Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:28 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,007 times

Advertisements

OP - you need to remember that cats take about three days to rid themselves of whatever is in their system - good, bad or indifferent. The effect you think you saw from the Panacur isn't from the Panacur, it's still the Flagyl.

Don't get me wrong, because in your shoes I'd have stopped all meds some time ago, but PLEASE do check with your vet about stopping the flagyl mid-course if one of the cats hasn't yet completed it &/or only just started. (Antibiotic resistant bacteria and all that....)

However, there's a very good case for ceasing and desisting every single thing that isn't pure, easily digestible protein at this point - IMHO anyway. Leave off with the probiotics too. Just feed plain boiled chicken for some days (add the cooking water for extra moisture for as long as the cats are still having diarrhea) and give the cats' systems a chance to rest and recover. Intestinal flora will right itself in due course - Mother Nature's kind of handy like that. Very small meals fed more often than usual so the system doesn't get overloaded.

Bottoms should be gently washed with just warm water (if your cat will allow it) and you want to dress it. I remember we had a special creme for Maggie's poor backside. I can't remember the name, but it was for burns - because effectively that's what you are treating: a burn caused by consistant contact with a(n) acid/highly alkaline (can't remember which it is ) substance. Any type of barrier creme will do - call the vet for recommendations - but you need to stop the sore skin coming into contact with excrement.

A recurrence of the prolapse.... it suggests straining, which would suggest to me that he's cramping (which leads to straining) and I'd still suggest this is all a by-product of flagyl. It will take at least 72 hours until it's out of his system. Hopefully, you'll see an improvement once it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 08:51 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,721 times
The flagyl was only supposed to be given for 5 days and this will be the 3rd day he's not taking it so we'll see. I'm giving the panacur for 5 days too, per the vet. I will start him on some boiled chicken mixed with a little water. And I'll look into getting him some creme for his bottom, I know it must be sore, thanks FiveHorses!!!

PacificFlights: I've been sanitizing like a clean freak lately! I probably wash my hands 20 times a day! I start wiping by the litter box and then in another area of the room and I think what the hell I'll mop the whole room! And I'm using nontoxic household products... it may be the right thing, but I'm hesitant about quaranteening them, they love each other and I don't want to interfere with their bonding. This is the first time I've seen Cooper actually playing and interacting this close with another kitty. Yesterday Cooper almost licked him, they were nose to nose for a full 10 seconds.

Cooper is eating now but the past couple nights he's thrown up foam/bile. I'm sure I'll have to take him to the vet too soon *sigh* but for now Cooper is back on his natural balance food and has a good appetite and his vomiting is less frequent which I'm taking to be a good sign.

Last edited by J-CityRelo; 10-29-2010 at 09:04 AM..

Old 10-29-2010, 10:07 AM

451 posts, read 999,382 times
Wow! Don't we just all hate it when the animals are suffering. It fairly freaks me out just reading what you are going through. Thank God that cats really are tough!

We're out here pulling for all of you: J-CityRelo, Cooper and Fritz! You'll get through this somehow.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:40 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
so, how'd the rest of the day go in the j-city infirmary??

jokes aside, hope both those little fellas are on the mend.....

Old 11-01-2010, 10:47 AM

So no improvement yet. I finally was able to get in touch with Fritz's foster mom and she said the kittens had diarrhea when she first took them in and she gave them yogurt and Albon... albon is for coccidia so I'm assuming that's what they had. But all Fritz's fecals were negative for parasites so why would he still be having the diarrhea if he doesn't have coccidia anymore? I'm going to call the vet today *sigh*

I'm so ready to be done with this diarrhea!!!!

Things I wish never transpired:

-Seeing poop footprints on the floor
-Picking up Fritz, realizing he's wet and then discovering it's poop and *surprise* he and I are BOTH now covered in it
-Waking up in the morning and after putting on my glasses realizing that there are spots of poop on my PILLOW and that snuggling we were doing was merely a way to get the poop off of him and onto me!
-Having to scrub my house from top to bottom on a daily basis

Is god preparing me for kids? OK... never-ending poop...non-toxic wipes and me are BFF... it's a lot of work - I get it! enough already!

Old 11-01-2010, 11:14 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,588 times
Ooh gosh! Hang in there.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:33 AM

451 posts, read 999,382 times
So sorry that you and the cats are still stuck in this situation. As strange as it seems, a diet of water with liquid nutrients added often works to cure diarrhea in humans. But all milk-related dairy (including yogurt) are terribly hard on cat's digestion.
I'm not a vet, so please check with yours, but I betting that removing solid food, all dairy and a liquid nutrient diet for a couple of days may cure this condition. In any event, I hope and pray that all mend soon!

mg

Old 11-04-2010, 02:47 PM

Fritz still has diarrhea... I don't know what else to do. I'm starting to think that he will always have it... he's on a diet of raw chicken with a little rice and a teaspoon of yogurt and taking Albon. I'm giving him the yogurt because his foster mom emailed me and said she gave them yogurt and albon when they were babies and it helped clear up the diarrhea. She was also feeding friskies dry food, which I really don't want to do because it's crap, but I will do anything at this point to help him.

How can boiled chicken give him diarrhea? Isn't it the easiest thing to digest?... what do I do? If I sound desperate, IT'S BECAUSE I AM. Can kittens have diarrhea forever and survive? The vet says keep giving the albon for 10 days and then if he's still not better we'll try something else. I've been doing so much research online about kitten diarrhea and can't find anything new, except I did read something about a kitten who had issues with his anal glands, but the vet did a rectal exam and said everything was normal...

Please tell me what to do.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:03 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
If this were me I would seek a second opinion. I mentioned this before and you told me that you have great confidence in your vet. Sometimes a fresh set of eyes can make the difference.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:17 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Agree /\ /\
A second opinion may we warrented and if the results are they find nothing physical causing it, quarantine protocals are in order!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats