Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:45 AM

450 posts, read 5,021,283 times

Advertisements

My 3-year-old, indoor male cat is occasionally leaving small, rust colored spots where he sits. The spots are the size of a pencil eraser. I've seen him do it, and we're finding the spots on his bedding, the counter, etc. Not a lot of them, a few per day.

Anyhow, he is completely normal other than this. No problems using the litter box. No blood in urine, no excessive urination. Drinks normally. No straining in litter box.

Does anyone know what this could be? As a side note, ever since he was a kitten he has had issues with (clear) occasional discharge coming from his penis. The vet did not know what to make of this, and nothing was found to be wrong. But when we'd hold him we'd have a bit of wetness on our hands after holding him. This was worse when he was a kitten and mostly cleared up after he got neutered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 08:34 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,664,291 times
Bass, it sounds like this could be, now I am saying COULD BE, small drops of blood. Or, another type of drainage coming somewhere from his hind quarters. You say he does have a history of having a penis discharge, and I am thinking that his penis might be infected or an inflammation of some sort is occurring.

My vote is taking your cat in to see your vet. I don't think it is a critical situation, but again, you don't want to wait until it is. Good luck!

Old 08-29-2010, 09:08 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,325,020 times
I have to agree with GOE - you need to see a vet and you may need to go to another one other then your own. iI had a female cat that when she would sit the same thing happened. little bit of a blood spot here and there. Turned out she had digestive cancer.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:35 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,910 times
I would take him in for a checkup as the others stated. I was thinking maybe anal glands? You won't know until you get him examined. Good luck!

Old 08-29-2010, 09:52 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,830,218 times
Since your furbaby has had discharges from his penis since he was a kitten, I would be taking him to a vet as soon as possible. I've usually equated rust spots with blood, but then I am not a vet...

Old 08-29-2010, 10:02 AM

450 posts, read 5,021,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
Since your furbaby has had discharges from his penis since he was a kitten, I would be taking him to a vet as soon as possible. I've usually equated rust spots with blood, but then I am not a vet...
We did take him when he was a kitten re: this discharge, and nothing was found. The vet had no explanation for the clear penile discharge. It actually cleared up nearly completely after he was neutered at 6 months.

These rust spots now are occasional. I have only seen him actually do it once, which was this week when he was sitting on the toilet tank lid. He got up, and there was the rust spot. It was a light rust color, about the size of a pencil eraser.

I will take him to the vet, because I want to get him treated for whatever this. I have read that giving more water with wet food and changing to a prescription diet can help if it's feline lower urinary tract disorder.

I do believe this cat has some sort of urethral issue, since he had the clear penile discharge as a kitten. I am wondering if now that he's older, this is the beginnings of feline lower urinary tract disorder. I've read about this, but he doesn't have any of the symptoms (except this spotting). The other symptoms are straining, freq. urination, inappoproriate urination, howling, discomfort, lethargy. He is completely normal other than this spotting.

Last edited by Bass101; 08-29-2010 at 10:19 AM..

Old 08-29-2010, 11:35 AM

544 posts, read 1,485,128 times
I profoundly hope this is not the case, but I experienced this once with a cat, also, and it was feline leukemia. Take him to the vet and get him checked out.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:51 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
I'd also tend to think anal gland issues. They can be both impacted and infected, leading to bloody discharge.

If that's the case, it's a vet issue since antibiotics are needed to fully clear it up.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:24 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,664 times
I wouldn't venture a guess but my bet is the vet will know.... if not he will have the tools at hand to find out.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:53 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,996,281 times
My vote would be for the anal sacs.

Is he a chubby kitty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats