Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 07:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I would not do it, ever. There are some things where cost cutting just shouldn't be done.
Your position is illogical and/or irrational if it's the exact same product simply packaged differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 07:24 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Your position is illogical and/or irrational if it's the exact same product simply packaged differently.
I disagree.

It is not illogical or irrational to believe that: some (most) people will not know the weight of their cats, most people DON'T know the weight of their cats and do not guess correctly, many people will not measure correctly, or to think how unsafe it is to buy "kits" from some random person on the internet out to make an easy buck who has no interest in the health of your cat.

If I had to use flea prevention products I would not to take those kinds of chances with my cats' health, and I share my opinion so other people can think twice before doing so.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:43 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,645,534 times
The kit I purchased on ebay, which was 3+ years ago, did not contain any Frontline. It only had 2 small glass vials in which to store any remaining Frontline Plus once a packet was opened. I kept my filled vial in the fridge. Also the kit contained 2 needle-less syringes, 1cc size, with an instruction card. The instructions stated the proper dosages for dogs (varies by weight) and then the dosage for cats (.5 cc). I already had Frontline Plus from my dog, who had passed away.

At the time I checked with my vet and they told me the dosage for cats was correct. I actually give my cat a bit less (more like .4 cc), and every 3 months instead of every month. She's an indoor-only cat, the only animal in my home, and I am the only human. I take my shoes off outside and her exposure to fleas is minimized.

The ingredients are the same for both dogs and cats. Actually the cat formula of Frontline Plus has a slightly higher dose of one of the ingredients, so in essence one is putting even more insecticide on their feline when using the cat version of Frontline Plus.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:22 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,142 times
I was a volunteer at a monthly spay/neuter clinic for feral cats and we would do 70 to 100 cats in one day. We treated all of them with Frontline Plus and the packages were the largest dog size 4.1ml. We'd open a dozen or so tubes and start drawing up 0.5ml syringes for each cat so one tube would treat 8 cats.

I hadn't known one could do this until the vet showed us. Ever since then this is how I treat my own dogs and cats and I generally buy the product from Drs. Foster & Smith.

Use a syringe with needle to poke a tiny hole in the back foil of the tube just above the level of the liquid, draw up the proper amount for your pet based on weight, REMOVE the needle from the syringe and apply the liquid to the pet. Seal the back of the tube with tape. Store upright. Needle and syringe should be rinsed when done by drawing up water through the needle and filling the syringe several time so that no residual meds gum it up. It can then be reused for this purpose again, but never to administer any injection.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:39 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Frankly, I will never use Frontline, or any of those topical medications ever again. I put those drops on my cats, (not the one for large dogs, the one for cats), and one of them started having a bad reaction, complete with severe drooling. Never. Again.

I use FleaBusters now...all natural, nematodes, NO chemicals.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I disagree.

It is not illogical or irrational to believe that: some (most) people will not know the weight of their cats, most people DON'T know the weight of their cats and do not guess correctly, many people will not measure correctly, or to think how unsafe it is to buy "kits" from some random person on the internet out to make an easy buck who has no interest in the health of your cat.

If I had to use flea prevention products I would not to take those kinds of chances with my cats' health, and I share my opinion so other people can think twice before doing so.
I quoted where you said, "I would not do it, ever." That means we're talking about you, not some (most) people. If you're not being illogical and/or irrational, your position indicates you don't have much confidence in your abilities to follow administration instructions after consulting your vet. That's cool because it's good you know you would be incompetent at doing this.

I'm confident this falls within my capabilities because vets have been giving me dosages for liquid medications for years, and I have been completely capable of measuring the medications out and administering them. I also measure and administer medications to myself and my family members, including some very dangerous medications such as a radioactive powder that needed to be weighed. This isn't rocket science for me, but I admire that you recognize it would be a risk for you.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:36 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times

Throwing sand, how cute.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:06 AM

814 posts, read 2,042,794 times
I have been buying frontline plus off ebay for the large dogs for over 3 years and have never had a problem. It comes 3 big green tubes to a box and I use it on 5 cats. I do all 5 cats and then use the whats left on my neighbors Jack Russell terrier dog. Each box costs less than $50 with the kit to administer it. One box will last for 3 months worth of doses. So far so good no flea's or ticks since i recently moved lets hope it stays that way! I always do the "buy it now" and look for the manufacturers control code on the packaging. I suppose you could contact the manufacturer and verify the code but I myself have never inquired as the packaging looks legitimate to me with the factory seal still in place.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:33 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
Advantage stopped working, and I was told that apparently the fleas became immune to it. So I switched to Revolution which is more expensive, but I order it from CanadaVet without a prescription. It works just fine.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:17 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Advantage stopped working, and I was told that apparently the fleas became immune to it. So I switched to Revolution which is more expensive, but I order it from CanadaVet without a prescription. It works just fine.
I seem to have the same problem (Advantage no longer working on indoor cats). I went to a different vet clinic from my usual one (my vet was on vacation, and the other ones were booked up). The other vet clinic (part of a chain) really pushes Revolution, which seemed to work ok on my two cats. Problem is, I would have to take both cats in for the Revolution dosage on a monthly basis (because the dosage needs to correspond to the cats' weights). My regular vet told me later that this clinic pushes Revolution due to a contract with the company, and that Advantage and Frontline are fine. (I buy Advantage from Pet Club, so my vet doesn't profit from Advantage sales.)

I went back to Advantage and the kitties are scratching again. I will check out CanadaVet for Revolution. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats