Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:20 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,120 times

Advertisements

Today I did something I thought I could not do.

Yesterday, my Cookie>>>>originally my neighbor's barn cat who over the years has adopted me as Mom and comes in and out of our home at will>>>>
she brought down Mr. Wise Rabbit. Yes, he had a name, for he came to our backyard all throughout the summer and showed absolutely no fear. We were even able to walk in the backyard and he just kept on munching whatever he was eating, and didn't run. He grew on us.

Anyways, my Cookie brought him down, which I have seen over the years, is a normal for her when the weather is due to get colder. She ate the entire head, inclusive of both ears, the right leg in its entirety, and the heart. The rest she left but she guarded with her life.

I decided to wrap Mr. Wise Rabbit, my friend, up in tinfoil and put it in a plastic ziplock bag, placing it in my refrigerator. My plan? I planned to clean it, de-skin it, and gut it and put the rabbit in my meat grinder. The plan was for this morning. Just wrapping it made my stomach lurch.

I awoke this morning, at 4:45, with anxiety. I just didn't know if I could go through with "the plan".

One look at Cookie sleeping on our couch, and my mind was made up. Without hesitation, I did exactly as I had planned to. And you know what? It wasn't half as bad as I originally thought it would be.

I wanted to share the meat with all my cats. None except for two would eat the meat. And Cookie??? She had a FEAST. She ate everything! I have never seen her eat so much! Never! Her stomach bulged like a balloon! LOL

The moral of my story: You never know until you try what you can do. If I had stayed with my original feeling of repulsion, and had chickened out, I would have missed the absolute JOY of seeing my Cookie eat with gusto. I knew she knew this was Mr. Wise Rabbit, and the gratitude on her face was worth all my anxiety and the loss of several hours of sleep!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 09:28 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,217 times
That's cool! Don't think I could have done it though. I always tell my husband that if I have to cook we'll be vegetarians (he does the cooking). I can eat it, I just can't handle the raw part of it. Although I did cook hamburger meat for 1 of my past dogs that wouldn't eat.
Glad all your cats enjoyed Mr. Wise Rabbit

Old 08-25-2010, 09:59 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
LOL, my stomach turned just opening the can of tuna and shrimp that Cookie (great name! ) and Checkers devoured this morning.

But hey, I'm sure the soul of Mr. Wise Rabbit will rest more easily knowing he's provided your cats with more than one delectable meal.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:48 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
My stomach turned just reading it. reminded me of the time my brother hunted a squirrel and skinned it. It ended up in the fridge in a big bowl of salt water with its eye looking up at me... ewww and double eww.

Here I am thinking of eating Mexican...lol

Old 08-25-2010, 02:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Coming from a line of champion sausage makers - from the pig to the plate - Garden, I salute you! Well done!!

Old 08-25-2010, 02:17 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
It looks like Mr Wise Rabbit's wisdom had its limits.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
It looks like Mr Wise Rabbit's wisdom had its limits.
Oh, but, catman, a dare to differ in opinion here. I'd say that Cookie, being who she is, now has Mr. Wise Rabbit's wisdom within herself.

Think about it. She ate the BRAIN and the HEART yesterday when she first brought him down.

Does it not make you wonder??? It does me!

And, seeing there truly is no death, but only LIFE, and Spirit is Infinity, could it not be possible that the spirit of Mr. Wise Rabbit has now merged with Cookie??? Hmmmmm....... You know, she has been sleeping all day....so..... But then again, having that full of a stomach would make her sleep! LOL

Old 08-25-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Coming from a line of champion sausage makers - from the pig to the plate - Garden, I salute you! Well done!!
Thank YOU DewDropInn! Thank you!

Old 08-25-2010, 03:44 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,610,633 times
Being an animal lover, I cringed at the thought of killing a severely maimed cat. One of our cats was terribly ripped apart by one of our own dogs. It broke my heart to do it, but no vet for 30 miles and a sunday. It had to be done.
It is good that you were able to prevent wasting the meat. What's done is done. Cookie killed it, but the meat didn't go to waste.
Poor wise wabbit

Old 08-25-2010, 04:01 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,574,590 times
I hit a rabbit early one morning on my way home. It bothered me that it could have been injured so I stopped to see. It was dead so I got it, put it in the car, took it home, cleaned it and that is what we had for supper that night... LOL! Fresh Road Kill! I told my husband I would NOT do that again. The smell of it cleaning it gagged me so many times so I know I couldn't stomach cleaning another one.... (and usually, I have a strong stomach).. He was a hunter and we had rabbit all the time so I thought "how hard can it be to skin and clean this thing?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats