U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-31-2010, 04:24 PM

34 posts, read 56,514 times

Advertisements

My neighbors decided to multiply and replenish the cat population and now I am dealing with their cats climbing up in my trees. Normally I would mind however they are tearing off limbs and pine needles. I have asked my neighbors if they can try to do something however nothing is being done at this point.

I know I could line the bottom of my trees with chicken wire I just don't like the look of that. Is there anything I can hang in the tree to keep them away from it? I would prefer something that I don't have to change/check every day.

Thanks for any help. Tried to do a search but couldn't see anything. And no I don't want to get a dog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 07:17 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,516,586 times
I'd say any tree limb that falls because of a cat's weight is ready to fall anyway, unless the cat is the size of a lion! Pine trees shed their pine needles fall all the time, storms with wind blow them down a lot!

Of all the damage a cat may do, this is the first I have heard of them breaking limbs. If you think cats are a problem, what about squirrels? They love trees and run & romp in them..

I think the problem could be the tree if indeed the cats are breaking the limbs in it...there is something wrong with that tree! (of coarse, I am thinking of the big pine trees we have around where I live and these are easy to break or fall in storms))

But to answer your question as to how to keep the cats out of your tree.. try wrapping tin foil around the tree. Cats do not like tin foil, you will not need to keep it on there forever, just long enough to break the habit of them getting on the tree..

Old 11-01-2010, 09:10 AM

1,688 posts, read 3,898,478 times
You can get a kind of "collar" that goes around the trunk that will stop the cats getting up in the tree - although it won't stop them getting on the trunk.

Purr...fect Fence - Photo Gallery

If you go the the "installation" tab, there's a PDF for a DIY tree baffle.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:48 AM

8,685 posts, read 12,474,980 times
Cats damaging pine trees is nonsense.

Having said that, you are entitled to look into your trees and not see cats. But collars around the trees a few feet up from the base. A nice piece of green plastic with a hole cut in the center and slit to the whole and stapled together to make a collar pointing downward will do the job. And, it will also keep the squirrels off too.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:25 PM

6,152 posts, read 9,327,824 times
i can see them dislodging loose pine needles, but breaking limbs? what kind of cats are these? theyd have to be some big kitties to drop a healthy tree limb, my friends main coon is 15 lbs and can walk on some of the tiniest of branches without a single shake!

however if you want to keep them out of the triees id try the collar or once a month or so spray the first 4 ft with coyote or bobcat urine (hunters store) usually keeps them away. we used it in the past on the pole our bat box is on when one of our neighbors cats was climbing up to catch them at dusk.
he doesnt come back anymore.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:13 PM

34 posts, read 56,514 times
Thanks for the suggestions!

Those of you with comments about the tree damage are surely entitled to your opinions.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,838 times
Unhappy How to Keep cats out of your tree

I feel your pain. Our neighbor takes in stray cats and takes no responsibility for neutering them. Now we have a cat problem in our neighborhood. While I am an animal lover, I do not feel it my responsibility to deal with all these cats. Being an animal lover includes birds, squirrels, bunnies also. We are trying to keep the cats out of our trees this spring for the sake of the birds nests. It is a horrible experience for your granddaughter sitting at your breakfast and experiencing a cat climbing your tree and taking the baby birds and the mother bird frantically chirping to no avail. We have tried several methods to no avail. Our other neighbor was advised to try moth balls, so now we have to deal with the smell of moth balls, along with the smell of the cats doing their business in our mound which they have claimed. Still looking for the answer to the cat problem.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:05 PM

3,050 posts, read 1,647,896 times
Would coyote or bobcat urine lure other coyotes, bobcats, or other more dangerous predators than cats to your yard?

If not, it sounds like a great idea. Coyotes regularly dine on cats, you would think any cat with a lick of sense would avoid an area that smelled of them.

For a person who is an animal lover in an area where neighbors have caused a feral/stray/outdoor cat problem, it's worth considering (if you're willing to put in the effort) seeing if TNR is possible. Even if you don't want to pay for the spay/neuter procedures, you might find support from Alley Cat Allies or some other organization to get these cats fixed so at least the area won't continue to get more and more overpopulated with 'em.

I know I've got a neighbor who lets a cat come and go out the back door, and another one down the street where I've seen two cats wandering into their yard off the street (could be more)...and the other night I heard a cat or cats yowling and catarwauling...sure hoped it wasn't the sound of mating activities I was hearing. Could have been though. 'Tis the season. I sure wish these people could keep their cats in. I dread the day I'm unable to avoid one in my car, or have to see one of them dead on the road by my house. Seeing cats dead on the road makes me feel like someone has punched me in the stomach. I hate it. Nevermind their poop in my yard, and their noise at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats