Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:24 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I guess we adopted a shop cat.
He is absolutely adorable! Bless you for rescuing him. More pictures...more pictures, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 09:39 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
He looks hopelessly spoiled already.

As for the litter box, put him in there after you see him having a meal, and encourage him to move the paws around in the litter.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:16 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
When he is two pounds he will be big enough for a capstar, droncit (for flea tapeworm) and a kitten dose of revolution and his first distemper booster. Also of course tested for FeLV/FIV. Bring a stool sample to his first appointment.
Our local shelter starts the spay/neuter process as small as 2 pounds. So go ahead and get that scheduled too!

Old 09-03-2010, 05:13 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,127,785 times
What a cutie!

Old 09-03-2010, 05:48 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,086 times
You all are killing me here with all the cute babies that you are rescuing I just want to gather them all up and cuddle. I could very easily become the crazy cat/dog lady I just have to say though bless you all there is a special place in heaven for you for taking these little ones in.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:54 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,865 times
Lucky, the shop cat, I like it . That's awesome that your shop is keeping this cute little guy inside from most likely death outside, yikes...rattlesnakes and coyotes! And black kitties bring good luck!

Old 09-03-2010, 10:28 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Lucky seems to be adjusting to his new environment pretty well.

I still seems a little scared, he'll scamper away when you walk toward him, but get down on your hands and knees taping your fingernails on the floor and he'll come right up to you.

I saw the office ladies brought in toys... Lucky has about a dozen assorted kitty toys scattered about the conference room. He is also sleeping in his bed which has to be a lot more comfortable than the bottom shelf of a bookcase.

During the day and evening people are talking turns with little visits so he gets used to a large variety of people. There are four people handling him now on a regular basis.

Tomorrow I need to go in for a few hours and will allow him the run of the office area. It will be just him and I so he can get used to his new home.

I will also take more pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Our local shelter starts the spay/neuter process as small as 2 pounds. So go ahead and get that scheduled too!
He has a ways to go I doubt he weighs a pound yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
Lucky, the shop cat, I like it . That's awesome that your shop is keeping this cute little guy inside from most likely death outside, yikes...rattlesnakes and coyotes! And black kitties bring good luck!
If you saw the area around our shop death wouldn't have been likely but nearly certain. By himself he would not have lasted 24 hours.

We used to have between 8 and a dozen feral cats around but we think the coyotes nearly wiped them out over a 24 hour period a month ago. There was a black and white mother cat, blind in one eye, I tried to make friends with that the last anyone saw of her she was dragging badly mauled foot into the underbrush. We would like to help but you couldn't get close to any of these feral cats. I tried for months but only so close and they would take off.

Lucky will have several visitors over the long weekend.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:52 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
nicet shop cats are great for company morale too. Somehow having an animal around that the group cares for makes everyone a bit more humane & they get along better by bringing the best out in them. Once upon a time the coast guard used to have station dogs-- black labs by tradition of good swimming skills. They've done away with that tradition due to liability & transient nature of military duty, but what a shame to lose that tradition. I think my ex chief would credit the dog for why his crew got along so famously.

You're going to have to cat proof the office a bit. Electrical wires seem to fascinate them but you can slip cable bundler covers over the wires to deter him & have a neater office in the bargain. Remember that a kittens only defense is the ability to flee and hide, so mapping out some strategic hiding places for lucky (so you can find him and he feels secure) will help him out. Other places- like an open panel of a xerox machine, need to be blocked off. I went frantic looking for my kitten his first day in the house-- he managed to find a gap in the cabinetry to get under the dishwasher and behind the oven. He got his silly self covered in motor grease but it was a lesson for me to look at the house through kitten eyes to know in advance where I didn't want him to be. My kitten also destroyed the keyboard on my laptop clawing at neat buttons so keyboard covers or slide under drawer types when not in use might be in order if you don't already have them. Preplan his entertainment and he's less likely to seek adventure and mayhem to amuse himself.

Cats like to perch & nap in odd nooks. You can encourage a good napping place by putting a bit of micro fleece throw blanket out. I use them as covers for formal bedding too because throwing the whole bedding in the washer too often messes up the batting. I got a cheapy throw on sale and just cut it up into cat bedding sized sections. Those blankets feel like mommy to them and having that Linus blankie will help with insecurity. I'd wash them once a week to keep cat hair down to a dull roar and also because I'd find dozens of sucking marks on the fabric. Too cute!

As for the office being pitch dark-- first alert makes multi pack night lights that plug into the wall. Uses little to no energy and has a smart sensor only coming on when it's dark. Usually big box stores carry them in the lighting section. Don't worry too much because cats do sleep a considerable amount of time in a day. Just make sure he has stimulating toys to occupy his idle hours while the staff is absent.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:22 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
An update!

Lucky seems to be adapting to his new surroundings real well!

He isn't timid anymore (that took three days) and will come right up for a pet with the purring starting the second you extend your hand to him and when picked up his heart no longer beats at 1,000 per minute. He is getting comfortable.

Got a project I need to have done Tuesday morning so I will be in and out this entire holiday weekend.

Being by myself I figured it was time to introduce Lucky to the entire office and he loves exploring. In and out, around furniture then jumping up in a chair followed by another leap puts him on top of my desk. "All the better for you to pet me" he purrs.

On the floor.

Up on the desk. I know it's a mess but my desk has a habit of looking like that towards the ends of projects... but I do know where everything is so don't go touching my stuff!

Pictures also give a good idea to his size... I think he is smaller than a lot of people were thinking he was.

But the good news is he seems to be really liking it around here.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:37 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Default Use his urine.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

We're also not sure what to do with the litter box but I suppose he'll eventually figure it out. Floor isn't carpeted so won't hurt anything.

What do you think?
Make sure to put some of his feces and urine in the litter box to attract him there. Put him in the box and make digging motions. Make sure it's low enough for him to SEE over the side from outside the box. I use old low baking pans with young kittens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats