U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 05:14 AM

2,008 posts, read 5,231,573 times

Advertisements

I've seen lots of pictures of cats lately and it seems like a lot of them are either sitting on the table or on the counter. I finally got Willow to not jump on the countertop and table. I just never liked it when my friend's cat would be up on the counter, it seemed strange and slightly unsanitary. Who lets their cats go wherever they please? I know when I'm not home, he's probably powerlounging on the kitchen table, but he doesn't do it when I"m there, so I'm good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 05:22 AM

12,237 posts, read 1,698,589 times
I agree, Sandycat...I don't like my two on the table or counters. I'm single and rarely eat at my table, but I still don't like it. But I rarely see them even attempt it when I'm home. I did come home and catch my girl lounging on the dining room table once...

Old 07-10-2010, 05:54 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,746,895 times
It has been a constant battle with my cats. Now it's just the youngest that still jumps up occasionally, but eventually he will learn the way our others did. He won't do it in front of me anymore. I do spend a lot of time cleaning the countertops "just in case".

Old 07-10-2010, 07:13 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,861,752 times
None of mine are allowed on counter tops or tables. I know where those feet have been! It's not to say, they,once in a great while, will not sneak a try. I hear them jump down as I enter the room...but at least, they know they are in the wrong.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:23 AM

6,185 posts, read 12,620,986 times
I don't like my cats on the kitchen counters more for safety reasons than hygienic ones. Since I know they get up there when I'm not looking I simply wipe the counters down with a bleach solution before I do any food prep.

They know, of course, that they are not "supposed" to be up there. So for the most part they don't, when I am home. I have no illusions though, I know they explore when I am not home, so I make sure there are no knives, forks, can tops, or anything else that could hurt them up there, including breakables that can be pushed off the counter onto the floor.

I have one kitty who used to take great delight in teasing me with the counter business. She would wait until I was settled in the chair with my CRF kitty, to give sub q fluids. She knew, once that started I wouldn't be able to do a thing about her explorations, and she would get up there and slowly walk from one end of the kitchen counters to the other, lingering over the stove, and giving me these defiant smug looks as she went.

Funny girl.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:38 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,593,062 times
Fortunately, my cat doesn't like the kitchen counters. She does, however, love the dining room table. I have rechanneled her love of being in a raised position to a pillow on one of the dining table chairs and the top of the dryer.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:53 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,574,474 times
My counters are so littered with kitchen junk- bijou house in a quaint neighborhood with minimal counter space- that if there's any room I'm even amazed. I don't really have a table out in the open. I have a fold up table I pull out when I want to use it. I'll unfold it, have Hackney jump on it and then shoo him off.

But where I have a problem is Hackney jumping in or around the kitchen sink all the time. The bathroom sink is Ami and Hackney's favorite. Jensen doesn't get up on stuff in the kitchen. But all three love the dryer and clean laundry piles.

So mom and I keep a can of wipes or a bottle of spray cleaner handy to mop down anything we think the cats have been on.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:54 AM

3,730 posts, read 5,278,076 times
You mean I actually have a choice? Not with my cat. A stern raised voice and hand claps only get her down briefly, if she chooses to do so, she is right back up. Have never been able to bring myself to use the squirt gun method, should have done it years ago, but now it is too late, and she is old. The only time she makes me really uneasy is when she gets near the stove when something is cooking, burn possibility plus the hygiene situation. Spoiled cat indeed, but not much I can do about it now.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:54 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,893,253 times
Default That's a no no!

Getting on the counters and tables here is a no no! The girls learned to stay off them.... at least when we're around. The new kitten Rusty is getting the idea now. Another place they're not allowed is on the expensive sofa (bed). They're free to go anywhere else in the house.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:14 AM

22 posts, read 48,235 times
No big deal where they go, I just sanitize before food prep like I did before I had cats. Cats are by far cleaner than most people. I feel I need to shower and sanitize my entire body after a visit to Walmart! I always caught some bug after being at Walmart and I haven't caught a thing from my cats being on my counters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats