's the problem.

My biggest worry is that it's as tookey suggested, that Kimber got into something bad and ate it. I really hope not...I cannot find an apartment soon enough, I can't wait to get my kitty into a nice, clean, hazard-free environment! It's not that my mom's house is dangerous, but there's lots of 'stuff' there and Kimber is a very curious cat...who knows what she might have gotten into. Blah...I feel so bad.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:58 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,550,798 times
Hang in there, and know we're all sending good vibes and prayers to you and Kimber...that all goes well at the vet on Monday AND that you'll be able to get into an apartment where the two of you can live happily together!

Old 06-26-2010, 03:46 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,075,985 times
My 15-year-old cat also throws it back up if I feed him too much. When he was young, he could get away with bolting mass quantities of food, but for the last four or five years, I've had to be careful about feeding him too much, and as katzenfreund stated, it doesn't look like much. Smaller quantities, more often.

mchelle, the point is that Kimber might well have the same problem.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:52 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,496,569 times
Yes I second all the good vibes, hang tight this will be ok I just know it, as other posters have stated perhaps it is too much food. I know more about doggies than kitties although I have had both over the yrs. and I know the little buggers will get into anything. I also know in my heart that you are trying to do everything you can to relocate you and Kimber. It will all work out.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:31 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,550,798 times
My cats also have a tendency to overeat if food is left out for them, so now they have designated feeding times...not much you can do while Kimber's still at your mom's, but once you get your new apartment, I recommend feeding her canned food a couple of times a day instead of leaving dry for her to "graze" on...most cats like the wet food better anyway, so hopefully that will make up for her not having food out all the time...just be sure to make the transition slowly (add a bit of canned to the dry at first, gradually decreasing the amount of dry and increasing the amount of wet) so her tummy doesn't get upset. If you can get her to start eating a raw diet, that's even better for her, but some cats like it and some don't...mine liked it for a while then started boycotting it so they get canned Wellness now. There are some excellent threads on here about diet, and I really encourage you to check them out...very informative!!!

Old 06-26-2010, 10:00 PM

387 posts, read 2,125,309 times
Thinking of Kimber... and you! Please keep us posted!

Old 06-28-2010, 07:03 PM

Thank you all so much for the kind wishes. The vet thinks that Kimber has a thyroid problem. They performed some tests today and we'll get the results tomorrow. The treatment would either be surgery or medication.

On the bright side, she LOVES canned food and has been eating pretty well. The weight loss was actually a good thing. She was 13 pounds the last time she saw the vet and now she's 9. He said that that's the perfect weight for her.

I'll keep you guys posted when I hear back from the vet tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats