U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 05:27 PM

1,727 posts, read 4,695,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I rotate the litterbox washing. As the boxes get low (scoopable litter) I move the used litter "forward" to the other boxes getting low, scrub the last box in the row and refill it with fresh new litter. The next time another box get's washed until I'm back to box#4. I never throw out scoopable litter. There's no smell from the missed tiny bits and the cats don't seem to mind them.
That is the EXACTLY what I do. I've only noticed stinky "left over" litter with certain brands. I am not a fan of Arm and Hammer, PetCo brand, Tidy Cat...the few that come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 05:58 PM

9,203 posts, read 9,758,552 times
Dr. Elsey's Premium Clumping Litter is very good (although it's very heavy/dense). And also, World's Best Cat Litter (multi-cat formula) is good too. I tend to mix whatever I have.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:46 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,214,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
Thanks Lottamoxie and JCity!

I think I messed up. I went to pet smart and spent an hour reading through most ingredients on the food and most everything had cornmeal in it. :/ I ended up leaving with Authority, because I could not afford the wellness. What do you think about this food? I'm hoping he will respond to it better. If not I will have to find a way to get the more expensive brand. I'm having some money issues... so I don't know how well I could keep up with the expense of wellness. Thanks all!
This site may help you decifer the ingredients of Authority:

Authority Adult Formula Dry Cat Food

Feeding wet food is more important than the quality of the food, according to www.catinfo.org (which is a trusted site here at C-D!). I leave dry food out for my kitties but if I feed them 3 meals of wet food per day and they mostly eat that. Try giving your kitty wet food at least twice per day and see how she does. By the way, I feed Natural Balance and I found it to be the cheapest higher quality food in Petco. It looks like it's sold in Petco but not Petsmart, not sure why that is. FYI: it looks like natural balance sells for $1.12 per 6 oz can at Petco and authority sells for $.79 per 6 oz can at Petsmart. It's a bit of a difference but if you can splurge, it will be worth it in the long run.

Last edited by J-CityRelo; 12-09-2010 at 10:56 AM..

Old 12-12-2010, 09:03 PM

281 posts, read 763,881 times
Thanks all for your advice.

I have a bit of good news. After a few days he's completely switched to Authority, and it seems his poops are much healthier sized and not as stinky. His gas is so much better too. I'm convinced the purina was making him sick. I don't know if I can stomach opening a can of wet food. lol I can try it, but I have a weak stomach. I could put on a mask like I do when I clean the litter. I love this cat so much though! He's fitting into our family so well... and now that he's really comfortable here he's starting to climb my curtains and other things lol.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:34 AM

9,203 posts, read 9,758,552 times
I'm glad you're seeing improvements, Heart.

The premium wet foods do not smell bad -- at least not the chicken/turkey ones, as those are the ones I use. The trick is to only put out a few tablespoons at a time, and keep the rest refrigerated, so the food stays fresh.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:44 AM

37 posts, read 35,337 times
Even though the unused litter in the box looks ok I still dump it out and wash it outside with the hose and bleach about once a month. If I don't do that I do smell a slight odor that smells like dead people eminating from the box. Plastic does hold in scent.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:19 AM

6,591 posts, read 21,997,046 times
i scoop daily, top up weekly and do a full dump and clean once a month for my one cat. when i dump/clean after scraping and washing i spray the entire box and lid inside and out with a bleach/water solution and let it air dry...cats are extreemly finiky and have an incredible sense of smell and plastic will retain odor after a while, so i like to take the time to de-ororize as i know my dogs would have a feild day if kitty decided to stop using the box.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:31 PM

13,773 posts, read 34,899,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
Thanks all for your advice.

I have a bit of good news. After a few days he's completely switched to Authority, and it seems his poops are much healthier sized and not as stinky. His gas is so much better too. I'm convinced the purina was making him sick. I don't know if I can stomach opening a can of wet food. lol I can try it, but I have a weak stomach. I could put on a mask like I do when I clean the litter. I love this cat so much though! He's fitting into our family so well... and now that he's really comfortable here he's starting to climb my curtains and other things lol.
Try Fancy Feast can.. it is a good food. I feed mine 1 can a day. If you have a Tractor Supply or Pet Depot near you they carry a good selection of cat food. I suggest you just try and find one that does not contain corn or wheat.

I usually scoop the litter boxes every other day

Old 06-09-2011, 08:11 PM

1,863 posts, read 2,883,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I have never dumped out clumping litter. I add more as needed, but do not throw out un-soiled litter.
How do you do this without the box stinking? I have the arm and hammer clumping litter, I still have to change the box every other day. I scoop daily, but the odor......peeeeyewwww

Old 06-09-2011, 08:39 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,849,283 times
We have 24 cats in our home and only 14 litter boxes for all of them. We prefer the non-clumping litter and I scoop every day (many days more than once) and I completely change litter every two weeks. I scrub the boxes out with hot soapy water about once a month except for one of the covered ones that gets used a LOT!!! I prefer Fresh Step litter and I tried the clumping type several times but find that it is really hard to get out of the corners of the box. I'm curious why you used the entire 18 pounds for just one small kitty. Litter only needs to be about 2-3 inches deep - personally I think you should be able to get at least 3 litter box changes out of that amount of litter. It's a personal choice of course, and I have found that all of them have considerable dust in them, regardless of what the bag says!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats