Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 06:02 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,631,964 times

Advertisements

STL, what a gorgeous cat! LOL And it is a very very GOOD sign she is less tolerant. Why? Now that she is evidently feeling better, she is acting more like a "normal" "dignified" cat. LOL

Great job on the first aid. The wound seems to be healing quite nicely! Yes, I was one of those who said take your cat to a vet, for when I first saw the pics, OH! They were pretty bad! But, now, what a huge difference!

I know what it is like to "tough it out" and do your very best, praying and hoping you truly are doing right by your cat. And evidently you are.

Again, congrats on the healing work! My hat is off to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 06:21 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,761,642 times
If you want me to give up my kittens that's your opinion. If you feel that they are better off dying in the pound in five days, then you have a right to have that opinion. I am doing what I feel is right. I don't have the money to take the animals to the vet for any little thing, but they get their checkups, shots, and we go for emergencies on occasion. No they don't have a gold plated litter box or the best of everything. They are healthy and seem pretty happy to me. They're better off than most cats I know.

I've repeated to you my circumstances over and over and over again. If you refuse to listen there is nothing I can do about that. Sure, this is a public forum. You don't have to post here.

I think sometimes people don't really understand what the rural poverty-stricken areas are like for animals until they live in one.

By the way, I have seen many people come to this forum for advice and help. There's nothing wrong with getting a second opinion. I understand you are frustrated at animal cruelty. We all are. But you are attacking the wrong person here. Your attitude is very haughty and self-righteous. You are also assuming many things based on a little bit of information.

Trust me, if only people who rushed to the vet for any little thing were allowed to have pets not very many of us would have pets. People, especially when low on cash, tend to doctor their own pets until things get to the point where they feel they need to go. And, honestly, sometimes it's a judgment call. Could we have afforded to take her to the vet? Yeah. That said, it appears to be healing now. If it's get worse than she will go to have it checked out at the vet. But if it's not needed we won't go. I'm sure even the most experienced rescuers (who aren't in financial trouble) do some of their own doctoring.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:23 PM

4,933 posts, read 10,606,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
If you want me to give up my kittens that's your opinion. If you feel that they are better off dying in the pound in five days, then you have a right to have that opinion. I am doing what I feel is right. I don't have the money to take the animals to the vet for any little thing, but they get their checkups, shots, and we go for emergencies on occasion. No they don't have a gold plated litter box or the best of everything. They are healthy and seem pretty happy to me. They're better off than most cats I know.

I've repeated to you my circumstances over and over and over again. If you refuse to listen there is nothing I can do about that. Sure, this is a public forum. You don't have to post here.

I think sometimes people don't really understand what the rural poverty-stricken areas are like for animals until they live in one.

By the way, I have seen many people come to this forum for advice and help. There's nothing wrong with getting a second opinion. I understand you are frustrated at animal cruelty. We all are. But you are attacking the wrong person here. Your attitude is very haughty and self-righteous. You are also assuming many things based on a little bit of information.

Trust me, if only people who rushed to the vet for any little thing were allowed to have pets not very many of us would have pets. People, especially when low on cash, tend to doctor their own pets until things get to the point where they feel they need to go. And, honestly, sometimes it's a judgment call. Could we have afforded to take her to the vet? Yeah. That said, it appears to be healing now. If it's get worse than she will go to have it checked out at the vet. But if it's not needed we won't go. I'm sure even the most experienced rescuers (who aren't in financial trouble) do some of their own doctoring.
This is very typical of rural areas. I grew up on a farm where the animals got better attention than the people (we were often seen by the vet or just didn't go to the hospital or a doctor; my brother broke his scapula and didn't know it until it turned up on an x-ray for a wound for which he HAD to see the doctor. But honestly, how much could a doc do for a broken scapula except give you painkillers and rec rest?!), and even then, we were conservative b/c most of the time, if you can't take care of it yourself, there isn't a whole heck of a lot a vet can do for you except spend what very little money you have on something that, many times, didn't help the animal or save it's life.

In these days of overtreatment, I heartily encourage a conservative approach b/c it is sometimes better to allow an animal's immune system to do the work. I think that most people encouraged you to go to the vet for the sake of liability and just to be on the safe side, which is not a luxury that those in impoverished and/or rural areas can really afford.

Regardless of those who naysay (it's always good to have a voice of dissenssion and kudos to Alley for being the odd-man-out), you will always have your supporters who will offer the best advice that they can give

Old 08-26-2010, 08:43 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,119,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
It almost looks like it is trying to scab but it obviously hasn't.
STL - if you're still putting Neosporin on it, you might want to think about stopping that. It will stop it from scabbing up. Now that it's healing, fresh air is needed.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:48 PM

Thanks. I don't blame anybody for suggesting I take her to the vet. I know it's better safe than sorry. I planned to take her to the vet until it started looking better. We've done many home treatments for various things over the years.

I know Alley means well. She just doesn't understand the situation in rural areas where the average income is $25,000 a year for a family. My family does fine, but there aren't many resources here. Providing adequate animal care from the government would be opposed by most people, because it means taxes go up. In fact, outside of the larger cities there are no government-sponsored Animal Control pounds or anything. The rescue groups here are trying to improve the situation, but it takes patience, time, and changing attitudes. Attitudes are slow to change, though. It's like trying to take down the Berlin wall with a fork. It's not impossible I suppose, but it's a long fight. You ever see the cartoon of the little Greek guy that pushes the rock up the hill and then it rolls back down? That's kind of what if feels like here.

I'm just doing what I can in my area. I wouldn't be surprised if I get more involved in animal rescue in the future. But right now I'm taking 18 hours and I have three years of school (hopefully no more) until I get my Bachelor's, so it takes most of my attention and energy. My scholarship runs out this semester and then I have graduate school after that. I have to pick where my money goes carefully. If it's not a dire emergency, the animals don't always go to the vet. I asked here to get some second opinions before I took her to the vet. I realize this place isn't a substitute for a vet, but I thought some here with more experience with cats could give some insight into what to do. I planned to take her to the vet but she appears to be getting better.

Quote:
STL - if you're still putting Neosporin on it, you might want to think about stopping that. It will stop it from scabbing up. Now that it's healing, fresh air is needed.
I hadn't thought of that. I didn't put any on her today. She runs when she sees me reaching for the tube. I guess I'll stop for a while and see how it goes. I knew hydrogen peroxide can keep it from scabbing. I wasn't aware of that with Neosporin, though.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:07 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,952,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Oh, STL, that last photo of her swatting at the camera is adorable!

The wound does look a little better. It is an odd wound; I can't say that I have ever seen anything like it. It almost looks like it is trying to scab but it obviously hasn't. The white skin looks like scar tissue; I'm not sure that the hair will ever grow back there. But at least kit's health isn't in any serious danger.
HAHAHA..... i didn't even realize she was batting at the camera until i read this post......

Old 08-26-2010, 11:24 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,119,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I hadn't thought of that. I didn't put any on her today. She runs when she sees me reaching for the tube. I guess I'll stop for a while and see how it goes. I knew hydrogen peroxide can keep it from scabbing. I wasn't aware of that with Neosporin, though.
Anything with a petroleum-jelly-like base is going to keep the oxygen out as it's a barrier to air basically. Oxygen is good, oxygen is a scab's friend.

Leave it off for a few days, let it all dry out and see how it goes would be what I'd do at this point - for what it's worth anyway.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:46 PM

Runt was laying in my bed. Turtle (her sister) came by and woke her up by licking her face. Then Turtle started cleaning the wound. Then the two of them started grooming each other.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:18 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,779,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Anything with a petroleum-jelly-like base is going to keep the oxygen out as it's a barrier to air basically.
I use Neosporin all the time - on myself.

I never use it on my cats because the ointment base seals the wound preventing it from draining properly.

Improper drainage can lead to a serious abscess that needs to be surgically opened (lanced) and have a draining wick installed to keep the wound open.

Hydrogen Peroxide is a powerful antiseptic, but it damages tissues and prolongs the healing process.

The best thing to clean and disinfect a wound on a cat is Providone Iodine (Betadine).

Old 08-28-2010, 11:08 AM

Update:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats