U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,331 times

Advertisements

My 17 y.o. male cat has been doing this howling for the past couple of years and a friend of mine who had 5 cats said they all do it when they get old. His last visit to the vet confirmed that "he is healthy like young cat" and his blood work was fine. He does it anywhere in the house but more around the litter box - I thought it might be a territorial thing? He will stop for a few seconds if I shush him and also if he gets some love and attention. He is not deaf or blind but sometimes I wish I was at 3 a.m. when he starts his howling. He has a 14 y.o. female companion named Lilly but she doesn't do it as yet. After reading all the posts on this and other sites I'm putting it down to senility or dementia. I just hope he sticks around for a few more years because we love him so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 04:50 PM

479 posts, read 902,190 times
Or oldest has done it every so often since he was little. Pretty much random when he will do it, but usually he is sitting by one of the doors, and it seems like a lonely 'let me out please' type of thing. He only does it once or twice, and moves on. It is not a howl in the sense that dogs do it. but is hard to explain.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:24 PM

8,844 posts, read 12,557,840 times
I have a howler, too. He howls when his "friend" is outside on the porch waiting for me to put out a bowl of food. This "friend" is the cat that he lived with when he was an outside cat. He chose to come in, she won't come in, and actually belongs to the manager where I live. I put out a bowl of dry cat food for her every morning, and she comes by and snacks on it during the day.

The other time that he howls is when I'm outside, and he can hear me, but doesn't see me. And boy, can he howl!

Old 01-26-2010, 10:01 PM

43,178 posts, read 47,049,205 times
I really don't know but we have a male cat that wil only dothis if its late and evryone else is sleeping includig the other cats. Its like a howl for some company really as he will stop if the other cat check to see what is what or we do.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:30 AM

17,193 posts, read 20,203,102 times
We have an orange tabby male, too, who howls REALLY loud. We are convinced he has a hearing problem, so can't hear himself. The vet says she doesn't think so since orange cats very rarely have deafness (we know he hears at least a little).
He sleeps all day, then in the middle of the night he like to hop onto our bed and howl loudly in my husband's ear. At this time, he is dmanding attention. We give him a few pats and tell him to shhhh, and he stops. His routine hardly ever deviates from this. Sometimes he comes downstairs in the daytime and just howls away too. This is not the same noise as the growling howl he does at other cats outside.
I sometimes worry that he's in pain, or something is bothering him, but he checks out fine and does not have the issue for most of the day.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:17 PM

8,492 posts, read 3,997,336 times
I have always thought that when one (of four) of my cats do this, it is because they got lost in that nasty hallway and can't figure out where they are.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:26 PM

Mine definitely does NOT have a hearing problem. His eagle ears can hear the refrigerator door open, even if I'm quiet about it! And, of course, the poptop and lid on a cat food can.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:28 PM

2,367 posts, read 3,627,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
Hi,

I was wondering from all you cat lovers out there why they yeowl loudly. Here's some background, we have an orange tabby cat who's 17 years old. We've had him since he was kitten. We also have another tabby cat. He's about 14 years old and we've had him for almost 13 years. We also have a dog. A lab/retriever mix which we have had for about a year and a half. Prior to that we had a very loud and as it turned out dog aggressive beagle for about 2 and a half years. She was killed after being hit by a car.
It's just the orange tabby that yowls excessively. It started out only once in a while and usually in the basement at night. Now it has increased to the point, while usually in the evening/night, early morning hours, he does it upstairs and its very loud at times. The litter box is always clean. They always have food. The dog loves the cats and they seem to like him. When we asked our vet she seem to believe that the orange tabby is losing his mind. He still knows us and is very affectionate as usual He eats and drinks normally and like many cats his age, sleeps most of the day.
If anyone has any ideas as to why this is happening we would really appreciate it. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by The French Maid View Post
I have a 14 year old female cat that started doing it double time after I moved in with my boyfriend (now husband).

She has been doing it for years but lately its every single night! It's only when I am not with her and if I call her name or go see her, she shuts up right away. It happens downstairs while we are in bed sleeping up stairs.

It is a bit disturbing to me. Her yowl is a very throaty, LOUD sound. I am always afraid the neighbors are going to think I am an animal abuser.

I have read that this can be a symptom of kidney or thyroid issues in older cats. I plan on having her checked soon if she continues.
My 13 yr old orange tabby started doing this in 2008 (when she was 12), took her into the vet for her yearly senior blood work and it came back with extremly high T4 level. Started her on tapazole for her thyroid and she quieted down. She started doing it again last month and when her blood work came back this year, found her T4 was elevated again, so vet had us up the dosage a bit.

Not all cats do it though, my other 14 year old cat doesn't yowl at all. Thank goodness!

Old 01-28-2010, 01:17 PM

333 posts, read 586,330 times
My kitty has always howled in the evenings - and usually I would find her with her secret friend in her mouth (stuffed Elmo).
Lately, however, she's been howling more and more. She has CRF and the doctor is telling me that cats with renal failure often develop stomach ulcers which make them "cry" because they are in pain.
I would not overlook the howling...or just chalk it up to old age. Definitely get them checked out at the vet.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 PM

Mine howls when he feels like it. When his friend is outside, when he wants food, because he thinks he's starving at 15lbs, when he wants attention, and any other time he feels like howling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats