Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 02:45 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,370,836 times

Advertisements

Wow guys ... I totally snapped.

I'm posting the link below on an add for a black cat in craigslist that I stumbled upon today. Read it, then read my response, then please, for pete's sake, help me understand why I went completely postal on this add's writer. I usually pass without comment. (and if the picture doesn't show up, it's this teeny black kitten perching on the end of a floral patterned cushion, curiously looking up at the camera.) I didn't say half of what I wanted to, but I surprised even myself, with how far I went. I am very angry today!

2 year old Black Cat

Pretty all black 3 year old female cat. She is really sweet and loves to cuddle. We have to get rid of her because our toddler is too rough with her and she scratches her back. free to good home.
This is an older picture of her since we didn't take many more pictures of the her after our daughter was born.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Haven't taken any pictures of her since your child was born? Hope you still remembered to feed the little thing at least.

Wow.. how about you discipline your rough and pushy child, instead of punishing your "sweet and cuddly" cat for retaliating in self defense. No wait, it's easier to hand it off to some stranger to use as bait in a dog fight. Long as you don't know how she ends up, you don't have to feel guilty over ditching her when it became inconvenient for you, right?

I hope you find her a new home as soon as possible. From the sounds of it, anything would be a step up right now.
When this doesn't work, steel yourself for dropping her off at the pound. And keep telling yourself she'll find a nice loving home in no time flat. Yeah. Along with the rest of the millions of loving companions that have been abandoned, that die alone of heartbreak or untreated diseases, long before shelter-deathrow kicks in.

It doesn't matter how committed you are to being a pet owner when it's an easy ride. Only when obstacles find their way into your busy world are your strengths and loyalties truly tested. You have failed the life of this little kitty that put her trust into you without knowing any better.

Please get rid of her as soon as humanly possible. I wouldn't want to see you passing these callous tendencies along to your offspring by any irresponsible influence.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 02:49 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
WOW, that's quite a response.

Though I do understand the sentiment, are you, perchance angry at something else today? I know that I tend to lash out like that when I'm angry over other things.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:56 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
I am siding with the OP on this one.

People who give up their pets, unless they (people) have serious medical reasons which make it impossible to keep them, get no understanding or kind words from me.

I will never applaud, or support, someone who willingly abandons or gives up a pet, no matter what.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:56 PM

*nodding*

I'm very upset that I feel 4 is my limit right now on kitties, and can't go scoop this one up. The only thing that sucks worse than people abandoning their pets, is people that try to justify it.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:03 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Yeah, well, I agree with your frustration in not being able to take in another one. '

But, honestly, from a small blurb, we do not know exactly what the circumstances are in that house, and what they have tried to do to make things work. I know it's hard, but IMO sometimes we really do have to give people the benefit of the doubt in cases like this.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:05 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
At least they did not turn it out. They must care to some amount by looking for a new home instead of having it put down. My wife and I have taken in 12 ferrets thru the years by people who ran out of time or patience for them. It is hard at times not to blow up on people who took in a small life to their family. Too many people think of pets as disposible.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
My God, what a bunch of zealots.

Would you feel better if they simply tossed it out the door to fend for itself?

Old 07-17-2010, 03:13 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
No, I would rather any pet owner, not only this one, would take care of it and not toss it out - out the door, the pound, or to other owner - like an old toy.

I am sorry, but I have literally gone amazing distances to keep my pets. It is not a "oh, well..." that will work for me.

Nobody has to agree, but I hope I am free to express my opinion.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
And when you expressed it on an open forum, you invited others to comment on it. If you only want to hear other opinions that agree with yours, go somewhere else.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:29 PM

I know how you feel, Miaiam. I feel like all is well in my little world, when I come home from work to greet 4 happy kitties, waiting for all their head scratchings, and dinner time, and playtime with mommy. And when I log onto the pets section of craigslist, that happy little bubble I live in just disintegrates, and I end up lashing out the frustration I feel on myself, on everyone else!

It's hard to struggle, trying to do the best you can, and see other people dodging the bullet, or passing the buck, so to speak.

I didn't mean to initiate such a zealous controversy, Drover. In your post, yes, at least they didn't turn the little thing out onto the street. I guess free to a good home is the next best thing when you're working up the ethical foodchain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats