U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-24-2010, 02:38 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,600,623 times
Smile The Benefits of coconut Oil for Kitties

I've said it more than a few times and on more than a few threads, but I wanted to start a whole new thread for people who might not know about how great coconut oil is for cats...!

When I rescued a tiny, itchy kitty a couple of months ago, this is what I used to treat his condition, and it worked so quickly I was astounded! Being that he was so small, I opted to try it out instead of taking him to a vet where he would be given chemical medication...I knew his little immune system needed time to kick in and chemicals would be a step in the wrong direction.

Here's a link to a site that goes into all the different things it can do, both as a treatment and as a natural preventative for conditions ranging from digestive issues to skin irritation and mites/fleas. Make sure you get virgin, unrefined oil, it's content of essential fatty acids is much higher and it's a lot more effective in general...enjoy!

Treating Cat Skin Conditions with Coconut Oil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-24-2010, 02:54 PM

24,999 posts, read 7,023,145 times
I got some Organic Extra Virgin for me, now I will be giving a little to the cats. Remember it is solid until about 78 degrees then it will melt. It's not expensive either.
Thanks luvmycat!!

Unread 06-24-2010, 03:20 PM

2,457 posts, read 2,414,796 times
Thank you!!

Unread 06-24-2010, 03:45 PM

No problem! I hope it'll help some people out there, especially people who have been spending crazy amounts of $ on stuff that hasn't worked...!

Unread 06-25-2010, 09:05 AM

624 posts, read 691,087 times
I read the article, but do you put it on your cat, in your cat or both? Just wondering what works best. Brady itches all over, so I am thinking in him might help him, but just wanted to make sure.
Thanks for the great tip!

Unread 06-25-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks91 View Post
I read the article, but do you put it on your cat, in your cat or both? Just wondering what works best. Brady itches all over, so I am thinking in him might help him, but just wanted to make sure.
Thanks for the great tip!
It can be used topically or orally...the oral method is more for helping digestion and hairball issues, but it will also help a little bit with skin and coat in a preventative sense...topical is probably best if you're only addressing the itchy factor. What I did was rub it all over and into the skin of kitty after giving him a gentle oatmeal bath (I bathed him first because I rescued him from outside & thought maybe there was dust and dirt that could be contributing to his itchiness that needed to be washed off, but if your cat is indoors only you could skip the bath thing!) Good luck, and I hope this treatment will provide as much relief for Brady as it did for Felix!

Unread 06-25-2010, 06:13 PM

8,205 posts, read 10,107,726 times
Beauty secret: If you rub coconut oil on your nails every night they will be lustrous and NEVER break. (I dated a hand model years ago. It was all she did for her hands and nails).

Unread 06-25-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Beauty secret: If you rub coconut oil on your nails every night they will be lustrous and NEVER break. (I dated a hand model years ago. It was all she did for her hands and nails).
It's excellent for skin, nails and hair...I actually make organic bath & beauty products and I use it in virtually everything...great stuff and it smells wonderful too!

Unread 06-25-2010, 11:28 PM

672 posts, read 3,944,369 times
Wonderful. My cat doesn't have any skin issues, but I'll try this on myself now for stronger nails and luscioushair. LOL

Unread 06-26-2010, 04:04 AM

972 posts, read 1,053,329 times
Can I use it on my Tuxedo cat that licks excessively? She is turning her fur in spots from black to brown as a result of licking & causing porphyrin stains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats