Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:36 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,943,043 times

Advertisements

We have both... I think I still prefer the cat, but dogs are good too. Our cat gets very upset when we're outsideor gone for a while... she'll meow for us, and then give us love when we come back in whether her food dish is empty or not. When I'm sick, she gently curls up right next to me and won't leave my side. Dog has a total fit if we don't take her with us when we're outside or going somewhere... destroys everything and nearly kills herself to get to us. When I'm sick, she stomps all over me checking to see if I'm ok. Totally different styles, but still showing love

One funny thing is that our cat is an excellent bug hunter... but she doesn't like to eat some of them (there's the beetle that gives her yucky face). I watch her catch those, and sort of flick them over for the dog to eat... cuz the dog will eat anything, even the yucky beetles I think it's the only cute interaction the cat has with the dog... but dog is about 10x her size and still a hyper puppy, so I can sorta understand her normal grumpiness. Dog, of course, tries everything she can to love and play with kitty... and, you know, just "taste" her a teeny bit. We keep an eye on them, just in case dog gets funny ideas.

Cat knows she's not allowed on tables and counters during food prep and meals. Waits patiently for handouts if she's interested in something we're eating. Dog takes every opportunity to sneak food off the counter and table, and forms puddles of drool while making that annoying whiney noise through her nose if you're eating something (doesn't matter what it is, or even if you're actually eating anything, just if she thinks you're eating something).

Dog plays "fetch" -- good at chasing, good at retrieving, not so good at remembering to bring it back, but totally game on. Cat plays "fetch" -- good at chasing, good at retrieving, good at bringing it back, gets bored with it easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 06:55 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I find that there are three kinds of people who hate cats.

1. People who have always had dogs and do not understand that cats are not dogs;

2. People who have had a bad experience with a cat as a child; and

3. People who have a sick "need" to be IN CHARGE of their pets. They cannot deal with having a pet who will not OBEY THEM. They need to be adored and worshiped by their pet (i.e. dog), and they cannot handle the indifference and lack of control that they have over cats. They actually get HOSTILE that they cannot control the very heart and soul of the cat! I have found that in THIS AREA the less intelligent and worldly a person is, the more they tend to dislike cats. Mind you, I am not saying that cat haters are stupid across the board - certainly not. But this has just been my observation.
Right. I don't fit any of those 3, and it doesn't seem like a very intelligent and wordly thing for you to say.
Do you have insults for people who don't like whole wheat bread, too? Is everyone whose opinion differs from yours some kind of traumatized moron?

Old 09-09-2010, 07:05 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Why do some people hate the color orange, or turquoise? Hate is usually associated with a fear that stems from ignorance about the thing hated. It might be connected to a negative impression formed before the rational thinking mind became involved. Someone who hates will have manufactured a rationale to support the state after the fact, but usually they don't even really understand the basis.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:16 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
In my experience people who hate cats tend to have the attitude that human being are innately superior and all animals should automatically acknowledge this.
I thought that was the cat attitude: that cats are superior and humans should acknowedge and worship them as they were in ancient Egypt.

I don't hate cats I just like other peoples' cats. My main issue is one of cleanliness. I don't like that they have a litter box, walk in their waste, and then jump up on countertops and other surfaces. I also don't want to maintain the litterbox and I won't have outside cats because of the impact they have on songbirds, quail, etc... .That cats can carry and transfer disease to humans (feline leukemia, toxoplasmosis, etc... ) is another reason I don't have one. I like petting and playing with friends' cats but I don't want to deal with that in my own house.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:23 AM

41,950 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
That cats can carry and transfer disease to humans (feline leukemia
This is just plain wrong. There is no evidence that feline leukemia can be transferred to humans, or to dogs.

You'll have to find another reason to hate cats.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:31 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,677 times
I like SOME cats. My main issue with them is that it seems like it is rolling the dice as to their personality when they get older. Two cats can be raised in the same house, with the same amount of affection as a kitten. One cat will be a cuddlebug, the other will hide under the coach for 23.5 hours a day. Dogs are more predictable in their temperament based upon their raising. Cats also have the tendency to only like 1 person, even in the family. I think this is a positive for some people, it makes them feel special. I like cats that are affectionate and playful...you know, the ones that are more like dogs.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:02 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,986,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Her cat is pretty well trained though. And "beating" him isn't her first reaction to the begging...or anything else. First, she'll say "What are you doing?" And that often stops him.

She also expects him to sit quietly next to the bowl as she's feeding him, and only go to eat when she gives permission.

I'm not involved in discipline at all--if anything, I'm the good cop.
That poor cat. cats should never be beat. I hope she decides to find it a good loving home and soon.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:30 AM

333 posts, read 1,063,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
That poor cat. cats should never be beat. I hope she decides to find it a good loving home and soon.
I concur. People who beat animals should be strung up by their privates.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:52 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,102,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Because the cat people that I know have cats that are always up on table, counters, stoves etc.

Keep them off of the counters, especially when you're serving food.
NO - ALWAYS off the counters. Counters are for food prep - not for kids or cats or birds or ........... FOOD, just food.

I now have 2 cats and a rescue kitten. But until 13 years ago, I had no use for cats. I always had dogs. I thought kittens were cute but then they grew up. My daughter-in-law had a kitten and the litter box always had a deposit in it. I hated that. When I went into the house, I hissed at the cat and it would hide until I was gone so I didn't have to deal with it.

Then I met the man I love and he is a cat owner...er, owned by a cat. So I had no choice but to tolerate the cat. I moved into the house with a request: no cat on tables, counters, people sitting places. We compromised by creating cat sitting places covered with a "kitty bed" (fleece cloth to be removed when company came). He handed me a package of 8 toy water guns - the kinds used for birthday party give-aways. What a fantastic training tool ! Inside of 2 weeks, the cat was trained - totally! It was so easy - after training dogs for months, this cat was trained in no time! He understands "kitty bed" (his little blanket on his special spot on the bed).

I always felt cats were aloof, whereas my dogs always came to me for petting or snuggling. I never knew that cats do too!

So a lot of the hating is from lack of knowledge. My sister insists that cats knock over garbage cans, dig in gardens, and meow all night. I'm sure some cats do. We don't have a problem with other people's cats because my Tom doesn't allow other cats on our property - except for 2 - an injured cat a couple of years ago and now this new kitten. And my cats know the word "no".

Something that totally astounded me - my cat saved my life - seriously - the way a dog might. We have a kitty door so the cats can go in/out at will. But yet, one day last fall, my cat was inside while I was cooking. I had a huge pot of water on the stove while I was in this room on the computer and totally unaware that the water had boiled over and put out the flames, but not the gas. The cat kept coming to me - I thought for attention - tapping me on the leg, I pet her and she would pull away. Then she'd come back and tap me more, escalating until she was scratching then she came back and bit me HARD and ran towards the kitchen. OK, now I knew something was up so I followed her and soon as I got near the kitchen I smelled it. The kitchen, dining room, and living room were filled with the smell of gas. I grabbed her tossed her out the kitty door and started opening windows.

Yes, I had a dog that saved my family from a fire, but I never expected anything like that from a cat.

Yes, I'm a convert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
Most of the people who hate cats have never owned a cat (or been owned by the cat).. My Dad grew up in a rural area and he always saw cats as outside animals, responsible for "mice and rodent patrol", and not as companions for people. He has sinced changed his mind because my brother and I love cats and he got to watch us interact with our pets. People who have never had cats don't realize that while they are independent, cats generally are very social and awesome companions. I couldn't imagine not having a cat curled up next to me while I watch tv, or snuggling up next to me when I go to bed. . I love the sound of a cat purring next to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Here's a question how do cats know what time it is-every morning at 4am my cat wants to be fed-I used to get up at 4am-3 years ago! I cannot break her of this habit....suggestions?
Ignore it for 15 minutes for the 3-4 days, then it will change the time to 4:15. Every 3-4 days, extend the time. My cats get up at 5 except on weekends, it's after 6.

One more thing for the cat don't-likers: I am severely hearing impaired and my cats know it. They meow and mew and talk quietly for my husband, but when they want me, they shriek! I hear them.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:11 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Why do some people hate cats?
I think some people have a moment when they realize "Hey! This cat really doesn't give a **** about me!! I'm actually a slave to this stupid cat!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats