U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:58 AM

3,538 posts, read 4,220,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Later in Oct I'm going away for 4 days. I will have a cat sitter come in to check food/water/litter. However, the sitter will only be there for a 30 min. visit. My cat is very shy and hides from people she doesn't know, so she will probably run away and hide while any sitter is there.

My cat (1 yr old) is now an only-cat and there are no other pets (dog passed away 2 months ago). I'm worried about her getting lonely while I'm gone. I'm not ready to adopt another pet at this time, so that is not an option.

Any tips for keeping her from getting too lonely?

I was planning on keeping the plasma TV on so she'd have something to watch/listen to.

And for you safety conscious: yes, toilet lids remain closed in my house, cords are out of the way, and there is plenty of food/water/litter available at all times.
Your cat will definitely get lonely. However what you can do to help alleviate it is wear a shirt and then leave it in a common place that your cat hangs out very frequently. Your scent will comfort her.

How close are you and the cat sitter? Perhaps before you go, the sitter could come over and try spend some time with the cat. But if she is very shy as you state, getting used to the sitter will take a long time. So probably not the best route.

Get more of her favorite toys before you go and introduce them to her. Let her play with them.

Get a timer for your lights from a Home Depot or hardware store. Put one in the room where she spends her evenings when you're home. Set it to go on when it starts to get dark outside and turn it off at your normal bedtime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 01:14 PM

2,566 posts, read 3,601,983 times
She has access to my dirty laundry and that has my scent on it (lol).

I already use timers in my house and we have a routine set where I go upstairs when the lights go off.

I'm sure she'll be fine...I just feel 'guilty.'

Old 10-04-2010, 01:18 PM

4,254 posts, read 6,908,827 times
I think we all do, no matter how much effort we make on their behalf. Funny thing is, a friend of mine told me once that cats have no sense of time so they don't really notice if you're gone for 1 day or 10. I'm not sure I entirely agree with that. When I was gone for 2 weeks they definitely seemed happier and more excited to see me despite having a sitter come in every day. Of course, that happiness lasted about 30 minutes and then it was back to the usual barely concealed indifference

Old 10-04-2010, 04:02 PM

2,566 posts, read 3,601,983 times
Quote:
barely concealed indifference
Well at least yours make some effort at concealment!

Mine actually does follow me around some. She doesn't cuddle with me and doesn't want me holding her and she won't sit on my lap. The most she'll do is lay up against me in the middle of the night if she's cold. And that's only by default now that our golden is gone--she much preferred snuggling up to the golden, despite protestations and occasional grumbling from the dog.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:11 AM

3,859 posts, read 2,072,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
She has access to my dirty laundry and that has my scent on it (lol).

I already use timers in my house and we have a routine set where I go upstairs when the lights go off.

I'm sure she'll be fine...I just feel 'guilty.'

I wrote in another post that I put my unwashed workout sweatshirt in my kitty's bed (which she seldom sleeps in) while my daughter was sitting her, and she curled up in it the whole time. I know your kitty will be fine. Be prepared for a real welcome home when you get back. G. D. Cat clung to me like a tick for a long time.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 252 times
We are going on a trip for 2 weeks, and I was nervous about leaving our spoiled furbaby, but this made me feel better.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:26 PM

24,634 posts, read 29,686,890 times
I fell guilty, too, when I leave. When I get back I'm either ignored or loved to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats