Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:25 PM

220 posts, read 745,136 times

Advertisements

I had one black cat, Sabrina. She was a sweety, very shiny coat, just loved to cuddle with the occassional love bite. She was always very regal, like the queen of the abode. I did have two other felines at the time. They have all passed over to the rainbow bridge after many years of affection.
Now, I have TAZ, and I mean Devil. He was sort of just inherited when my oldest daughter returned home along with 2 cockateils. He had no name she took him in knowing I would concede. Well she moved out and here I am once again learning to be a caregiver to a young now 7mth old Tiger terror. He comes out at night searching to any havoc available. Paper products are shredded, draws and cabinets are an absolute playland, things go bump, bang, clang, zip. This animal, I thought, was settleing down with neutering as well, but it seems he has really only discovered the possibilities.
I will admit it is hysterical, the antics are truly entertaining. Unfortunately, my husband needs to sleep and is not really an animal lover.
I have done the no no's, bad cat corrections, he has a will of his own and wraps his paws around me that I have to wear long sleeves for fear people may think I am a addict or trying to slice myself. He is well entertained with two dogs, five parrots plus the two cockatiels. Ironically it is the parrots who have put him in his place, he antagonized the dogs to death but they on occasion chase him or romp up and down to play.
Well, today I put up a bird feeder in the window which I know the chipmunks and squirrels will raid, but it is worth it to me to try and wear out this wild night marauder so the humans he now owns may catch some sleep.
Enjoy your nice black kitty Newsboy, maybe there is hope for you.
No more "Frisky" cat food here, need to shop for something more like Xanax, LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 08:02 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
We had 4 cats originally, and three more have recently joined our household. Their ages span 2 to 10 years. None of them are black cats, except the one Tuxedo.. which is the best behaved.

Everything you listed in your post, goes on at our home! We aren't very good cat parents when it comes to discipline. We change everything in our lives and home to work around their little "quirks."

Old 09-21-2010, 08:38 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
This thread is great!

I don't think black cats are pre-disposed to a friskier temperament...in fact, my previous tenant had one of the laziest, most sweet and mellow cats I've ever met, and he's black. I can definitely sympathize with the kitten insanity, though...my 2 males, ages 1 and 2 respectively, get into ALL kinds of shenanigans together and keep me laughing (and sometimes terrified) most all the time. The other day I was sitting in my office when I heard a loud BANG! I ran to the kitchen to find them both on the counter (a no-no as they know, not that it matters...) with a big, brand new bottle of vidalia onion salad dressing...they had opened my cabinet and knocked it down and had already punctured it when I ran in, seconds after hearing the bang...luckily they didn't get the chance to ingest more than a few licks because onions are extremely toxic to cats ! Time to get some of those plastic thingies that lock your cabinets in place...for the moment, they are taped shut .

Gotta love 'em, though...and yes, I admit, I will certainly miss their energy and antics once they get older even though it can be a challenge at times!

Old 09-22-2010, 02:14 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I ran to the kitchen to find them both on the counter (a no-no as they know, not that it matters...) with a big, brand new bottle of vidalia onion salad dressing...they had opened my cabinet and knocked it down and had already punctured it when I ran in, seconds after hearing the bang...luckily they didn't get the chance to ingest more than a few licks because onions are extremely toxic to cats
I live only about 90 minutes from VIDALIA, GA -- only place in the world where Vidalia sweet onions grow! But I've never heard that onions are toxic to cats! Chocolate I knew about, and of course dairy products aren't supposed to be good for them, despite the myth. However, my 16-year-old Tabby absolutely LOVES Italian food. Anything that has tomato sauce in it, he comes running and licks the leftovers. And most spaghetti sauce has onions in it. I finally figured out after awhile that it's the oregano that's the attraction. Oregano is very similar to catnip.

Anyway, after posting my frustration last night about Walter the "devil" black cat, I have to say that he's been a little sweetheart today. Earlier tonight, I laid down on the couch to watch TV with pillow under my arm he came and laid on top of the pillow and went to sleep. Then I dozed off, and when I woke up an hour later he had slid off the pillow and was laying, upside down, between me and the pillow fast asleep.

As I type this, he is in my lap UPSIDE down with his head hanging off my leg, all four of his legs sticking straight up in the air. if I knew how to take a photo and post it on here, I would. Cute and sweet.

So yeah ... treasure these days because I'm sure, eventually, he'll be lazy and boring and do nothing but sleep and eat all day and night.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:49 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
But in the right light, and from the right angle, you can see a definitely STRIPE pattern under his coat. Very strange.
Not at all. Domestic shorthair cats are tabbies; solid cats' stripes are suppressed by genetics. Here's a link about cat colors and genetics:

Cat Breeds: Domestic Cat As a Basis For Breed Variations

Quote:
I've already had him neutered, which I hoped would calm him down, but it hasn't had any effect yet. He absolutely TERRORIZES my other cat ... in defense, he's just trying to play, but the tabby is set in his ways and doesn't want anything to do with him, just hisses and spats and runs away.
It takes awhile for the neutering to have its full effect, not to mention that he's still a baby!

Gosh, now you're making me want a kitten. My two are still young enough (4) that they could keep up. Hmmmm ... My cats aren't solid black -- they're tuxedo kitties -- but they're no crazier than any other cat. The male is a drama queen -- every meow he makes sound like it will be his last -- and terrorizes his sister at every opportunity. The female is very dainty and feminine, but she gets her licks in.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:56 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
A week and a half ago we adopted 2 black cats from the humane society - 3 months old. Supposedly from the same litter, one is much smaller though. I am SO GLAD we got them both as they entertain each other to no end. Of course, it is double trouble .

I forgot how much I love kittens and how much they make me laugh. And having them both keeps them off the back of our 11 year old female. She is SLOWLY adjusting. But it will be awhile before the hissing and growling stop I'm sure. I am amazed at the progress though in just this short time.

Oh, and one of them LOVES our big collie/malamute. It's so cute, and she just keeps getting up and moving when she's had enough of Rory rubbing all over her.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:30 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
I have two black cats. Furball was rescued from my landlords as they dumped her in the garage and left after an argument. Turns out she was only four weeks old. When they got around to asking what happened to her I told them I had her and she and the dog were sleeping together right then. I had no intention of giving her back and seems they have a short attention span with pets.

But she'd been either abused, taken from mom too young or with all the kids at the house just learned to be scared of them. Her nickname is Snot. Since her world went from one dog to two dogs and multiple cats she's adjusted but is still a snot. She doesn't like to be held and is fast with the claws, but when she decides to be affectionate she comes to you. Her fur is long and she has the two little barely noticable patches of white.

The other black cat is Little One, who is the runt of the litter my adopted feral had. She is so small she looks like a kitten at a year old. Her fur is shorter, but she has all the spunk she needs to make up for it. She used to be the one to go and antagonize her brothers when they were sleeping just to start fights. But she loves affection too. All of the litter and mom are talkers, though she isn't as persistant as her brother Patches.

The mom is a tuxedo. She had to have been dumped after being and inside cat since once I caught the kittens she came in on her own and has never even tried to leave. She is such a mellow girl, and finally she and Furball have settled down to only a few hisses a day.

The funniest relation is Patches and Gumby. In my pics is a picture of a puppy and a black and white cat. That is them just after Gumby first arrived. Everyone else took off hiding but Patches, who sniffed and was sniffed and decided to stretch out right next to the puppy. They play. The puppy does mouthing on the cat and the cat seems to like it. They'll be laying there on the cushion next to each other. My other male, a small sized maine coon look alike named scampy, have taken to hanging out with his brother and his dogs as well. I go in the kitchen around dinner time and there all of them are, waiting while the pup tries to chew up his metal dish and if I don't get there soon enough just starts barking.

I have had more recent experience with kittens but this is the first in a long time with a puppy. Despite the missing items and finding the bathroom brush in the living room most of the time and the puppy teeth (you would think I had a two year old) I love having him. My other animals (except the kittens) were adopted at adulthood and the teltale problems still happen. It's neat that this little guy won't have abuse problems or horrible teeth because someone thought scraps and candy were good for dogs.

The three cats who have the run of the house and the two dogs are all crashed in a half circle around me. Gumby is keeping my feet warm. Ran into problems with the spay/neuter situation so the girls trade off with free run with the boys right now.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:30 PM

977 posts, read 1,955,504 times
I have a black cat, her name is Mia and she just turned 10 years old. I remember her being active as a kitten, but not to the degree you described. She never really caused trouble, unlike my cat Lilly. She was very stand-offish and kind of a b¡tch when she was younger. She has gotten a lot more cuddly when it comes to people as she has gotten older. When it comes to other cats, she is still quite arrogant but usually gets along well with my other 2 cats (sisters, almost 8 years old). She just doesn't like Lilly bothering her all the time and will get upset and growl or hiss.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:08 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
My black kitten also has a patch of white on her lower tummy and a few white threads (angel kisses) Her wiskers lips and nose and paw leathers are black.

She also has Secret Stripes.

What you need to do is PLAY with your kitten every day and tire him out. Kittens need a lot of attention and interactive play time,

He is not evil. Kittens are the most innocent of souls. Play with him, every day, at least two long sessions, preferably at the same time each time.

You can also get another kitten for him to romp with so they will have one another and leave your senior cat alone.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:12 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I live only about 90 minutes from VIDALIA, GA -- only place in the world where Vidalia sweet onions grow! But I've never heard that onions are toxic to cats! Chocolate I knew about, and of course dairy products aren't supposed to be good for them, despite the myth. However, my 16-year-old Tabby absolutely LOVES Italian food. Anything that has tomato sauce in it, he comes running and licks the leftovers. And most spaghetti sauce has onions in it. I finally figured out after awhile that it's the oregano that's the attraction. Oregano is very similar to catnip.

Anyway, after posting my frustration last night about Walter the "devil" black cat, I have to say that he's been a little sweetheart today. Earlier tonight, I laid down on the couch to watch TV with pillow under my arm he came and laid on top of the pillow and went to sleep. Then I dozed off, and when I woke up an hour later he had slid off the pillow and was laying, upside down, between me and the pillow fast asleep.
Onions and garlic are toxic to cats, onions more so than garlic.

I too have a cat who loves tomato sauce, and there is no oregano, onion OR garlic in my sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats