Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 07:50 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,020 times

Advertisements

I'm so glad your Panda Man is okay... WHAT A SCARE!!!!!!

Our dryer is stacked on top of the washer.. it's never really been a concern before, besides, the laundry room is adjoined to the kitchen - and it's always loud and noisy in there, so the cats usually stay away from it.

I remember kitties heads being caught in the dishwasher door before, or inside the fridge (that was a puppy jack russel, not a kitty, hehe, but still funny) This wasn't funny. This was scary! Burns on the inside of his mouth and ears!! I'm so glad he's okay.

Our jack russel puppy wasn't in the fridge for more than a moment. It was time for dinner He knew it We opened the fridge door, removed the rest of his canned wet food, turned around to dish it into a bowl, when all of a sudden... where's Jack? lol - opend the fridge back up and he was sniffing around on the bottom shelf at some veggies wagging happily. Dogs can be silly sometimes - but machines they don't understand can be deadly!

WHEW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 08:01 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Hey Kelli,

I'm glad your kitty was okay. One time I opened the dryer and my cat jumped right in (he likes enclosed spaces). Fortunately I saw him in time and he was never in there with the door closed.

It can be easy to do that, though. We have to get in the habit of looking before we shut the door.

Again, I'm glad he's okay.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:02 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
I have TWO family members that have lost cats to this exact thing and both still have nightmares about it.. Just THANK GOD you only put the pants in there for a few minutes or this wouldn't have had a good outcome..

My Giz use to love to get in my dryer and the washer! I have learned since then to KEEP THEM CLOSED AT ALL TIMES and NEVER turn my back to either when they are open!

Be warned though, your baby was probably tramatized by this experience and may have problems from the mental trama. People just don't realize how animals are tramatized.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:09 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
When I was 5 years old I put our two kittens in the dryer. It was out in the garage and Mama thought I was in the back yard playing with everybody. She said she came out of the kitchen into the garage and I said I was watching the kittens on TV. This was back when people didn't get in all kinds of trouble for spanking their kids. The way my dad tied into me, I bet I didn't sit down comfortably for a week! Yes, the kittens died.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:17 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
Be warned though, your baby was probably tramatized by this experience and may have problems from the mental trama. People just don't realize how animals are tramatized.
Very true. And no, people really don't realize. Thank you, Laura, for bringing this to Kelli's attention!

Old 08-27-2010, 01:22 PM

544 posts, read 1,485,615 times
People, I hate to say this, but you have to realize that if you have a cat or cats, and you have a dryer, the cat(s) WILL get into the dryer if you leave the dryer door open. So...(1) don't leave the dryer door open, EVER; and (2) Don't turn the dryer on without looking inside. Okay? Sheesh....

Anticipate, okay??? THINK AHEAD

I'm not saying that anyone on here would do this on purpose (you could get arrested for that, if you did), but it's not really an accident, either; it's a product of human carelessness and stupidity.

Last edited by scsigurl3000; 08-27-2010 at 02:13 PM..

Old 08-27-2010, 01:50 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Very scary. Glad things are okay.

I see all the cute pics of cats in dryers, but mine has never once done that. Of course, half her life (7 years) we lived in places where the washer and dryer was not in our space, and the other half has been at our current house, where the washer and dryer are closed in a room in what is otherwise a finished basement. Would never dawn on me to leave the room open all the time. She doesn't check up on me doing the laundry as much as she used to, but sometimes she watches. But I don't leave the laundry room open if I know the cat is even downstairs. This particular dryer keeps me from leaving that wide open anyway, because there's a light in it that would stay on if I did that.

It's harder to close these off if you have a wide open basement with the washer/dryer in it, I suppose. I'm actually glad this is laid out the way it is. I wouldn't want the cat getting near things like the furnace, the water heater, etc. She is generally incessantly curious, so it's a simple fact of never leaving her alone with it that she never got into the dryer. Hey, I don't want the cat on the clean laundry, don't want to do it over again. I know that all too well, so I am sure to put it somewhere where she doesn't get all over it. The cat has me well trained.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:58 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
I thought some of you might like to have this... Just save it, print it and put on your dryer as a reminder..

Old 08-28-2010, 08:02 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
People, I hate to say this, but you have to realize that if you have a cat or cats, and you have a dryer, the cat(s) WILL get into the dryer if you leave the dryer door open. So...(1) don't leave the dryer door open, EVER; and (2) Don't turn the dryer on without looking inside. Okay? Sheesh....

Anticipate, okay??? THINK AHEAD

I'm not saying that anyone on here would do this on purpose (you could get arrested for that, if you did), but it's not really an accident, either; it's a product of human carelessness and stupidity.

You are too good/careful/smart/attentive to ever have something like this happen to you. Got it.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:59 AM

260 posts, read 675,879 times
OMG. Thank God your cat is ok! So glad there is a happy ending. I bet he never goes near the dryer again. That was a foot in mouth comment from the vet. Glad he apologized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats