Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:30 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,119,040 times

Advertisements

Tables, yes; counters, no. I never bothered enforcing the table, since I generally don't eat there anyway (and give it a good wipe down when people come over for dinner). The counters are off limits, and he definitely understands "Get down!", but I know he gets up there while I'm not home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,313 times
Default I do

It's kind of a special treat for him. I kind of have to because the dog will eat his food if I don't, so it's kept there. My little guy loves to watch me do dishes cook etc... he knows to stay away.. It's so hard to say no, he gets such joy from it, as do I.The sweeteest cat I've ever had. He cries when I leave, and when he hears me come home, so many adorable things.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:39 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,082 times
My cats rule the house...on counters, on tables, on fireplace mantles, on top of modems and routers. I just wipe things down before using. I have an aquarium on an area that connects to my counters, and the cats love to watch the aquarium, so once they are there, it's an easy passage for them to the rest....

I can't keep things on surfaces, because the cats will knock them down...or eat them. They have licked butter, cleaned out pans, nibbled cakes, napped on the top of the fridge, knocked loaves of bread down on the floor so the dog can eat them, and so on.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:36 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Even when we had cats when we were young, they were never allowed on the counters or tables. It's unsanitary.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:39 AM

74 posts, read 170,412 times
Do I allow my cat on the counters, no. Does she go up there anyway, yes.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:45 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,008,518 times
my ones likes top of the dish washer, honestly I don't care that much where are they, but mostly my cats are sitting on their own tables mostly. I have two tables from my daughter what she used when she was a toddler so I gave that to cats. My big ones mostly enjoy solder near the window. High and warm. And the little two are on the toddler tables also near the window but in the living room.
All 4 knows very well where they allowed and where not.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:56 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,356,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
My cats rule the house...on counters, on tables, on fireplace mantles, on top of modems and routers. I just wipe things down before using. I have an aquarium on an area that connects to my counters, and the cats love to watch the aquarium, so once they are there, it's an easy passage for them to the rest....

I can't keep things on surfaces, because the cats will knock them down...or eat them. They have licked butter, cleaned out pans, nibbled cakes, napped on the top of the fridge, knocked loaves of bread down on the floor so the dog can eat them, and so on.
I could have wrote this post almost word for word. My cats have always been allowed to go pretty much where ever they want (with a couple of exceptions) because it's their home too. As far as the kitchen counter is concerned, it takes very little time to wipe it clean so it's not a big deal to me. But I can understand some folks having a problem with it.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:04 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,008,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I could have wrote this post almost word for word. My cats have always been allowed to go pretty much where ever they want (with a couple of exceptions) because it's their home too. As far as the kitchen counter is concerned, it takes very little time to wipe it clean so it's not a big deal to me. But I can understand some folks having a problem with it.
Same here. But my cats does not like my kitchen I think because of too much light. As I hear there are colors cats does not like. But I am not sure if that is true. Only one place I ask them not to mess that is my sofa. It is sort of a material they can use as scratch post so they know very well I don't like it

Old 10-28-2014, 03:22 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,564,071 times
That's a big NO NO for my Jozee. I don't know what she does while we are gone but I have never seen her on the countertops or tables

Old 10-28-2014, 04:02 PM

20,360 posts, read 14,632,606 times
I don't mind Nimbus going anywhere he wants, except when I am actually cooking, then I insist he stay off the counter. He understands "DOWN" and more or less listens, although if he smells cheese on a counter, I might have to physically lift him down a few times before he realizes he's just NOT going to be allowed to get it.

The main thing isn't sanitation (as I always put foods on plates or cutting boards, never on the counter itself, and I wipe down with Clorox wipes before food prep anyhow)...the issue is more about not wanting him sampling my dinner, and cat safety around the gas stove.

One time I put a bag of dinner rolls on top of the microwave though and he got them and dragged them to his "lair" (the basement) where he demolished them. He doesn't like to eat bread, but apparently it's really fun to drag about and tear into bits...or it offends him. Something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats