U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 05:51 AM

4,186 posts, read 4,379,280 times
It's not medicine, It's just probiotics, live active cultures. I use Probios, but I know many people who like Benebac. Those are gels. Fortiflora is a powder made by Purina which is highly palatable, but it is more expensive.

You can also just get acidophillus capsules and sprinkle the contents of over the cat's food. I'm not sure how much you would use, doing that though. Not very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 24,342 times
Default Cats and pumpkin

Hi,
My vet told me that a little pumpkin can help with hairballs...she was right ! She told me to give them a small spoonful as a treat, which I tried, but they wouldn't eat it. So I started mixing it with their wet food (grain free) - I don't think they like it as much but for the most part they eat it. However, I can definitely tell when they have not had any...I am greeted usually the next day with kitty puke on the floor ! Make sure it is the natural pumpkin - it is full of fiber and other good stuff !

Old 11-22-2010, 06:09 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,247,841 times
Thanks again everyone. And just to update, I've been giving her pumpkin daily for last 3 days (about 1/3 can gone in 3 days or about 5 oz) & she loves it & eats it w/ wetfood. But I wonder if you can give too much beta carotene/fiber/sugar, etc. (it is Trader Jo's Organic can pumpkin, w/ zero sodium) for cats? I'd keep giving her about a few spoons daily, if it is ok, but won't if it is too much pumpkin. Anyone know?

Old 11-22-2010, 06:24 PM

You know, the vitamin A might be a concern. Cats can develop a toxicity if they get too much vitamin A, but I'm not sure how much is too much.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:57 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,247,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
You know, the vitamin A might be a concern. Cats can develop a toxicity if they get too much vitamin A, but I'm not sure how much is too much.
Thanx but I'm pretty sure beta-carotene only makes the Vit. A a cat needs & isn't toxic (other than gas or tummy aches if too much). She seems to like it & I mix in a half teaspoon w/ every meal this wk (about 3-4 small meals daily). I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 6,054 times
A small amount of fresh greens like spinach and romaine diced very small and mixed in the food works very well. Helps with consitpation, IDB, and gives vitamins/minerals. They're less likely to eat grasses outside which can cause them to ingest heavy fertilizers. From years working with cats I have found that they need greens.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:31 PM

6,546 posts, read 4,829,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
The vet prescribed canned pumpkin for one of our cats who was constipated.
Do your cats get constipated on canned food?

Old 03-27-2011, 06:38 PM

6,546 posts, read 4,829,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginglayo View Post
A small amount of fresh greens like spinach and romaine diced very small and mixed in the food works very well. Helps with consitpation, IDB, and gives vitamins/minerals. They're less likely to eat grasses outside which can cause them to ingest heavy fertilizers. From years working with cats I have found that they need greens.
I you Google "why do cats eat grass" you'll come up with all kinds of answers. The vets I worked with believed it was to help hack up hair balls. And with my cats that's what sometimes happens. I bring in nice clumps of grass for them to chew and all three love it. I put the clump (with soil) in a large flower pot saucer, near their food bowls. None will eat things like lettuce or spinach or chard. They can't digest grass and it tangles with the slimy hairballs making it easier for the cat to pass or hack up.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginglayo View Post
Spinach is not really good for cats, I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 5,989 times
My cat loves canned pumkin. He acts like he can not get enough of it. I give it to him for diarreah.
It helps, but it is always best to see a vet to make sure nothing else is wrong with their tummy (such as worms). The first time I gave him pumpkin, I used a small can mixed with a small full can of chicken flavor wet food. I noticed he ate around the chicken chunks, prefering the plain pumpkin. The second time I just used plain old canned pumpkin and he loved it. My kitty only eats dry food, so maybe that was why he was disnterested in the chicken chunks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats