Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:14 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times

Advertisements

I know this much, I don't like folks who don't like animals. They seem a bit ...."off" to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 10:27 AM

773 posts, read 1,259,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I know this much, I don't like folks who don't like animals. They seem a bit ...."off" to me.
I agree. It's sort of like kids. I can even see why some people would prefer not to have the responsibility (and cost) of a pet (or a child).

But hating animals? That's weird to me.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:45 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Cats, at any age, form deep emotional long lasting bonds with their humans, and with other cats, and with dogs and other animals.

The cat's brain is organized most like the humans, of any animal, especially the section of the brain that controls emotion.
One sibling has both a cat and a dog. The dog likes everyone in the family. The cat likes only a few people. In response to another post, it periodically gets birds, when it is fed plenty.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:56 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
Also understand that many times it's not that a person doesn't like the cat or cats in general, they really don't like the person with the cat(s).

You know the type that everything is about the cat. Stop and ask hows the new car, and withinn 2 seconds its all about theior cat. mention you bought a new blender and they tel you how thie cat hates blenders. Invite them out to dinner and they can't because their cat is upset at them and they need to spend some more time with the cat. No matter whatt he subject from politics to religion; from cooking to sports; from current events to Old man jack getting killed by his own tractor, it all has to turn to their cat.

These folks don't hate cats, they hate the crazy cat person. Many times when looking at a person who one thinks "hates cats" look honestly at the situation and you may just see that it has nothing to do with the cat, but with the crazy cat person.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:29 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Also understand that many times it's not that a person doesn't like the cat or cats in general, they really don't like the person with the cat(s).

You know the type that everything is about the cat. Stop and ask hows the new car, and withinn 2 seconds its all about theior cat. mention you bought a new blender and they tel you how thie cat hates blenders. Invite them out to dinner and they can't because their cat is upset at them and they need to spend some more time with the cat. No matter whatt he subject from politics to religion; from cooking to sports; from current events to Old man jack getting killed by his own tractor, it all has to turn to their cat.

These folks don't hate cats, they hate the crazy cat person. Many times when looking at a person who one thinks "hates cats" look honestly at the situation and you may just see that it has nothing to do with the cat, but with the crazy cat person.
It's one thing if you prompt someone for information about their cats or there is some competitive storytelling happening that involves cats, but...

"My cat did the funniest thing today, you'll just die when I tell you all about it."

Harumph. Why don't you send me an e-mail so I can delete it?

Old 04-04-2012, 02:37 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,674,794 times
I think hate is a strong word but i believe people like dogs over cats because dogs do what you say, mostly. Cats do whatever they want.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
It's one thing if you prompt someone for information about their cats or there is some competitive storytelling happening that involves cats, but...

"My cat did the funniest thing today, you'll just die when I tell you all about it."

Harumph. Why don't you send me an e-mail so I can delete it?
Yeah, I feel the same way when people say "My kid did the funniest thing today, you'll just die when I tell you all about it."

You can bet that e-mail will be deleted. Now if instead they want to tell me about what their cat did; bring it on!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post

Just like I don't hate kids, I hate the parents who won't shut up about them.

But I can give you an exception to that rule. One of my very best friends many years ago hated cats with a passion. She would not even come to my house because I had a cat. But we were still very good friends. She did not hate me, she hated my cat.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:19 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yeah, I feel the same way when people say "My kid did the funniest thing today, you'll just die when I tell you all about it."

You can bet that e-mail will be deleted. Now if instead they want to tell me about what their cat did; bring it on!
Turnabout is certainly fair-play, but I think I detect a smidgen of that righteous and defensive anger experienced by those who have been busted! In other words, you didn't just out yourself, did you?

I delete those kid emails too, unless I've prompted for kid information or there is some competitive storytelling happening, of course.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Turnabout is certainly fair-play, but I think I detect a smidgen of that righteous and defensive anger experienced by those who have been busted! In other words, you didn't just out yourself, did you?

I delete those kid emails too, unless I've prompted for kid information or there is some competitive storytelling happening, of course.
Wow! You got "righteous and defensive anger " out of my posts? Actually I was laughing while I was composing them.

I only talk about my cat with other cat people. And only if they want to talk cats.

But really, anyone constantly yakking about any one subject without determining whether or not the listener is interested or to the point where their eyes glaze over from boredom is being pretty rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats