Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2010, 07:01 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,372,901 times

Advertisements

My cat frequently coughs up fur balls that look like stools. They are definitely fur balls (no odor). I feed him 1 small can of food daily and he always has a bowl of Royal Canin Intense Hairball dry food available. He is brushed regularly as he is a long haired orange boy. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 08:12 AM

11,187 posts, read 19,346,707 times
First, has he been to the vet for a check up recently?

In addition to the daily grooming, add a little water to his canned food meals, to get more water into him.

Encourage daily exercise with a routine of interactive games at the same time every day.

Dose with a hair ball remedy every 3-4 days. Dose on an empty stomach an hour before a meal. This means you must pick up the food on hair ball remedy mornings.

Hairball remedy should be given on an empty stomach at least an hour before food for a couple of reasons. It's nature of working is to glom onto the hair in the stomach and digestive tract and help it pass through the other way (or in the case of one of my cats help it come up)

Because of the way hairball remedy gloms onto anything in the stomach it can interfere with nutrient absorption, so always wait an hour before feeding.

You might also want to think about trying a higher quality kibble, or going to an all canned food diet.

I use three different kinds of hairball remedy, in rotation. Tomlyn brand laxatone, Cat Lax, and Petromalt.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:37 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,245,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
My cat frequently coughs up fur balls that look like stools. They are definitely fur balls (no odor). I feed him 1 small can of food daily and he always has a bowl of Royal Canin Intense Hairball dry food available. He is brushed regularly as he is a long haired orange boy. Any other suggestions?
You can buy a tube of goop that you put on your finger (or the cat's paw) and they lick it off. I think those are the three that Catsmom is referring to - it is easy to use and the cat thinks it's a treat!

Old 07-04-2010, 07:59 PM

4,928 posts, read 10,596,367 times
Laxatone.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,657,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
You can buy a tube of goop that you put on your finger (or the cat's paw) and they lick it off. I think those are the three that Catsmom is referring to - it is easy to use and the cat thinks it's a treat!
Unless you're talking the Unipuker, whose response to Petromalt was to fling it off his paw and directly into the wall within seconds of application. The only way we could even get about a quarter of an application in him was to squirt the goo between his toes because he couldn't fling it as easily then, and he caught on to that after a few applications and wouldn't let us mess with his paws like that anymore.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:37 PM

151 posts, read 324,908 times
Since going to all canned food for the last 10 days or 2 weeks - the vomiting has slowed up in my hairball-hacker. She was good for several balls - a few tines a week. Cannot get near her with any kind of hairball remedy & we used the intense hairball formula of many different brands for many years.
Now, we have had only 1 episode in 2 weeks (2 small balls & only in 1 place versus ALL over the house) & she seems happier, healthier & more playful. Side note - the litter box has maybe 1 poop per day ( I have 2 cats!) and about 8 clumps of pee- they are definitely getting enough water now!

Old 07-06-2010, 07:17 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,984,496 times
I approach my scaredy cat irritable female FROM THE BACK when she isn't looking. I smear the laxatone on her paw and she can't fling it cause its smeared. She licks the stuff off her paw with no problem.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:24 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,195,759 times
My cat has hairball problems and hates to take medication of any kind, a tough combination. A procedure that works for us is this; when using a commercial remedy that comes in a tube, I turn her on her back and place her gently but firmly between my knees. Holding her head steady, the product is then pressed directly from the tube onto her above the upper lip just under her nose. The cat will then lick the area clean, taking in the medication. Does take a steady hand and a little practice at first though. If you miss and get it on her cheek, too high on the nose, or lower lip, will have a bit of a mess. Still beats trying to put the stuff on a paw, that one usually means it ends up on the couch, carpet, or wall. She got wise to that one years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats