Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2010, 05:39 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,684,206 times

Advertisements

Mods, please delete this thread.

Last edited by StarlaJane; 10-07-2010 at 06:46 PM..

Old 10-07-2010, 05:56 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
Why couldn't you close it in a room? If this cat is blind and declawed, it has basically no defenses. It depends on its sense of smell. So, although it was friendly at first, smells changed it became frightened. As would any of us if we were in the same position. You can have local shelters look up the tags to get an address and they may have other contact information on file. I would take it to a local no kill shelter so that they can hopefully help. Maybe put up some flyers saying that you found a cat, contact all your local shelters to say you found a cat and see if they have any missing reports. This cat belongs to someone that is probably pretty heartbroken right now. Hopefully nothing happens to it.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:07 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,240 times
I think that you just aughta let that cat go. I didn't get the sense that the cat was a vulnerable kitten getting ready to face it's first winter
outdoors and surviving in the wild. Consider this: The cat, (as you say) is blind and de-clawed, he's grown use to fending for himself, it's hearing and
sense of smell has become more acute because he's been robbed of his eyesight. I'm a tad confused as you say "I tried to bring it inside". I'm reading
the next sentence, as an affirmation that you did get kitty inside of your apartment. Perhaps you have been the first taste of kindness that this cat
has seen, his hissing might just mean that he hasn't learned how to return your kindness with more than a hiss. If trust is hard for us to master, how
much harder can it be for a creature that has only come to trust the wild? I realize that if the cat has tags, it was previously kept, owned by someone
who tagged it and being blind and adventurous, Puss might have decided to visit the queen and just wandered from home.

I've seen more than a few three-legged dogs and cats, seen enough to know that they adapt to their handicap, often faster and better than we,
as humans, do. Bless you for your compassion, St. Francis would be proud of you but be comforted by the fact that you showed one of God's creatures
a measure of kindness. Have faith that it was just an encounter between you and Tabby, you'll walk away knowing that you did the right thing and Kitty
will limp away with a meal and a memory of what it was like to be loved, if even for just an afternoon.

Alley said it best- "This cat belongs to someone that is probably pretty heartbroken right now"...

Old 10-09-2010, 03:09 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
I would never return a declawed blind cat to the streets. This animal is defenseless and probably only recently escaped it's home - or was possibly dumped. It needs protection until something is worked out for it's future.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:10 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
I agree. Poor kitty!

mod interpose: this thread is temporarily closed as the OP self-edited the opening post within the 90-minute time frame which essentially makes responses orphaned as additional responses can't really reply to the opening post as the details of that post are not visible. Thanks.

Last edited by scirocco22; 10-12-2010 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats