Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 10:12 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,543,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
I had to take my cat across country one summer. He was like most cats and went bananas in the car. So I began a training session. We sat in the car several times just for about ten minutes with no engine turned over. Then after that I turned over the motor and sat again. Did this several times throughout the day and week. He became quite nonchalant. Then we moved the car in the parking lot for a few minutes. After that I stepped it up and we circled the lot a few times a day and then finally a short ride. He went 1500 miles asleep in the front seat.
How old was the cat when you did this? I've been thinking of trying this, have been getting Amber used to the new carrier (decided to ditch the old one for the association that has) by putting treats in it for her to get. I've also closed her up in it a few times and carried it downstairs a couple times, and once into the garage where of course she already starts crying.

I could keep this up, but she's already 14 and I'm wondering if I can really teach an old cat a new trick. She needs to go back to the vet, and the last 3 times she has pooped in the carrier on the way, even though the last 2 of those 3 times were to a much closer vet than the first. (I had thought it was the long distance, originally, but now it has morphed into a habit. The 3 times were in the same carrier that I have since decided to move on from in an attempt to break the association.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 01:56 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,075,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
How old was the cat when you did this? I've been thinking of trying this, have been getting Amber used to the new carrier (decided to ditch the old one for the association that has) by putting treats in it for her to get. I've also closed her up in it a few times and carried it downstairs a couple times, and once into the garage where of course she already starts crying.

I could keep this up, but she's already 14 and I'm wondering if I can really teach an old cat a new trick. She needs to go back to the vet, and the last 3 times she has pooped in the carrier on the way, even though the last 2 of those 3 times were to a much closer vet than the first. (I had thought it was the long distance, originally, but now it has morphed into a habit. The 3 times were in the same carrier that I have since decided to move on from in an attempt to break the association.)
I really didn't know his age because he kind of adopted me. An orange marmalade cat with the smarts of a small kid. I would say he was well into middle-age though--not a youngster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats