Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 06:53 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I also agree it's more about the individual dog, as dogs from any breed can be good or bad with cats. As you're looking to adopt an older dog, it should be fairly easy to assess their behavior... most rescue organizations will allow a "test run," where you can watch them (safely) interact with resident kitties. Although as a former pet-sitter, I have noticed some breeds are generally known to be good with cats - one that comes to mind is Golden Retriever, which seems to be a common choice for multi-pet households. They are usually very docile and respectful of their feline siblings, and I've only encountered one Golden with aggression problems in my years of sitting.

I got my mixed-breed dog as a puppy, so I was a little nervous about this issue! But my (then 2) cats quickly showed him who was boss, and he's respected them as Alphas ever since. I later took in a stray kitten, with whom he immediately developed a close bond. Btw, I'm not sure of my dog's breed, but he is definitely part herding dog... and that behavior does show itself, when a human enters the room & he tries to herd all cats to safety. It annoyed and slightly scared them at first, but now they just ignore him and stay put. So you might want to avoid herding breeds, although it's rare they'd want to hurt small animals (they only want to protect). My dog LOVES his kitties!
An "Awwwwwwwww" moment for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 07:10 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
An "Awwwwwwwww" moment for sure!
Thanks! That's the stray kitty I mentioned (Bindi), and the two of them are now best buddies... I usually wake up to BOTH of them cuddling with me in bed.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:16 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
My husband and I want to adopt an adult dog from a rescue group or shelter. We have two resident cats, one is 2, the other 7. The 7-year-old is very neurotic. We definitely don't want a puppy, but instead want to get a 2-4 year old dog.

Any tips on good breeds? I've read a lot about what breeds not to get--i.e. prey driven breeds.

We're looking for a dog with a lower energy level overall. A dog that doesn't need a ton of exercise, and will be satisfied with walking. And one that will get along well with the cats. Playful dogs would be a plus. Size doesn't matter.
PLEASE don't choose based on breed!!!! And don't go to a shelter - find a rescue. Rescues have the dogs in foster home. They have much more time to spend with the dog and are much more in tune with it's temperament than a shelter, which usually is understaffed and just doesn't have the time a rescue does. I love shelters, don't get me wrong, but if you've got small breed dogs, kids or cats I think you're safer with a rescue.

In every single breed of dog, there are a majority of dogs that follow their breed standard when it comes to behavior. But there are always dogs that are nothing like their breed standard and can be the exact opposite. Choose based on the dog, not it's breed or looks.

That said, find a good non-breed specific rescue first. Then let them help you find a dog. You can decide what size you want, what activity level you think is best in your family, what time and money you can devote to grooming, etc. From there, the rescue can place the right dog in your home.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:31 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
PLEASE don't choose based on breed!!!! And don't go to a shelter - find a rescue. Rescues have the dogs in foster home. They have much more time to spend with the dog and are much more in tune with it's temperament than a shelter, which usually is understaffed and just doesn't have the time a rescue does. I love shelters, don't get me wrong, but if you've got small breed dogs, kids or cats I think you're safer with a rescue.

In every single breed of dog, there are a majority of dogs that follow their breed standard when it comes to behavior. But there are always dogs that are nothing like their breed standard and can be the exact opposite. Choose based on the dog, not it's breed or looks.

That said, find a good non-breed specific rescue first. Then let them help you find a dog. You can decide what size you want, what activity level you think is best in your family, what time and money you can devote to grooming, etc. From there, the rescue can place the right dog in your home.
I tried to rep you again but I have to spread it around first. Exellent point about the diff between shelters and rescues

Old 07-27-2010, 09:33 AM

408 posts, read 809,202 times
Our German Shepherd has never bothered our cats. We got her when she was 4 yrs. old and had never been around cats before, still doesn't interest her. She is very low key, you would think that her nose would get her in trouble with the cats but nope they don't mind her one bit. Our Doberman on the other hand---drives our cats NUTS, they can't stand her at all. They see her coming, they are gone. But I do agree checking out some local shelters or (petfinder.com) has criteria you can fill in and show you all local shelters/available pets (if they do well with cats/kids/other dogs, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats