Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:46 PM

408 posts, read 809,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Thanks, most of you recent posters!! Finally someone realizes a pet is a living creature with needs and feelings that is one's responsibility as opposed to a disposable thing...

1.people have choices, so please think before getting a pet;
2.it is your responsibility, please don't pass the buck unless impossible;
My thoughts exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 03:04 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Remember people, not everyone with a cat went out of their way to adopt it. I have 2 cats right now that ended up with me through no action of my own. I suspect many people who are now cat "owners" can say the same thing.

You can talk all you want about irresponsible people but the truth is that sometimes folks just do their best when faced with a stray or whatever. Then later discover it won't be possible to continue their role as "owner".

The judgement on this thread is unbelievable. I realize there are bad people out there that SHOULD NEVER HAVE PETS but let's get serious. I know it's a forum and people like to vent, sometimes irrationally, but the reality is that pets aren't people. They will never be given the same consideration as a child by the majority of folks out there. If you think none of them should ever own a pet becasue of that just try to come up with a solution to where all the animals will go. You will fail.

Put your energies into helping animals out of a tough spot, not vilifying everyone who doesn't live up to your expectations.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:26 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,061 times
I got my Furbaby from a girl who posted an ad on craigslist. She has adopted him without realizing she was terribly allergic- apparently after she brought him home her reactions just got worse and worse. She was in tears when I took him home with me, and she felt terribly guilty.

Poor girl got hives on her arms just helping me carry his scratching post and litter pan out to my car

I still email her photos of my kitty from time to time, so she knows she did the right thing, and that he's happy and safe...

What kills me about all this was that she had several people respond to her ad with judgmental, vitriolic emails such as the one the OP sent. Poor girl was so upset that she took down and reposted her ad 3 times with more and more explanation of her circumstances each time, to try to make people stop being nasty to her. She said she even wondered if she should just take him to the pound at one point.

She and I (and Monkey!) are all really happy with how things turned out, though.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:32 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Remember people, not everyone with a cat went out of their way to adopt it. I have 2 cats right now that ended up with me through no action of my own. I suspect many people who are now cat "owners" can say the same thing.

You can talk all you want about irresponsible people but the truth is that sometimes folks just do their best when faced with a stray or whatever. Then later discover it won't be possible to continue their role as "owner".

The judgement on this thread is unbelievable. I realize there are bad people out there that SHOULD NEVER HAVE PETS but let's get serious. I know it's a forum and people like to vent, sometimes irrationally, but the reality is that pets aren't people. They will never be given the same consideration as a child by the majority of folks out there. If you think none of them should ever own a pet becasue of that just try to come up with a solution to where all the animals will go. You will fail.

Put your energies into helping animals out of a tough spot, not vilifying everyone who doesn't live up to your expectations.
That is not the circumstance regarding the suibject of this thread. It is this particular situation that is being discussed not a myriad of other possible ones.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:08 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,832,721 times
I can relate to the OP's anger. In my family, pets are family members. We don't toss them out. And children get put in their place. If the cat scratched me, I'd get told to keep my hands of the cat and stop annoying it.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:59 PM

286 posts, read 535,198 times
The person who wrote the ad said the toddler was rough with the kitten...is that ok with you? Sheesh, you were way too hard on whoever took out the ad. I am a cat lover too (I have three) but honestly when one has a baby, the pets take second to the child. That's the way it should be.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:22 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,061 times
I apologize if my last post seemed aggressive or insulting. I was actually railing against other people being aggressive and insulting... But I guess I got carried away myself.

My bad.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:27 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
That is not the circumstance regarding the suibject of this thread. It is this particular situation that is being discussed not a myriad of other possible ones.
Wellllllll..after 11 pages I think a myraid of things have been discussed already so my points are valid.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:37 AM

426 posts, read 1,570,074 times
Hoo boy, I'm not going to read through all the replies, but it sounds like this cat might be happier in a toddler-free home. So this family is wrong for attempting to give the cat a better life? And find a home better suited for her?

Or perhaps they should keep the cat, and it can be scared of the toddler, and miserable, and stressed out, or confined to one room, and miserable?

And heaven forbid a new parent might be too busy taking care of the baby to take photos of the cat. They are obviously horrible people, and going straight to he** for that.

/rant

A little compassion for the humans in the situation, please folks?

Old 07-23-2010, 06:22 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykatt View Post
The person who wrote the ad said the toddler was rough with the kitten...is that ok with you?
But is it OK that the parents aren't teaching their child how to interact with a cat? Yes, even toddlers can be taught to be gentle with a pet. One may think from this ad that the parents are just too lazy to bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats