Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 05:19 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Man, I know armchair quarterbacking is easy, but if those were my kids they'd lose one item from their room for every door they didn't put a flier on, never to be returned to them. I'd literally either smash it, burn it or drag their butts to the closest Salvation Army to donate it.

It's not "just a cat," it's a living creature whose very life was dependent upon their care, which they were utterly irresponsible with. You're the parent -- assert your authority and MAKE them do it!

I sincerely wish you all the luck you deserve in finding Rudy.

Believe me, they've already lost quite a bit. NO TV, computer, etc, until they at least help find Rudy. I know they can't just pull him out of a hat, but they can at least try. It really irks me to see them sit there in AC comfort watching cable while poor Rudy is ut there, probably starving by now, perhaps injured, if he's still alive............and they don't care a whit.

i'm keepng all my other fur babies close to me. Those darned kids still leave the garage door open, etc. We used to have an alarm system at our previous home, I didn't realize how much I depended on it until now, there was a keypad in every room, I could tell at a glance if a door or window was open and in which zone, and instant alert whenever someone opened a door or window. Even though this is just rental property, we may install an alarm system at our expense and leave for the owner if we decide not to renew the lease. Its worth keeping control over our environment, but we shouldn't need all those bells & whistles to keep the kids from leaving doors and windows open, at their age, 12 & 13, they're not babies, they need to stop acting like one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 05:58 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
They'd lose everything until they were staring at 4 white walls and a desk to do homework if they pulled that garbage with me. But like I said, quarterbacking from here is easy.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:33 PM

Finally dh went out to post flyers, took both kids, ds walked so slow they told him to come home, he was slowing them down. He doesn't walk so much as saunters, its his way of controling situations. When he came home he was to help me with housework, instead he just lay on the couch staring at TV (off air).

Then dh came home with dd for a much needed break (its about 100 degrees here), then dd didn't want to go back out because she wanted to finish watching a TV show!

That tears it! I'm paying for one of those postcard services, we can get 500 postcards sent out for about $400, that comes from their back-to-school fund. They do need some clothes, but about 2 outfits is all they will get, not like past years, where they were outfitted from head to toe (while I wore washed out old rags). They aren't naked, as long as they have something that fits, is in reasonable condition, appropriate for the weather and clean, that's all I'm required to do. That poor cat is probably dead by now, anyways, but they couldn't get off their tushes to even help, all last week I literally begged them to help, they'd do a little, then continue sitting on their tushes.

Like I said, I can't walk, having some medical problems, or I'd be door-to-door myself. Perhaps, if we just knew of a group, such as a church, scouts, etc, to help distribute flyers?Ok, I'm not too proud to beg, tomorrow I will call the churshes nearest here and ask if they have any volunteers willing to walk the neighborhoods passing out flyers.

Also, will call every vet in the area and send out flyers.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:23 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times
We paid for a large front page ad in a flyer that was mailed to our local area - we got our boy back after over 3 months. It was worth every penny.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:41 PM

we've made progress! After walking the area with flyers, there was a definite sighting. some neighbors saw him last Friday, heading towards a vacant field/wooded area.

so, tonight we bought some canned tuna and mackerel (very pungent), then went to the area and set out plates along the way. Then, dh and I just sat there in the car, engine off, windows rolled down, talking. We hoped, but didn't expect, to find him tonight.

This is a technique trappers us. First, establish a scent to attract him to an area. He must be hungry by now, but leary. The hunger will overcome his fear. Check the plates, if eaten, you know at least something has gotten it. Repeat the process 1-2 more times, then put a humane trap nearby but do NOT put the food inside at first. Let him get used to the cage in his environment. then put the food inside the trap, by then he will be used to going to the food. Do NOT put a whole lot of food, you want the scent, but keep him hungry, to keep coming back. Sometimes just put the oil, and a few pieces of food, just for the scent.

Also, I'm dipping into our emergency funds and springing for the flyers to be mailed, we can get 250 mailed for $188, I wish we could do more, but its a start. This is a very dense area, so the flyers go fast. 1000 flyers cost $500, beyond our budget right now.

We still are relying on the sense of scent to bring him home. He's young, healthy, an outdoor cat, has 1000's of years of DNA probably kicking in right now telling him how to survive.

Kinds of like one of our past cats, Mike. Mike was either lost or dumped near an RV park in Nevada. He managed to find a gas station and hung around begging for food, but they also saw him chasing down lizards and chipmunks. Finally the humane society trapped him, fixed him up, and brought him to a pet give-away I just happened to pass by. Most people come home from Las Vegas with a funky souvenier, I came home with another cat! We bought a cage, etc, and drove him home. We had him 10 years, finally had him PTS last October, he had multiple problems, including thyroid, diabetes, possible cancer, couldn't eat, barely walk, let the "king of the Jungle" go in peace and dignity.

All my cats have been rescue stories of one sort or another. I think Rudy will make it!

Old 08-01-2010, 11:05 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
1000 flyers cost $500, beyond our budget right now.

I ordered 2500 full color two sided flyers from Gotprint.com for $218. If you get flyers printed locally, it's going cost more $$. I looked into all types of printing options when I took over the mailing list for my friend's event, and they had the best rates.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:09 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
YAY for progress! Cats are resourceful creatures. Not only am I sure he's out there, but I'm sure he'll be home in no time!

Old 08-02-2010, 12:53 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
Middle-schoolers, no matter how bratty they can be (I was one so I know this) are feeling the first pangs of independent adulthood. Part of that involves not letting on true feelings at all costs. Their priorities are skewed in favor of defying authority over letting on that they - gawd forbid - have anything in common with those horrible oppressive creatures called parents. The same kid who sneers "get over it" is projecting that sentiment onto herself, b/c it's "like, SO immature" to be upset over a missing cat. But deep down she yearns for the purring cuddle buddy. Let's not forget also that there's a whole new living situation to get accustomed to, with school starting in a matter of weeks. That's HUGE in a tween's life.
Seems the "St Francis" kid who helped lure Marshmallow back into the fold and was so good with and about Mike is out of the picture, yes? If he's now living on his own or off to college, if nothing else let that be consolation where the "difficult" younger sibs are concerned. Within a decade they're likely to be on their own too.
I think it's a very big deal that a sighting of the MIA cat has been made in the vicinity. Since some days have passed, that means he's staying close to home. I'd put off springing for pricey print jobs given this development. From all indications the word's been put out a lot already.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:22 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,584,724 times
I'm so glad he's been sighted! At least now you know he's alive and close-by...hang in there and don't lose hope!!!

Old 08-02-2010, 06:58 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
keeping my fingers and toes crossed that he will be home with you very soon. I am glad to hear he has been seen, that is good news!

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats