Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2010, 10:26 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times

Advertisements

This is so sad. So far we've seen 4 lost cats in campgrounds this summer. One was only a young kitten but I couldn't catch it. The people working there told me people bring cats and kittens and they manage to escape from their trailers or motor homes, or the kids take them outside to show a new friend and the cat runs off. The owners leave without them. They usually die of starvation over the winter they said. These cats quickly become fearful from campers chasing them away and wont go near someone trying to help them. It would take days to gain their confidence and apparently few campers have the time or interest in saving these doomed felines. We weren't at any CG long enough to gain their confidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 11:14 PM

54 posts, read 190,368 times
THIS is how you do it!

Kona Goes Camping!!

Old 09-04-2010, 12:32 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
=^..^= : That is so sad. Poor kitties.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:02 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabala View Post
THIS is how you do it!

Kona Goes Camping!!
hahahaa I'd love to do this but I don't think it would work camping out in bear country. My cat sadly doesn't enjoy traveling and I'm going to have to resort to pet sitters when I go out of town. He may not like that I'm away but the alternatives (sedating, anxiety attacks, too many changes all at once) are far worse. Mountain driving seems to really bother his ears and letting him roam freely around in the car is risky on the interstate. The look of relief when we got home last time let me know he really isn't cut out for traveling.

As for the OP--
I can't help but wish there were real time consequences for people who abandon animals. This lame mentality that animals can fend for themselves better than humans when our civilization has imposed itself on all habitats needs a smack upside the head. Peter Pan mentalities need a wake up call and children raised to view animals as toys or accessories is just gross. How many times have you heard people say "It's just an animal"? As if we're morally permitted to abuse animals in ways we're not permitted to abuse people. How nuts is that?

Turn this around... we went camping and grandpa wandered off somewhere. It was time to go so we just left him. He's a grown man, he can handle himself.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
hahahaa I'd love to do this but I don't think it would work camping out in bear country. My cat sadly doesn't enjoy traveling and I'm going to have to resort to pet sitters when I go out of town. He may not like that I'm away but the alternatives (sedating, anxiety attacks, too many changes all at once) are far worse. Mountain driving seems to really bother his ears and letting him roam freely around in the car is risky on the interstate. The look of relief when we got home last time let me know he really isn't cut out for traveling.

As for the OP--
I can't help but wish there were real time consequences for people who abandon animals. This lame mentality that animals can fend for themselves better than humans when our civilization has imposed itself on all habitats needs a smack upside the head. Peter Pan mentalities need a wake up call and children raised to view animals as toys or accessories is just gross. How many times have you heard people say "It's just an animal"? As if we're morally permitted to abuse animals in ways we're not permitted to abuse people. How nuts is that?

Turn this around... we went camping and grandpa wandered off somewhere. It was time to go so we just left him. He's a grown man, he can handle himself.
We take our three kitties camping with us. They ride to the CG in our tow-van in their carriers. When we get there they're moved into our 19' RV. It's cramped with 3 cats but we wont board them. It's expensive and we've heard too many horror stories. No children camp with us. So far none of them have tried to get out the door. If they did, I couldn't imagine leaving one behind. I don't think the owners felt they were abandoning the cats. But if they had jobs to go to or the kids needed to start school, they may not have been able to stay extra days to look for the cat. One young pretty calico walked up to a friend of ours at the Cedars Of Lebanon State Park (TN) last fall. He adopted her, spayed her and is very happy with her. We couldn't coax the beautiful long haired cat with a collar and tags to come close to us in the same CG. Several of us camped there that weekend and were saddened by the plight of these cats.

None of our cats mind traveling. I think they enjoy the break in their same old same old routine. We take them out last and they're hanging around their carriers waiting to be loaded.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabala View Post
THIS is how you do it!

Kona Goes Camping!!

We also have 2 large cages for them when we camp. One is that high cat cage you see in some petstores ($149.00) and the other a large dog crate. However this summer was too hot to leave them outside, even under the RV's awning. One campground, despite the rules, had too many lose dogs running around even if it was cooler. That was Poole Knobs in LaVergene TN. You have a good setup for your kitty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats