Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 12:51 PM

18 posts, read 79,129 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm new here and have a question about my cat. A year ago I changed my male cat's food to Wellness can cat food 2 times a day and 1/4 cup Wellness dry food. He seemed to be ok with the Wellness but now he is becoming finicky about certain flavors. I have tried to only feed him the chicken, turkey, beef flavors and very limited seafood/fish varities. He is now becoming finicky about the chicken and turkey. Sometimes he will just plainly turn up his nose at it. I was wondering would it be ok to add another brand of natural can cat food to mix it up to keep him interested in can food? I still would like to keep Wellness as his main wet food brand. He is doing so much better on wet food and I want to keep his dry limited. What other brands do you recommend as far as can food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 08:44 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,310,567 times
I feed my cats Wellness Core, too, but I also will give them Fancy Feast gluten free. You have to be careful to only get the gluten free. It comes in several flavors. I avoid any seafood because of the mercury levels.

They also get Halo and Blue Buffalo. I change it around so they won't get bored. In other words, they are spoiled.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:13 PM

18 posts, read 79,129 times
Thank you for your response. I have tried to get him to eat what is served to him but after 2 months he won't go along with it. So, in the end I just wanted to get some advice of other who feed other brands. I bought some Blue Buffalo chicken and turkey and will slowly give it to him mixed in with his other food. My cat has me wrapped around his little paw so I gave into buying another kind. Crazy how that cute little meow gets to me.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:21 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,049 times
I feed Natural Balance canned and Blue Buffalo dry. My kitties like it. I also give Cooper the Fancy Feast appetizers on occasion because he loves them... and he's spoiled of course Recently the fancy feast got him eating again after he took up a hunger strike and scared the bejesus out of me! You may want to try it.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:46 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,049,484 times
I'd recommend adding another brand of wet food. That is what worked for me. My cats all eat Blue Buffalo dry food and a combination of wet food. I have an older female who will eat almost anything. She has a thyroid problem now and just wants to eat all day.

I have a young male who mostly eats dry food and a little wet food if he likes the flavor (tuna, beef). He was always picky but happy to eat dry food. It took about 5 years (!!) to find out that he really liked beef and would eat that also. However, I still can't get him to eat much wet food.

My other male cat is getting more and more picky. He's a great cat, but I now have to buy 3 or 4 different brands and 3 or 4 different flavors of each one. The really frustrating thing is that I will buy "By Nature" cat food which is pretty good quality. I can't get this cat to eat the good stuff, only the other crappy cat food that I still buy for him.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:31 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,643,570 times
Hm, maybe I should try beef again. The only thing I've figured out so far is no pate-type stuff. Which rules out almost everything! I finally got some Blue Buffalo little cans that are sliced and flaked. Tried one so far, no go on that either. Insane. I thought some variety might be good because her old standby (Tiki Cat chicken and tuna mixed) doesn't always disappear like it did for a while. But it's the only one I've really had any luck with her touching.

Maybe it's really just the tuna that does it. She didn't really eat the plain chicken from Tiki. I'll have to try some other tuna mixtures and see. I know she really shouldn't have tuna all the time, but heck, she's 14, she can have what she wants. It's probably better than eating just dry. She still eating some dry and after going through almost a whole bag of Instinct (which she did eat, sort of at least) I got some Wellness Core and looks like she might like that more. (Great, it's even more expensive than the other ones!) Won't touch Wellness cans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats