Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:30 AM

8 posts, read 354,057 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone -

I have a 15yo cat who has had IBD for close to a year now. Her main sympton is chronic and persistent (liquid consistency) diarrhea. Originally I took her in for a battery of tests and blood work, which all came back normal except that the vet determined her lower intesting was swollen and that she most likely was suffering from IBD. At that time I tried switching her food to healthier brands, and while she would get better for a few days, she eventually became completely intolerent. While I was comfortable with the thought of steroids, I did agree to trying a trial steroid that only lasted for a few days in the system, to see how her reaction was. I didn't help, so I didn't pursue more steroid use.

Since then I have tried every quality store bought food under the sun (all meat types as well). I've settled with Evo, but at this point it doesn't matter what I feed her, her symptoms are constantly present. I tried to make raw food as well. I fed it to her for about a week and it did no good.

A few weeks ago I thought she might pass away. She grew very thin, listless and wobbly on her feet. She had almost stopped eating completely. My boyfriend decided to take action and began feeding her all sorts of treats (the kind cat food that aggravate her the most) which she happily gobbled down. Yes she went to the bathroom A LOT, but she did put on a few pounds.

Fast forward to today. Last night within a half hour she vomited and had a liquid diarhhea episode (these typically occur 5 times per day) which got all over her paws so I had to wash them in the sink (happens a lot). She's always drinking a TON of water, always hungry since everything goes right through her.

I'm tired. She's tired. I really don't have the will to continue on like this, as my quality of home life has dropped dramatically in having to spend so much time cleaning and caring for her. I love her so much but I've made an appoitment to have her put to sleep on Friday. I guess I just want to know that it's ok to "give up", that other people have done this, and that I'm not missing out on some miracle cure they may have recently come up with.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story
Karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 11:08 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,016,626 times
I've read your post a couple of times before replying and to be honest there's one thing you said that really bothers me. You talk about the quality of YOUR home life declining and you're tired of cleaning up the cat all the time. The decision shouldn't be based on your quality of life but the cat's. When we adopt our pets it should be with the intention of a life time commitment to the pet. To me it sounds like you want to opt out for your sake because you're tired of taking care of the cat. I do understand that the cat is not feeling well and maybe euthanasia is the correct choice. This is a difficult topic for me as I have a messy 17 yr. old cat that I have to clean up all the time. She puts her whole face in the food dish and when she's done I wipe her down. She steps in the poo in the litter box and I clean her feet off. She's not in the best health either and I know some day I will have a decision to make BUT it will be based on her quality of life rather than mine.

You could take her for a second opinion or find a holistic vet who may have other options for the IBD. I truly wish the both of you the best.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:20 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,146,151 times
I am inclined to agree that putting a pet down simply because it has become inconvenient for you is not a good reason.

Has she been tested lately for thyroid, diabetes, CRF, or any of the other things that make older cats hungry and have unstable weight?

Have you tried more than 1 steriod treatment option?

Have you taken her to a different vet for a second opinion?

I would never "give up" on a pet. I do not have a very high opinion of people that do.

I also have an older cat with IBD. Buzz is 17. Buzz vomits, Buzz has nasty bowel movements. If I stick to the food I know works for him, make sure he eats controlled portions at regular intervals, and does not get stressed out he is just a normal cat. If I am not on my game he suffers a little, then I do some cleaning.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:34 AM

I figured I might get some high-and-mighty reply such as this, but I find it hurtful none-the-less. Sounds like I want to "opt out" of taking care of the cat? Wow, what a negative way to read into my post. I have tried almost all methods of helping her deal with IBD, albeit no long-term steriod use, and have not had any lasting success.

Yes, I'm tired. I wish I only had to wipe her face after eating. Must be nice. My cat has severe, liquid diarrhea that not only gets on her paws every time she's in the box, but the walls, the floor, the bedding, and the rugs when she can't make it to the box. And don't even get me started on the odor; it's really bad. We go through a box of litter per WEEK, and many, many cans of cat food. However I have persevered and tolerated her condition for many, many months because I love her. You think that the impact that has on me, or anyone in my situation, doesn't matter? Be realistic - it does. And I don't feel it indicates I am not committed to her.

The bottom line is my cat is unwell and is almost most certainly not going to get better. I wish she would just become so ill that it would be a no-brainer decision to put her down. I don't think she is in bad pain but is always tired, listless, uncomfortable and constantly craving food and water. Is the right thing to keep her going like this just because she's isn't too ill to move or care for herself? I am tormented by this question constantly.

I'm in a tough position and I'd welcome anyone's comments who have gone through a similar situation and can sympathize with the decision I have to make. I really don't want any more flaming or criticisms. Thank you.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I am inclined to agree that putting a pet down simply because it has become inconvenient for you is not a good reason.

Has she been tested lately for thyroid, diabetes, CRF, or any of the other things that make older cats hungry and have unstable weight?

Have you tried more than 1 steriod treatment option?

Have you taken her to a different vet for a second opinion?

I would never "give up" on a pet. I do not have a very high opinion of people that do.

I also have an older cat with IBD. Buzz is 17. Buzz vomits, Buzz has nasty bowel movements. If I stick to the food I know works for him, make sure he eats controlled portions at regular intervals, and does not get stressed out he is just a normal cat. If I am not on my game he suffers a little, then I do some cleaning.
She had complete bloodwork done and tested negative for any other disorders.

As I said I have tried the full spectrum of foods, from high-quality cat store brands, to cooked and ground chicken and pork, to raw. At this point, and for quite sometime, nothing helps.

Since the trial steroid didn't work I didn't feel comfortable trying any more because of the potential side-effects.

I don't care if you have a high opinion of me or not. You are not in my shoes. I have tolerated my cats condition FAR longer than most people would.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:55 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,146,151 times
So you have already made up your mind and are here looking for people to tell you that you are doing the right thing? You are not likely find any.

I also used to have to clean walls, floors, stairs, etc. Multiple times every day. Then I put 4 extra litter boxes out so that he did not have to make such long trips to get to the box. I use closed boxes to minimize the area at risk.

In your OP you state that "the vet determined her lower intesting was swollen and that she most likely was suffering from IBD" You don't actually even have a dignosis.

Yes, it does sound like you are "opting out".

Old 10-19-2010, 12:12 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,016,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustgyrl View Post
I figured I might get some high-and-mighty reply such as this, but I find it hurtful none-the-less. Sounds like I want to "opt out" of taking care of the cat? Wow, what a negative way to read into my post. I have tried almost all methods of helping her deal with IBD, albeit no long-term steriod use, and have not had any lasting success.

Yes, I'm tired. I wish I only had to wipe her face after eating. Must be nice. My cat has severe, liquid diarrhea that not only gets on her paws every time she's in the box, but the walls, the floor, the bedding, and the rugs when she can't make it to the box. And don't even get me started on the odor; it's really bad. We go through a box of litter per WEEK, and many, many cans of cat food. However I have persevered and tolerated her condition for many, many months because I love her. You think that the impact that has on me, or anyone in my situation, doesn't matter? Be realistic - it does. And I don't feel it indicates I am not committed to her.

The bottom line is my cat is unwell and is almost most certainly not going to get better. I wish she would just become so ill that it would be a no-brainer decision to put her down. I don't think she is in bad pain but is always tired, listless, uncomfortable and constantly craving food and water. Is the right thing to keep her going like this just because she's isn't too ill to move or care for herself? I am tormented by this question constantly.

I'm in a tough position and I'd welcome anyone's comments who have gone through a similar situation and can sympathize with the decision I have to make. I really don't want any more flaming or criticisms. Thank you.
I had to put 2 cats to sleep last year so I've been through this. My messy kitty also spreads the poop around every where which means more laundry for me but I don't whine about it or wish her to get seriously ill so it would be a no-brainer to have her euthanizied. Who even thinks like that? I think you're just looking for someone to say, "go ahead and put her to sleep" so that you don't have to deal with any guilt.

Pets are a lot of work and you have to take the bad with the good. They get sick, their poop stinks, etc. If you can't handle the bad then don't get one. I could go on and on about the sacrifices I've made in my life for my cats but I don't because it was my CHOICE to have them and I have NO regrets.

Honestly, I really feel for your cat.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:59 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,506,458 times
It's a tough decision, as you are the only one walking in your shoes.

We had a girl with IBD, we put vinyl down over all our carpet and invested in paper towels. It was hard for us. We were in the middle of a cross-country move to my new job. She had many check ups by vets along the road, and we did sub-Qs daily.

She was happy. She'd projectile vomit 7 times a day and then rush over for a kiss and another meal. She'd sleep with us and purr like no tommorrow. She was boney as could be, but still very playful. She was not ready to go.

Shortly after we arrived in our new location, she had a seizure and we had to let her go. She lived to be 14.

3 years later, we still have her brother (hyperT radiocat) and her sister (small cell lymphoma).

Old 10-19-2010, 01:20 PM

4,482 posts, read 9,242,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustgyrl View Post
Hi Everyone -

I have a 15yo cat who has had IBD for close to a year now. Her main sympton is chronic and persistent (liquid consistency) diarrhea. Originally I took her in for a battery of tests and blood work, which all came back normal except that the vet determined her lower intesting was swollen and that she most likely was suffering from IBD. At that time I tried switching her food to healthier brands, and while she would get better for a few days, she eventually became completely intolerent. While I was comfortable with the thought of steroids, I did agree to trying a trial steroid that only lasted for a few days in the system, to see how her reaction was. I didn't help, so I didn't pursue more steroid use.

Since then I have tried every quality store bought food under the sun (all meat types as well). I've settled with Evo, but at this point it doesn't matter what I feed her, her symptoms are constantly present. I tried to make raw food as well. I fed it to her for about a week and it did no good.

. . .

I'm tired. She's tired. I really don't have the will to continue on like this, as my quality of home life has dropped dramatically in having to spend so much time cleaning and caring for her. I love her so much but I've made an appoitment to have her put to sleep on Friday. I guess I just want to know that it's ok to "give up", that other people have done this, and that I'm not missing out on some miracle cure they may have recently come up with.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story
Karen
As my cats get older (15, 12, 9) I think about these things, and I don't know the answer for myself or for you.

I read on this website: Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) in Cats that the change in diet should include only foods the cat has never had before, and that if it's going to help it will start to make a difference in about two weeks. I might try the home-made meat diet (maybe duck) for two weeks to see what would happen. I wouldn't include potato, though, although the website gives it as an example. Cats don't need potatoes; they need protein.

The website also lists possible treatments besides the steroids. It says, "One of the most common mistakes in treating inflammatory bowel disease is to stop medication too early." So it might help to try again, if you can afford it.

We love our cats like children, but they are not children. There is nothing wrong with having her put to sleep, and I'm sorry you're getting so much judgment on this forum.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
It's a tough decision, as you are the only one walking in your shoes.

We had a girl with IBD, we put vinyl down over all our carpet and invested in paper towels. It was hard for us. We were in the middle of a cross-country move to my new job. She had many check ups by vets along the road, and we did sub-Qs daily.

She was happy. She'd projectile vomit 7 times a day and then rush over for a kiss and another meal. She'd sleep with us and purr like no tommorrow. She was boney as could be, but still very playful. She was not ready to go.

Shortly after we arrived in our new location, she had a seizure and we had to let her go. She lived to be 14.

3 years later, we still have her brother (hyperT radiocat) and her sister (small cell lymphoma).
Thank you, MssNM.

I thought about putting something around the wall and litterbox area to make clean up easier. Thank God I'm renting an older apartment and the landlord doesn't come over that frequently, that's all I can say . My boyfriend has been a tremendous help in caring and cleaning up after Chloe. We have another cat who's 14 that I think has a touch of IBD but nothing to the extent of my cat.

I can't say Chloe is happy, and that is what I struggle with. She often seems sad and lifeless. I'm sure she's suffering from some degree of malnutrition, since she can't be absorbing nutrients properly. Lately she has been very affectionate. I can't tell if she's telling me it's time or if she's telling me she's ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats