Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 12:27 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,604 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be taking my cat to Florida next winter, and then back again in the spring.

I do not like the idea of carrying him all day in his regular carrier. It's a decent size for him, but he's getting old and worry about his bathroom needs--he's pooped in his carrier a couple of times on a 5 hour trip recently.

I'm thinking that I need a cage-type pen, with a plastic floor, and big enough for a kitty litter tray in the corner, a water bottle perhaps, but small enough to fit in a compact hatchback (like a little station wagon--so no two-storey jobs.)

Anybody have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 12:44 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
I used just such an enclosure when I moved with 4 cats. It is about 4 ft in diameter, with canvas flooring/top and sides but also mesh "windows"...(oh it folds up too).

Ordered it from Amazon...maybe 35 bucks or so. Used in the back of my suv. They did GREAT in it...room for each of them to sleep, a water bowl and a small cat box.

Only a peep or two from the oldest one, then the rest of the 5 hr trip, everyone slept! I also used the Feliway spray in the "tent"..which supposedly helps keep them calm.

No problems at all...but certainly is not as safe as in a cat carrier....but better for them in other ways.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
I'm going to be taking my cat to Florida next winter, and then back again in the spring.

I do not like the idea of carrying him all day in his regular carrier. It's a decent size for him, but he's getting old and worry about his bathroom needs--he's pooped in his carrier a couple of times on a 5 hour trip recently.

I'm thinking that I need a cage-type pen, with a plastic floor, and big enough for a kitty litter tray in the corner, a water bottle perhaps, but small enough to fit in a compact hatchback (like a little station wagon--so no two-storey jobs.)

Anybody have any suggestions?

Old 07-02-2012, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the idea of Feliway--have heard of it, but have never used it. I'll look on Amazon for the carrier--not sure softsides would work, but might.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:53 PM

I can see them listed I think, here's one, is it like this:?

36" Pet Carriers Portable Travel Folding Carrier Tote Kennel XXL New: Amazon.ca: Home & Garden

Bigger I'm thinking.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:57 PM

585 posts, read 2,014,864 times
When I moved from California to DC, I had a soft-sided carrier for my old girl and a throw-away litter box for her in the back seat for breaks. She never used the box but it was there anyway if she needed it when we'd stop for gas or a snack. The car was jam packed with all my worldly possessions so there wasn't much space for her to cruise around during breaks. I offered her the opportunity to get out in the grass on her harness but she didn't want to.

She did not eat or drink at all on the road but would devour her meal once we were settled in for the night at the hotel.

And YES to Feliway, I sprayed her carrier and my car a bunch in the weeks leading up to our trip and she seemed to do pretty well despite hating the car.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:10 PM

I kept a small litter box in the car for our 5-hour trips and gave my guy an opportunity to use it during stops. But he never would. I walked him around outside on his harness, but he had no inclination to do anything but slink back into his cage. I'm worried about 8-10 hours a day, even if it is just for two days.

I've been looking at things like this:

General Cage Economy Crate Black Folding Wire Dog Crate | Wayfair

I've seen ones that are even shaped to slope on one side to fit into a car easily, but they get pretty expensive.

This soft-sided one looks decent too:

General Cage It'z A Breeze Too - Soft Sided Crate | Wayfair

This one I just don't get. I know it's meant for exhibiting cats, but I still don't understand how it works:

General Cage It'z A Breeze Too - Cat Exhibition Cage | Wayfair
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats