Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:40 PM

418 posts, read 1,306,546 times

Advertisements

My neighbors had a black/brown/white cat who lived indoors and out right next to my 2 acres home. My white lab, Gracie, loved to chase it out of the yard and bark at it when she saw it outside. Well about a month ago, my neighbors moved away and I didn't think about it really until about 2 weeks later when Gracie and I were sitting outside on the patio.

We both hear this cat crying meows and I realize that it was the neighbor's cat and that they must have just left it when they moved. The poor cat looked so scrawny and weak, and patches of its hair where falling out. It was so starved I guess it finally got the nerve up and didn't care anymore about the dog, for it walked right up to both of us crying like a baby.

My Gracie is such a sweet dog, she must have known it was hurting for she didn't chase the cat or bark or anything when the cat came right up to her. Well, needless to say I have an outdoor cat now. She lives at my back door and under the porch for shade. She is strong and healthy again after me feeding her the best cat food you can buy. But here is the thing that gets me.

I never had a cat and didn't realize how dumb they are. It amazes me that she can't seem to learn or catch on to anything. I take her her food (not sure she is a she or a he really) and a little bit of milk two times a day/night. She never quits meowing when she hears me in the kitchen. I suppose she just wants inside with Gracie and me. But I have too many valuables and breakables for that. But what is so silly is that every time I take her her food, she can't seem to figure out that I set it down in the same place each time. She follows over to where I set it down and half the time follows me back to the door like she thinks I still have it. Same with her milk. Half the time I have to pretend I set it down again before she realizes it is right there in front of her.

She is not a very pretty cat, looking like she needs to go to a hairdresser. I can't imagine anyone wanting her, so I guess she is stuck with Gracie and I unless she decides to move on. I will feed her good food, but I am not going to spend money on a vet ever for her. All she does is sit on the porch, meow, and wait for me to come out to feed or pet her. I suppose people who like cats must just like to pet them, for I sure don't see what else they are good for. It sure seems like they aren't smart enough to do anything but eat, sleep, poop, and nag you until you pet them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 09:08 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,629,275 times
Beware_of_Dog, if you have such a low opinion regarding cats, why would you insult yourself by posting on a cat forum?

Old 09-22-2010, 10:57 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,017,378 times
Wow. Your post is as worthless as your feelings towards this cat. You know what...I think you're on here trying to stir up trouble. Absolutely disgusting.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:00 AM

41,729 posts, read 74,665,297 times
Do tell: What does your dog do, except eat, sleep, poop, and nag you to pet it? Dogs and cats aren't that much different. They eat, they sleep, they poop, they play, they interact with their humans. Cats aren't any more or less clumsy than dogs ("I suppose she just wants inside with Gracie and me. But I have too many valuables and breakables for that.").

Put yourself in your cat's shoes. Would you be starved for companionship and affection if you'd been abandoned by the family that you lived with? Of course you would. The cat wants you to feed it, certainly, but it also wants to be with you. It's lonely. ("She follows over to where I set it down and half the time follows me back to the door like she thinks I still have it.")

And would you be looking your best if you were living outdoors? Doubtful.

Perhaps you'd like cats a little more if you knew more about them. Seems to me this might be the first time you've ever been in contact with a cat. We're here to help.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:05 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,912,176 times
Sorry, but you actually seem like the unintelligent one. Perhaps you would be good enough to take this cat to a no-kill shelter so that it can be in a home where someone actually loves it. It is horrible how many people leave their animals behind when they move. We have had three just in our neighborhood which is very small. I would avoid feeding milk if I were you - most adult cats don't do well with it. But, this cat just wants someone to love it, to be inside a house. Not a crime in my book and certainly not dumb either.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:48 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,588,937 times
Cats need companionship, especially after being abandoned by its owner and left to die, this cat is starved for affection AND food. How would your dog react if you left her outside and only came out to give her food? I'm guessing she would be desperate for attention and love. She is meowing, begging you to bring her inside with you. If you get a scratching post and provide the kitty with other outlets to scratch she won't scratch your carpet or furniture. My cat doesn't destroy any part of my house because I've given him scratching posts and praised him when he scratches on them. I'm willing to bet this kitty would do far less damage to your house than your lab's tail would.

And I hate to break it to you, but if you were starved you would start losing your hair, and become weak from lack of nutrition. And just like dogs, cats need vet care, flea meds, etc. If you're not going to provide basic care for this cat, please take it to a no-kill shelter where they can find someone who will.

If you're going to continue feeding the cat at least feed it wet food and water (not milk).

Old 09-23-2010, 10:29 AM

113 posts, read 192,368 times
Last year we adopted two puppies (brother and sister) from the humane society. They were 12 weeks old. We had a pen for them to play in until they got used to us and so they wouldn't run off. I went to get them out of their pen and they didn't want to come out which was different since they were usually so happy to see me. Upon further inspection, they were protecting a kitten which was a bag of bones and filthy.

We bought cat food and fattened her up, the dogs licked her clean but we didn't let her in the house. Then we had her spayed for a nominal fee since she didn't seem to want to leave. We like cats but hadn't planned on having one. Well, soon we named her Amanda Blake, but we call her Miss Kitty. One night during a thunderstorm, she wanted to come in the house and came in and slept on the floor against one of the dog's bellies. She has slept inside almost every night ever since and has never bothered with a thing in the house. She goes to the door if she needs to go out.

She is now one of our greatest joys and she is no trouble at all and we love her. Can't imagine our life without her.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:29 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,302,147 times
The world of daftness never seems to stop amazing me.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:41 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,588,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau&Cloe View Post
We bought cat food and fattened her up, the dogs licked her clean but we didn't let her in the house. Then we had her spayed for a nominal fee since she didn't seem to want to leave. We like cats but hadn't planned on having one. Well, soon we named her Amanda Blake, but we call her Miss Kitty. One night during a thunderstorm, she wanted to come in the house and came in and slept on the floor against one of the dog's bellies. She has slept inside almost every night ever since and has never bothered with a thing in the house.
I'm going to have to request some pictures, this sounds ADORABLE!

Old 09-23-2010, 10:45 AM

41,729 posts, read 74,665,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau&Cloe View Post
She is now one of our greatest joys and she is no trouble at all and we love her. Can't imagine our life without her.
What a wonderful story! You and your puppies are good people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats